YourMicro.com - HPI Micro RS4, Losi Mini-T, XRay M18, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, M18, M18T, RC18T, Mini-LST, Mini-T, Micro RS4, XRay, 1/18, 18th scale
M18 Hop-Ups, M18 Parts, Mini-LST Hop-Ups, Mini-LST Parts, Kyosho, Atomic, 3Racing, Country Alloy Works, Castle Creations, Trinity, Intellect, United RC, Battery Packs, 2/3A
Old 10-22-2007, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alfred Send a message via MSN to alfred Send a message via Yahoo to alfred
Okay cool.....im glad that you did, so how does it look....please post up a pic as i would love to see what your ride looks like now. What are your plans for the other chassis.
Spektrumized
Old 10-22-2007, 09:10 PM

Send a message via MSN to Nerve
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfred View Post
Okay cool.....im glad that you did, so how does it look....please post up a pic as i would love to see what your ride looks like now. What are your plans for the other chassis.
Well its short a couple of screws and the aluminum threaded pieces. Take a look back @ the pic and you will see there is only one threaded aluminum tube. I might have to just buy a VCS rear shock kit (P3503) to get a second threaded tube. I'm also missing 1 battery tray holder (the longer one)

Right now im only using one of the upper decks (the one for the NON vertical servo mount) and the one lower deck with more holes then the others. Unless i feel like converting my gf's car over to a penguin also, then I'm not sure what I would be doing with the others as of yet. Because I almost have the complete chassis, minus odds and ends.

I noticed there is a slight chassis design difference of them. Between # of mounting holes and towards the rear of the lower deck. Maybe it was a prototype early model design? One has more of like a .... uhmmm wave design towards the rear? ..
Old 10-22-2007, 09:25 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alfred Send a message via MSN to alfred Send a message via Yahoo to alfred
Well you still got a good deal on the chassis.......look on ebay for the side posts, im sure that you will be able to find one there as well. Or check this place out...they have tons of hopups as well. http://www.stormerhobbies.com/cgi-bi...umb=on&smode=0
Spektrumized
Old 10-23-2007, 07:03 PM

Well I was just emailing Brion @ Penguin chassis for some information regarding the parts I bought. Turns out that the 2 chassis in the baggy are prototype models and the one out of the baggy could be a production one. It also appears that I have 2 early model upper decks, a full roll plate kit minus the spacer, one new and one old 3 cell battery mount and only 1 bullet style design. Then there is all the hardware that is missing as well.

Geez .. and here I thought I was saving myself some cash going this route. Almost looks like I should have just bought a new kit from Ebay or his site to start out with... ROFL. Oh well.

Brion did mention that there is a complete hardware kit available for $26+shipping that should have what I need.

I love these chassis tho, man they are interesting.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator

Your going to keep them right.......you better man.
Spektrumized
Old 10-23-2007, 09:31 PM

Well according to Brion, the two chassis that I have of the fewer hole design are 1 and 2 of maybe only 2 or 3 that exist apparently. He might even know the guy I bought them off. He figures he was one of the early test drivers of the chassis.

Wow almost sounds like I bought a piece of history ... LOL.

I might just end up buying the most recent chassis .. and keep these because of the rarity
Old 10-23-2007, 09:46 PM
Super Moderator

Im glad man....thought i was going to have to go in the corner and cry. lmao
Spektrumized
Old 10-29-2007, 02:27 PM

Tuesday (aka tomorrow), Brion ships out my order to me. He had mentioned there were some weak points on those prototype chassis that I have and that updating would correct it. So I ended up ordering a complete new LM chassis after all.

I did need another battery plate and some screws as well, so I figured .. why spend $30 on hardware to use with old plates when I can just update to the new updated plates for a few bucks more. Then I have some spare parts from what I bought and i'll keep the prototypes for .. well ... historical Penguin RC purposes. LOL!

Still have to get tires and pinions. I have a Proline Stratus 150mm body now!! Blue metallic rattle can paint and some indy grey to back it...

wish me luck in the painting !

Last edited by Nerve; 10-29-2007 at 02:31 PM.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:34 PM
Super Moderator

And please post up the new lid when the paint is dry man....would love to see the skills of a artsman.
Spektrumized
Old 10-30-2007, 12:36 PM

Quote:
And please post up the new lid when the paint is dry man....would love to see the skills of a artsman.
Picasso in progress here! ....

This friday im off @ 1pm and might give a go then. I figure i should paint it when its warmer during the days. After 6pm it starts to get cool.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator

I'll be right here waiting man......hope it goes well.
Spektrumized
Old 11-01-2007, 07:41 AM

Quote:
I'll be right here waiting man......hope it goes well.
I hope so also. I don't want to botch my $20 body
Old 11-12-2007, 09:13 AM

Just wondering if you had (or anyone else that checks this out) a suggestion on where to place the electronics?

Chassis: Penguin LM
RX: JR RS310
ESC: Futaba MC230cr
SERVO: Micro HS85mg

Im considering just placing the ESC under the upper deck with a slight offset to the left side to make room for the servo/esc connectors to plug in through the top of the deck and allow me to change channels if needed without removing the upper deck.

ESC I was planning to shorten the wiring and place it along the upper deck to the rear of the RX towards the antenna wire.

I thought with the ESC being on the lower deck there might be a chance of overheating because those black heatsinks on the MC230cr touch the upper deck plates.

Feel free to chime in anyone that checks this out.

EDIT: I will post those pictures of the new chassis when I get home tonight... LOL!

Last edited by Nerve; 11-12-2007 at 09:16 AM.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:40 PM
Super Moderator

You should'nt have a problem with the esc being at the bottom chassis, especially with micro motors.........micro motors really dont suck up a lot of amperage causing the esc to get hot..........in my setup i have the esc at the bottom and the rx on the upperdeck......

Spektrumized
Old 11-12-2007, 09:45 PM

photos

This photo below shows what I was planning on doing for the placement of electronics. The upper deck is removed for photos and I unsoldered the motor as well.

I want to run the ESC wiring right over the RX straight to the motor. Then the battery wiring from ESC will be shortened once i order in new batteries.

I also noticed that if I used the long bullet tray vs the saddle tray I cant put both ESC and RX on the bottom pan. They dont fit! .. lol. Its good I noticed that before locking all the electronics down and having to pull them up again.

I might just have to order in another 2 tray kits from Penguin so I can shoegoo the batteries down and replace the whole tray when I replace a battery.

Last edited by Nerve; 11-12-2007 at 09:52 PM.