YourMicro.com - HPI Micro RS4, Losi Mini-T, XRay M18, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, M18, M18T, RC18T, Mini-LST, Mini-T, Micro RS4, XRay, 1/18, 18th scale
M18 Hop-Ups, M18 Parts, Mini-LST Hop-Ups, Mini-LST Parts, Kyosho, Atomic, 3Racing, Country Alloy Works, Castle Creations, Trinity, Intellect, United RC, Battery Packs, 2/3A
Old 02-10-2009, 12:36 AM

Help - Tekmodel 18A ESC Set up

Hey guys,

Just received my Tekmodel 18A ESC to go with my Castle 4200kv. Got it all installed and plugged in, but im having a problem... I am trying to do the setup procedure, but the esc does not seem to be connecting to my (stock) receiver.
(Im following these directions - page 3 - http://www.hobbywing.com/upload/manu...)_20080102.pdf

When I hold the set button, then switch the esc "On" I can get the light to blink red. When I tap the set button again (with no finger on throttle control in order to set neutral position) the light sometimes goes to solid red and sometimes completely goes off (instead of blinking green). I cant figure it out.

Another strange thing is that I cant get the servo to work either. So not only am I unable to set the throttle/break/neutral parameters, but I have no steering either. This makes me think that something simple must be wrong, but I have no idea. I know the unit is getting power because the red light comes on and blinks when I hold the set button.

It may also have to do with step A on the instructions for setup. It gives the procedure for the Futaba radio system, but thats not what im using. The instructions state "set the direction of throttle channel to ”REV”,
set the “EPA/ATV” value of throttle channel to “100%”, and disable the “ABS” brake function of your transmitter."
Not quite sure if I can do this with the stock RC18MT radio. Could that be my issue???

I am pretty perplexed... Anyone have any ideas for me? Im hoping im just leaving some obvious detail out!

Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RERacing View Post
YES!!!

1) The throttle ATV controls are clearly marked on the stock AE radio (TH.ATV), and are the top two of the four knobs to the left of the steering wheel.
2) The throttle reversing switch is on the left side of the radio, if you are holding the radio with the wheel facing you, and is also clearly marked (TH) with the other marked to reverse the steering.

If you do not adjust these as per the instructions when using any aftermaket ESC you will have problems, much as you currently are.

The best way to avoid most rc-related problems is to always always always follow the directions, and read and understand them before undertaking any changes of equipment - and the surefire way to "be perplexed" is to not follow the directions.
As per the instructions, I previously turned both ATV controls to max and switched the throttle servo to reverse. This did absolutely nothing, which is why I thought I did something wrong.

I can get the red flashing light, but when I press the set button again, it still either goes solid red, or turns off. I still have no power to the servo as well... Strange. Any other ideas for me? I would greatly appreciate it!
Old 02-11-2009, 07:23 PM

Well I figured it out! It was a simple plug issue. Once that was sorted, the servo worked and it allowed me to go into program mode!

Of course now its pouring rain outside, so I cant really try it! Torture!