YourMicro.com - HPI Micro RS4, Losi Mini-T, XRay M18, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, M18, M18T, RC18T, Mini-LST, Mini-T, Micro RS4, XRay, 1/18, 18th scale
M18 Hop-Ups, M18 Parts, Mini-LST Hop-Ups, Mini-LST Parts, Kyosho, Atomic, 3Racing, Country Alloy Works, Castle Creations, Trinity, Intellect, United RC, Battery Packs, 2/3A
Old 09-23-2003, 09:47 PM
Micro Master

Re: Questions about the M18

Quote:
Originally posted by mario

2.) The motor options will be used for mounting the 300 size motor. The standard holder is adjustable, so any stock and the micro modified motor will fit the stock kit, where the motor will be mounted on the right and 4 or 5 cell pack of batteries will be used at the left of the chassis. The 300 size motor holder will probably be mounted also on the right but having optional chassis with 6 cells on the left. There are no plans to have some motor mount to install several motors at one chassis, no at least in this moment.

Mario,

Thanks for clearing that up. I had read elsewhere that there were going to be mounts for left, top, and right... I guess that was just wishful thinking! Given the symmetry of the drive train, it seems it wouldn't be hard to design a left/right mounting option into the kit, or to make it as an aftermarket accessory. (I am having visions of a dual 300 micro, a Micro-MAXX, if you will!).

So, Mario, I assume you work for Team Xray, is that correct?

Thanks,

Paul
Old 09-23-2003, 11:21 PM
Micro Master

As far I believe the first step is to provide for the stock kit motor and battery placement that is most widely used, that is why the kit motor holder will suit stock and modified motor and 5 cells. There is going to be optional supersize 300 motor holder and 6 cells. If there is going to be something different, I believe this will be based only on the customers demand and requirement. You may not know, but Xray is one of the most professional RC companies in the customers support and service and what customers will ask for, Xray will just do it. This same happen with the touring cars, where the customers had the power to choice what next development should be made, what option part should be provided. There are only very few companies like Xray that has such tight relationship with customers and has been looking for their best. Therefore you can just be sure, that whatever Xray will come with, it will be just best.
Old 09-24-2003, 10:22 AM
Micro Master

I can't wait to order one and put one of my motors in it.

Big M,
Are the battery slots long enough for KAN cells to fit?

Also, the A-arms and diff housings look symetric, are they?
This would allow people to use a ball diff in front as well
and only have to buy 1 set of replacement parts.

Lastly, please tell me the componets aren't made of
polystyrene like a "toy" but rather a more
robust material.

Car looks great, can't wait to run one!
Old 09-24-2003, 11:00 AM
can I play?

I would like to use a 6 cell (saddle- 3 on each side), Brushless motor combination w/ motor mounted over the shaft. I would like to know if this will be available. I really don't want to have to buy the kit then the extra parts. Please inform me if this would be possible. I really am looking forward to a shaft driven car.

havy
Old 09-24-2003, 11:09 AM
Micro Master

Quote:
Originally posted by MicroChoady
I can't wait to order one and put one of my motors in it.

Big M,
Are the battery slots long enough for KAN cells to fit?

Also, the A-arms and diff housings look symetric, are they?
This would allow people to use a ball diff in front as well
and only have to buy 1 set of replacement parts.

Lastly, please tell me the componets aren't made of
polystyrene like a "toy" but rather a more
robust material.

Car looks great, can't wait to run one!
What is KAN cell?

Diffs are same front and rear, one drive shaft set at all corners, left and right suspension blocks front and rear, body posts same, diff housing same, bottom arms all the same, left and right upper arms same, minimum different hardware included, two sizes of bearings included.

