YourMicro.com - HPI Micro RS4, Losi Mini-T, XRay M18, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, M18, M18T, RC18T, Mini-LST, Mini-T, Micro RS4, XRay, 1/18, 18th scale
M18 Hop-Ups, M18 Parts, Mini-LST Hop-Ups, Mini-LST Parts, Kyosho, Atomic, 3Racing, Country Alloy Works, Castle Creations, Trinity, Intellect, United RC, Battery Packs, 2/3A
Old 04-22-2008, 09:58 AM

Send a message via MSN to Nerve
Post painted body help

Painted up a micro rs4 body this past weekend (first body I have painted). Basically im happy enough with the exterior look of the paint job. I do have some imperfections and darker lines where the paint met up with the painters tape I was using. But other then that I think it looks good.

Now, I gave the second colour two coats last night, one around 7pm and one around 7:30pm. I tried to keep it light and not overload the paint on there. By about 8pm I was working on the wing (painted friday) and by about 9-10pm last night I had placed the somewhat freshly painted body on top of my micro to start seeing about cutting out the wheels, post holes etc.

Now, from the body just resting on the top of my micro (post holes and internal antenna) I noticed that some paint had actually rubbed away from where it was resting. The internal antenna had basically scratched some paint away and the body posts left "dents" into the paint. So I left it for last night and would see about this morning to see if the paint had hardened. I went down this morning before work and I was still able to leave a "finger nail dent" when I pressed my nail up to it.

Based off that, I would assume that either the paint was still sprayed on too thick and the paint probably isn't adhering to the first colour of paint and possibly the body itself where the 2nd colour is.

I did wash the body out with dish soap & water (last year) and I did dry it out with a dish towel and let it air dry. I used green painters tape to mask off the second colour. I did not however use denatured alcohol where the tape was to clean up the body again. Nor did I use it across the whole body.

I used:
Pactra blue metallic (first colour painted on hood / roof / half of doors)
Pactra indy silver (second colour painted trunk / rear end / lower doors)

Rattle cans were heated up a minute or two in hot tap water.

Some pics before the second colour so you get an idea:

I will try to take some photos of the finished body tonight and I will place a desk lamp behind it so you can see the scratches / dents in the roof and front body post areas.

My next body I will be cutting / trimming / mounting before I paint. I know why its recommended to do that before hand.

thanks for any help or feedback.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alfred Send a message via MSN to alfred Send a message via Yahoo to alfred
Did you back the paint up with backer paint.....usually it would be white or silver.........
Spektrumized
Old 04-22-2008, 03:25 PM

Yep.

The blue was my first (lower/darker) colour and I sprayed about 2 coats on there. Then I used the Indy silver for the rear / upper colour and backed the rest of the blue area with silver as well.

The whole underside is silver.

In my other forum I posted this on. They have been saying that it sounds like I put too much paint on. I tried to keep it somewhat low, but also being a newbie at this. It could very well be I put too much on.

Oops... LOL.

check back for pics tonight !
Old 04-22-2008, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alfred Send a message via MSN to alfred Send a message via Yahoo to alfred
Well do man.......
Spektrumized
Old 04-22-2008, 09:49 PM

pix ..

As mentioned to anyone that may have been checking out this thread I just started ... some pics.

I just got back upstairs to upload the photos I just snapped of the body. I wanted to show it to you guys to see what you think about it after the second colour.

My analysis ... the fresh paint smell seems to have really dissipated and the paint seems like it has hardened a lot more since this morning. I did notice it seemed harder to chip off paint using my finger nail. But it is still possible when I forced it. It would only take off a finger nail sized sliver piece. It doesn't seem like it would "flake" a section off. So maybe it just needed a good 24-48hrs to fully dry before touching (note to self).

anyhoo .. here are some pics I just snapped. I was in a bit of a rush tonight so the pics aren't the greatest.

Side view, wing mounted and some decals

This photo shows what my internal antenna did to the inside of the body (just from resting). Yes you are looking at the top side of the car with light shining on the bottom of it.

This photo shows the marks left by the body posts. If you look close enough you see two grey circles. Those are not holes, but just a grey sharpie.

This photo has my desk lamp under the body shining towards the rear. To me that seems like I almost didnt put enough on it. However, when looking at the body under normal lighting from the back, it looks fine.

So what I will probably end up doing is giving the inside a "spritz" of paint just in those area's and then leave it again for a day or 2 and then see about cutting/mounting it etc.

I guess i just figured the paint would have dried a lot faster then it did.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:00 PM
Super Moderator

Glad it was just that man.......you need to be patient man...lol....and if you want it too dry faster keep the body in a cool room, where it is a bit warm. I try to put mine up on a shelf in the closet since i know i wont be opening and closing the door much. And another good tip also is i like to trim the body first before i spray on any paints.....so this way when your trimming the body the scissors dont scrap the paint.
Spektrumized
Old 04-22-2008, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfred View Post
Glad it was just that man.......you need to be patient man...lol....and if you want it too dry faster keep the body in a cool room, where it is a bit warm. I try to put mine up on a shelf in the closet since i know i wont be opening and closing the door much. And another good tip also is i like to trim the body first before i spray on any paints.....so this way when your trimming the body the scissors dont scrap the paint.
Ooooh yeah. I found that tip AFTER I had already painted it. Well, everyone has to go and learn it themselves. My next body (crawler body) will be done by cutting it out and mounting it. Well, once the new upper (vs side) mounts come in stock @ the LHS that is.

The other good thing about trimming before painting ... using less paint.

Our basement is somewhat cool and that is where I left it all day.

Anyways, what do you think about it ? It isn't the most original idea.. but well for a first body. I had to do something relatively simple without using just a single colour.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:06 PM
Super Moderator

i like it man......for me i would have done it in orange or yellow, it just makes it easier to see and it looks good.
Spektrumized
Old 04-22-2008, 10:09 PM

Quote:
i like it man......for me i would have done it in orange or yellow, it just makes it easier to see and it looks good.
Hmmmm good point. Easier to see when its zipping around the track. I just saw the blue and I liked it, so silver backed it up.

We have a racer with a 1:12 pan car and he used flourescent (hot) pink colours for his lid. It looks good and it is easy to see. LOL.

Orange or yellows might be an idea tho for the next season
I do have a 1:14 Sportwerks Recoil body to paint @ some point ..
Old 04-22-2008, 10:12 PM
Super Moderator

cool man, when you get done painting it post them up here....would love to see them for sure.
Spektrumized
Old 04-23-2008, 01:10 PM

Quote:
cool man, when you get done painting it post them up here....would love to see them for sure.
Oh yeah eventually I will be. Should be quiet for the RS4 as its the "off season" and I won't be starting back up with it until the fall. I will probably race it again. But I think next sesaon is it going to get GPM delrin spur gears and a used Mamba 25 and BL !
Old 04-23-2008, 01:40 PM
Super Moderator

sounds like a plan man........
Spektrumized
Old 05-08-2008, 09:58 PM

Updated photos of the body:
(forgot to post these up)

The upper wheel wheels area were a pain in the butt. But eventually I got it to a point that I was happy with it. Used curved scissors, straight scissors and my dremel sand tool.

Next up.. my crawler body.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:39 AM
Super Moderator

Dude its your thread man......if you want to post up the pics then by all means please do.
Spektrumized