YourMicro.com - HPI Micro RS4, Losi Mini-T, XRay M18, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, M18, M18T, RC18T, Mini-LST, Mini-T, Micro RS4, XRay, 1/18, 18th scale
M18 Hop-Ups, M18 Parts, Mini-LST Hop-Ups, Mini-LST Parts, Kyosho, Atomic, 3Racing, Country Alloy Works, Castle Creations, Trinity, Intellect, United RC, Battery Packs, 2/3A

Go Back   YourMicro.com Forums > General Discussion > Other Micro RC

Old 04-28-2008, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alfred Send a message via MSN to alfred Send a message via Yahoo to alfred
Hey buddy got the dvd......going to watch it a little later since the kids are watching kiddy movies......lol.....im going to post up a review tonight when there sleeping.
Spektrumized
Old 04-28-2008, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alfred Send a message via MSN to alfred Send a message via Yahoo to alfred
Im watching the Bonus features now, Bloopers, more crashing etc......i can tell you guys now that you guys went all out with this vid....i have seen tires popping off and for me i just put down a small drop of CA too keep the tires in place....lol....and oh did i mention the crashes......they were great. And for those members that want to see the track layout and there rides then you should get this vid, def worth the money.......Mr. H did a good job with the footage and i have never seen an M18 or MRS4 crash like they do......its a good thing. The vid has a lot of features and pics of there rides as well and my wife even enjoyed it. Just wanted to say keep up the good work and keep them coming.
Spektrumized
Old 04-28-2008, 09:51 PM

Send a message via MSN to Nerve
Quote:
Originally Posted by harnois View Post
In ROAR they have a 1/12th scale 4-cell class, when you know those cars could be made much faster. So surely we are not the first to recognize the value of keeping the cars down to a smoother speed.

Since the cars have less momentum and less speed difference between them, it is possible for them to nudge each other around a lot more without knock'n each other out of the race, thus staying in the battle. And the fun is in the battles.
Yeah I think the 1:12 pan cars are meant to run 4 cells tho arent they? SC sized I think is what our guys were running. I know those are so amazing to watch doing laps around the track. I sometimes get mesmerized watching them when im out marshalling and stop paying attention to cars that flip over or get stuck.. lol.

Very true about keeping the speeds down. I'm running a T.O big block, friend of mine is running mamba brushless, someone else is running stock, my girlfriend runs T.O Big block (but can't drive that well..yet). So there really is a wide range of cars. For the size of area we have, a stock micro class would be boring as heck. But I think if the rules were changed to have only one motor used or something, then yeah it would be closer.

Quote:
Yeah we hardly ever break anything. We do wear things out, mostly the suspension joints.
Spur gears for me. Suspension as far as I know is ok. Broke my share of knuckles however. Once I got GPM knuckles tho, I was good to go for the rest of the season. Worthwhile upgrade.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfred View Post
Im watching the Bonus features now, Bloopers, more crashing etc......i can tell you guys now that you guys went all out with this vid....i have seen tires popping off and for me i just put down a small drop of CA too keep the tires in place....lol....and oh did i mention the crashes......they were great. And for those members that want to see the track layout and there rides then you should get this vid, def worth the money.......Mr. H did a good job with the footage and i have never seen an M18 or MRS4 crash like they do......its a good thing. The vid has a lot of features and pics of there rides as well and my wife even enjoyed it. Just wanted to say keep up the good work and keep them coming.
Thanks Alfred! Glad you enjoyed it. We're not aiming to keep the tires in place, hehe, cos it is funny when they fly off in crashes. With our sprint race format the damaged car doesn't miss much racing anyway.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:15 AM
Super Moderator

Are you guys also selling the dvd in the shop as well.....
Spektrumized
Old 05-01-2008, 06:33 PM

Just wanted to let you guys know that I received my copy of the dvd that Adam had sent out to me.

I will take a look at it over the next few days and send some feedback on it as well. I showed my girlfriend the Harnoishobby webpage (she has never seen it before) and she immediately said " wow that looks extensive ". She thought it looked pretty cool and is interested to check out the dvd now.

Old 05-01-2008, 06:40 PM
Super Moderator

Hey buddy, you should check out the bloopers man.
Spektrumized
Old 05-06-2008, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerve View Post
Yeah I think the 1:12 pan cars are meant to run 4 cells tho arent they?
Yeah I looked up the ROAR rules. They have a 4-cell road course class and then an oval class for 1/12th scale. They are made for 4-cell but no doubt they could be made for more, no doubt they could have a more open 1/12th scale road course racing class, and yet they don't. People pack all kinds of volts and cells and motors in their micros but yet in 1/12th scale, a bigger car, they stick to 4-cell for road course racing. Which I just think is interesting. We got a new guy that just started racing with us who used to race 1/12th scale road courses in the New York area, so I've been asking him a bit about that. He really seems to like what we have going on here. Our "rules" keep it simple and inexpensive, so that it all comes down to the fun of driving. Our cheeks get sore from laughing so much while racing!