The composite is a special mixed composite developed by Xray. As far I know it took several months for Xray to mix the very compound and final result is just outstanding composite mix. There is very special technique of mixing the materials to provide the very best material for different parts depending how and where they are used. If you have seen some other Xray cars, you will agree the composite Xray parts are one of the highest standards in the industry in the terms of smooth flow finish, great look and extra durability. The M18 is designed using the very same philosophy. Once you get M18, you will understand what I have been talking about. One look is worth more than 1000 words.
Old 09-24-2003, 11:11 AM
Micro Master

Quote:
Originally posted by havy
I would like to use a 6 cell (saddle- 3 on each side), Brushless motor combination w/ motor mounted over the shaft. I would like to know if this will be available. I really don't want to have to buy the kit then the extra parts. Please inform me if this would be possible. I really am looking forward to a shaft driven car.

havy
Sorry, this is not possible on the stock kit. For 6 cells you would have to get optional chassis and battery strap, as 6 cells layout requires a drastic change in the chassis design and layout.
All the parts will be available in very reasonable prices, so it will not be a big deal.
Old 09-24-2003, 12:06 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Roelof
Quote:

Sorry, this is not possible on the stock kit. For 6 cells you would have to get optional chassis and battery strap, as 6 cells layout requires a drastic change in the chassis design and layout.
All the parts will be available in very reasonable prices, so it will not be a big deal.

O wel... a piece carbon, of epoxy or circuit board and a dremel can do wonders for the right chassis
Old 09-24-2003, 01:25 PM
Micro Master

Quote:

What is KAN cell?

Basically same dimensions as 2/3 A's

Blind Batteries sells them as zapped cells.
I "borrowed" this from his website-

Dimensions: 15mm X 28mm (1mm taller than regular 1100mAH 2/3a cells)
Old 09-24-2003, 09:09 PM

Castor and ackerman....yes or no?

Not for me, but they are arguing about it another forum
Old 09-24-2003, 10:03 PM
My Precious...

I am really wanting this xray but I hope you guys set up a pro kit with the 6 cel setup as most everybody runs the 6 cel setup.
Having to buy the car then buy a new chassis right away and new motor mount etc is kind of a drag.
I know we do that now, but I have built the last couple micros from scratch to avoid this. Something to ponder, you will sell more kits that way I am sure.
Old 09-24-2003, 10:28 PM
Micro Master

Thumbs up 6-Cells

I'll have to put in my vote for a 6-cell capable kit as well! I run a 6-AA cell pack in my Micro-RS4 and, the thought of cutting back to 4-cells isn't very appealing to me!
Old 09-24-2003, 11:29 PM
Micro Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Akura2
Castor and ackerman....yes or no?

Not for me, but they are arguing about it another forum
M18 will have preset caster so it is easy to drive, agressive enough, but easy to control. I think you may add shims under the top pivot balls to increase the caster.
M18 has also adjustable shock positions for suspension handling setting, downstops settings, option toe-in settings, as well adjustable diffs, adjustable motor mount for easy motor assembly and plenty of other micro tricks.

What you mean by steering ackermen? Please explain and how it is used or set-up at other micro cars.
Old 09-24-2003, 11:59 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Roelof
Ackerman is created by using the HPI dual link setup or simulair with a servo saver and 2 seperate steering links.

Ackerman is a correction when steering the inner wheel it will get a bigger steering angle because it it has to turn a tighter corner than the outside wheel.
Old 09-25-2003, 12:05 AM
IPD racing

Send a message via ICQ to HO502cid Send a message via AIM to HO502cid
Quote:

M18 will have preset caster so it is easy to drive, agressive enough, but easy to control. I think you may add shims under the top pivot balls to increase the caster.
M18 has also adjustable shock positions for suspension handling setting, downstops settings, option toe-in settings, as well adjustable diffs, adjustable motor mount for easy motor assembly and plenty of other micro tricks.

What you mean by steering ackermen? Please explain and how it is used or set-up at other micro cars.
Here ya go...

http://www.rctek.com/handling/ackerm...principle.html

Xray M18 [IPD equipped.]
Tamiya TLT-1 [Penguinr/c equipped.]
Old 09-25-2003, 12:35 AM
Micro Master

Oh boy I'm gonna have to get me one of these!!!!!