YourMicro.com - HPI Micro RS4, Losi Mini-T, XRay M18, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, M18, M18T, RC18T, Mini-LST, Mini-T, Micro RS4, XRay, 1/18, 18th scale
M18 Hop-Ups, M18 Parts, Mini-LST Hop-Ups, Mini-LST Parts, Kyosho, Atomic, 3Racing, Country Alloy Works, Castle Creations, Trinity, Intellect, United RC, Battery Packs, 2/3A
Old 09-16-2007, 05:58 PM

rc18 differentials... drop in?

i don't get it, i am a good driver, i never crash into stuff, i might spin it out occassionally, but i don't hit stuff... aah i guess im just hard on the throttle, lol
i blew up my rear differential today. halfway through my seventh charge, i just noticed the front wheels spinning out, and noticed it was suddenly front wheel drive... i pulled the diff. apart, and man it was messed up. i didn't let any dirt get in, and i do grease them regularly, but the the threaded shaft had snapped, and one of the washers was broken... soo, can i replace it directly with an rc18 diff, or does it require modification? at this point im running an rc18 driveshaft, with pp end gears, will i have to change these as well? i have seen rebuild kits for the rc18 diffs online, can i use this, and the original pp differential? can you get entire differentials online?

also, does anyone know how many teeth are on a stock pp pinion gear?

thanks,
babetta
Old 09-16-2007, 06:11 PM

Ok, I may have a solution.

First, are you supposed to grease your differential regularly? What do you use to grease it?

And here's the solution ( I hope )

"III- DIFFERENTIALS
1- 18t ball diff will drop in bearings and outdrive sleeves will be reused (will be required for other mods)
2- 18t ball dif rebuild kit. Megetech does not offer a rebuild kit for their diff, however the 18t rebuild kit fits perfectly.
3- 18t diff input (pinion) gear fits the PP shaft exactly"

Taken from a nice list over at the Propulseforums.com .

Here's the link to all of the interchangeable parts.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:18 PM

it came greased, so i figured i should grease them regularly... im using silicone gear grease, from some rc i had, i think its from my xmod days, lol.

i have read the list, i know some members of this forum have done this, and i do want to make sure, im not sure everything on that list has been tested, lol...

thanks
Old 09-16-2007, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alfred Send a message via MSN to alfred Send a message via Yahoo to alfred
You grease up gear diffs....and as for the balldiffs the only part that should have some grease are the balls that go in the main gear.....when doing diff maitenence you want to make sure that the diff bearings are lubed up as well with bearing lube.
Spektrumized
Old 09-16-2007, 06:30 PM

OK thanks. I guess I'll use my xmods grease as well. I still play with them, they're fun for indoor use. And you can do some pretty cool things to the body.

How often (approximately) do you need to grease those items? Once every 10 runs (runs being running them until the battery dies/drops)?
Old 09-16-2007, 06:37 PM

are there instructions that come along with the diff rebuild kits? there is a set of larger balls, which fit into the holes in the main diff gear, but there are also a set of smaller balls, where do they go? i can't find a space to fit them in... are there any exploded diagrams of these diffs?

thanks,
babetta
Old 09-16-2007, 06:39 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alfred Send a message via MSN to alfred Send a message via Yahoo to alfred
you should maintain the diff at least once a month, to check for tightness or loseness of the diff....you want the front diff tighter then the rear diff. And remember that the only thing you grease are the balls, if not then the diff could slip on power which is something you dont want.
Spektrumized
Old 09-16-2007, 06:40 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetta80 View Post
are there instructions that come along with the diff rebuild kits? there is a set of larger balls, which fit into the holes in the main diff gear, but there are also a set of smaller balls, where do they go? i can't find a space to fit them in... are there any exploded diagrams of these diffs?

thanks,
babetta
the little balls that you are referring too are your thrust bearings for the balldiff. Take a look at the pdf file on there site....and zoom in on the balldiff.....

http://aedownloads.com/pdf/catalogs/drawing_18t.pdf
Spektrumized

Last edited by alfred; 09-16-2007 at 06:48 PM.
Old 09-16-2007, 07:11 PM

As Alfred pointed out, it is important to maintenance your diffs by lubing them. But if you over lube them or pack them with too much grease you essentially create a situation where the diff 'locks up'. Hence, the weakest parts then break, explode and/or disintegrates.

Also, the stock pinion in a Propulse is a 13T. The stock spur gear is 54T.

Edit: Just another aside note.. When you opt to go for more powerful setups, such as Venom motors and brushless setups, it is important to be sure you run a gearing setup that creates the least amount of impact on your running gear. As well as being mindful of having the running gear tuned properly. But even still, as I have experienced many many times, the best High-Power/High-Speed setup still gives out much faster than a stock setup.

Last edited by BloodyBastard; 09-16-2007 at 07:19 PM.