Quote:
For the size of area we have, a stock micro class would be boring as heck.
Unless you made the track so narrow and curvy and intricate that stock speed would be enough, and then you'd have such a long track and so many turns that it would take like a whole minute to get around it.

Quote:
But I think if the rules were changed to have only one motor used or something, then yeah it would be closer.
Our experience so far is to specify the motor, battery, and tires. It's simple and does the trick of keeping everyone at about the same performance and traction levels.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfred View Post
Are you guys also selling the dvd in the shop as well.....
You mean in hobby shops? I hope to someday, but it isn't there yet.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:14 AM
Super Moderator

Well it was entertaining......enjoyed it a lot.
Spektrumized
Old 05-07-2008, 03:13 PM

I still have to get around to watching it...

Maybe this weekend
Old 05-07-2008, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Yeah I looked up the ROAR rules. They have a 4-cell road course class and then an oval class for 1/12th scale. They are made for 4-cell but no doubt they could be made for more, no doubt they could have a more open 1/12th scale road course racing class, and yet they don't. People pack all kinds of volts and cells and motors in their micros but yet in 1/12th scale, a bigger car, they stick to 4-cell for road course racing. Which I just think is interesting. We got a new guy that just started racing with us who used to race 1/12th scale road courses in the New York area, so I've been asking him a bit about that. He really seems to like what we have going on here. Our "rules" keep it simple and inexpensive, so that it all comes down to the fun of driving. Our cheeks get sore from laughing so much while racing!
I think 4 cells compliment the 1:12th pan cars. Four cells move those cars over carpet with lots of ease. The larger batteries could also add a bit more weight to those things making the cars sit on the track better. Where as if you were running say an 8 cell 2/3a sized, the car might be a bit more loose on the track.

[quote=harnois;199869]Unless you made the track so narrow and curvy and intricate that stock speed would be enough, and then you'd have such a long track and so many turns that it would take like a whole minute to get around it. /[quote]

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...c&search_type=

Take a look at the "track" videos on there, that will give you an idea as the size of area that we run in.

Quote:
Our experience so far is to specify the motor, battery, and tires. It's simple and does the trick of keeping everyone at about the same performance and traction levels.
Then it comes down to driver skill (or lack of) that determines where you end up placing.. heh.

I know racing in my first ever season this past winter has helped a lot with control over the vehicle. My first times on the track my pulse was racing and I wasn't sure on what to do and if I was going to do any harm to other racers. Now im more comfortable, lots of guys know me well enough and I crash into their cars on occasion w/o worry.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:24 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Then it comes down to driver skill (or lack of) that determines where you end up placing.. heh.
In our case it also comes down to skill and luck in the traffic, since we have so many cars racing in such a small area. That's usually what we're laughing so much about is the crazy battles we get into.

There is also still some car setup adjustments that can be done.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:55 PM

Alrighty, first off I just wanted to say sorry for taking so long to view and review the Harnois Hobbies DVD. Adam had it sent out to me in a wicked fast time frame and I was holding off watching it until my gf and I finally had a few hours free in which to watch it. Plus I kept on forgetting it at my house on my desk (when I would go to her house).. oops. Anyhoo, tonight we finally sat down to watch it !

The editing job is phenomenal, very professional looking. The intro sequence really caught my attention and got me interested in watching what would be next. I must say watching it go through the whole event was very interesting. The first few races were interesting to see how the field was starting to stack up. Then, cars started to have issues and breakdowns happened and the field changed yet again. Those poles were really taking a toll on the cars. Once the final races were coming up, I thought I knew who the winner would be..... and I was wrong! Intense racing at its best.

My girlfriend was really getting involved with the dvd and was commenting about how real the racing looked. She loved all the different angles and it gave you a good view of the race. She also mentioned that she loved the scenes where the wheels came popping off...lol.

The bloopers reel was rather funny as well (the person getting smacked in the head with the antenna tube)... and the crazy crashes! Shows you how tough these little cars are. I really liked the photo gallery feature on the dvd as well. Having the cars showcased like that really added something to the dvd. The track build information was interesting to see how it all came together.

Overall, it was a very well done DVD. You can see the time and effort that went into putting it together.

Old 06-15-2008, 02:11 PM

Thats very good to hear! The on-board video was originally something for us just as entertainment but after seeing it with our newest layout Adam decided to make a DVD out of it. We really want to get more people into the same kind of close spec racing on a tight scale track because its so much fun.

It really is amazing how far the track has come over the years. The first videos when the track was fairly simple it looked so plain and boring. Now the track is vibrant and just looks awesome. The tracks appearance actually makes the racing more fun because its not some flat, walled in, black and white track. The on-board video is actually why we ("we" meaning 98% Adam) tried to make the track look so good.