YourMicro.com - HPI Micro RS4, Losi Mini-T, XRay M18, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, M18, M18T, RC18T, Mini-LST, Mini-T, Micro RS4, XRay, 1/18, 18th scale
M18 Hop-Ups, M18 Parts, Mini-LST Hop-Ups, Mini-LST Parts, Kyosho, Atomic, 3Racing, Country Alloy Works, Castle Creations, Trinity, Intellect, United RC, Battery Packs, 2/3A

Go Back   YourMicro.com Forums > HPI Micro RS4 > Micro RS4 Electronics

Old 11-11-2005, 01:00 PM
Micro Novice

Send a message via AIM to devix
Brushed...or go brushless??

Well...I need a motor for my Xray m18 now. But i cant decide between getting a brushed motor/esc or a mamba or tekin set.

Since the Beast V2 and Krystal are about 37$, and then an ESC would cost at least 55ish... Should i just get a brushless at like $90/$130 for the Mamba/Tekin respectively.

Also...should I go li-po or nimh?
Old 11-11-2005, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alfred Send a message via MSN to alfred Send a message via Yahoo to alfred
Your asking a question only you can answer.....its really up too you......now if you plan on racing at the track then go Brushed all the way....but if you just plan too bash around then go brushless....no maintenence whatsoever with bl motors....
Spektrumized
Old 11-11-2005, 07:31 PM

devix,
whatever you decide, Im sure you'll enjoy either.

As for myself, Ive swapped over to BL (5400-8000kV) and lipos (still running brushed and niMh, as well as li-ions (for the 180s & corelss)

There's also the degree of BL you want to consider - 5400 or 8000kV, as the case for CC Mambas. You need to carefully consider stocking up on drivetrain parts. This could be your deciding factor. Alot of guys have commented about running their 8000kV BL and how awesome it is (and it is...), but they RARELY comment about the carnage (on the drivetrain) or maintenance required.
Something to consider.

1/18th scale homeRmade lids...
more...
more2...
Old 11-11-2005, 11:34 PM
Micro Novice

Would the 6800 be about just right for bashing? or should i go 5400? I'm thinking the 8000 would be too fast.

Also, Mamba vs Tekin?

Also...would li-po or nimh's be a better investment?

Last edited by devix; 11-12-2005 at 12:27 AM.
Old 11-12-2005, 12:54 AM

imo, a 6800kV is more than enough.

as for the choice of mamba vs. tekin, you would have to look at several deciding factors for yourself:
(1) price (a big $$ gap between the 2 brands),
(2) on-the-spot programmability (tekin wins hands down - user friendly - more for the racer vs. basher)
(3) support - CC has a proven track record vs. the new-kid-on-the-block

as for lipos vs. niMH, you have to decide on several factors:

(1) price vs. value (lipos initially cost more, but value-wise, a better bang for your buck),
(2) more attention required with lipos (care in handling & charging - follow instructions to the "T" - you cannot treat these lightly, otherwise "KA-BOOM"!!),
(3) racing or bashing (not many facilities permit lipos for racing due to its "liability" issues. lipos provide much longer runtimes.),
(4) weight difference between the two power supplies is substantial,
(5) chargers for both types are reasonably priced.
(6) other personal factors....

Iv'e switched over and imho, I would not go back to nimH. Im only using what I still carry in niMH.

more...
more2...
Old 11-12-2005, 01:23 AM
Micro Novice

Thanks a lot homer!

So If im just going to bash on parking lots and stuff or in my house, I should just go 5400..? or 6800? And since Tekin is more racer-ish, I should take the Mamba?

And i think i'll get a li-po...i really like longer runtimes

Lets say...ill be bashing in parkinglots/parks and large areas and racing my friends sometimes and occasionally going to a track if theres a race (rarely since i use 1/10 for that). I like really fast speed, but not so much that its impossible to drive indoors(like within basketball court sized area or something). Also, money is not really an issue as I've just sold all my old airsoft equiptment (old hobby :P) and I've got plenty of cash to spend . As long as the priceerformance ratio isnt bad.

Could you give me a basic set-up of what to get?
1. Motor-brand-6800 or 5400 (I'm thinking Mamba 6800 from what you suggested)
2. Li-po brand (I'm completely new to li-po...or should i go the NIMH route...?)
3. Parts in my car i might need to upgarde to aluminum or a harder material. (I'm thinking alloy gears, new differentials?)

Oh...and I have the hitec 85 ball bearing servo at the moment...will i need to upgrade to 85MG? or will ballbearing do for now.

Thanks!

Last edited by devix; 11-12-2005 at 01:25 AM.
Old 11-12-2005, 01:39 AM

(1) 6800 is a good choice. (get the phx-usb link for programming)
you can probably get a good pre-owned one in the classifieds here or on one18thfor around $70-80shipped). btw, b-p-p.com, has a good deal going on now for all there BLs and lipos...10% off & free shipping.

(2) lipo? size depends on the micro you have...there really isnt a lipo pak specifically designed for the MRS4. I have several different chassis so my paks vary for each.

(3) assuming its a MRS4....hpi ball diff, steel dog bones, alum knuckles...stock an extra spur gear or 2, gpm adjustable ball diff up front or a one way (this will put more stress on the rear end), hpi dual link kit w/servo saver,

your 85BB is fine.. use a servo saver...I also use one of these. others I use are 81, 81MG, 85MG, futaba s3101/02, or if moneys not an issue, JR DS368 (pricey -digital and bullet proof) - have not had to use a servo saver with this one...

more...
more2...
Old 11-12-2005, 01:55 AM
Micro Novice

fyi, i have M18...stock. I'm thinking ill pick up a penguin or motek chassis sooner or later as i realllly dont like stock

Ok, so I'll be getting a

1. Mamba 6800...from b-p-p. 90$
2. Li-po...i;ve heard about thunder power or kokam..? 1340..1100....720..2000....and how many cells? I think i'll need to check the fitting first though.
3. Looking at the MRS4 parts, I'm assuming I'll need some gears, ball diff in back, atomic multi diff in front, alum knuckles, alum CVD's...and HPI servo saver.

btw homer..do u have some instant messaging handle i can contact you by? it would be sooo nice if you did . You are just soooo helpful. I appreciate it. Thanks.

Edit: 6800..SOLD OUT ON BPP NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!...

Last edited by devix; 11-12-2005 at 02:09 AM.
Old 11-12-2005, 02:10 AM

m18...cool...I have 3 of those...

kokam or TP is fine. the higher the mAH, the longer the runtimes so go for more...min. of 1000mAH..
I use kokam 1500s, TP 1320s, Tanic 1550s (slightly wider..)
2 cells is a good fit....3 cells is very, very tight - requires modding the post holders

aim - homercdn (i dont use it much, but im on now..)

more...
more2...
Old 11-12-2005, 03:28 PM
Micro Novice

is the Mamba Brushless Controller USB Link required for programming the mamba.
Old 11-12-2005, 05:02 PM

you should get it for ease of programming (CC should have included it whe they first came out since..but I wont go into that...that was another issue..), otherwise its a pain to go thru the limited programming with the Tx and listneing to the beeps, etc...is gonna drive you nuts. trying to decipher what you did.

more...
more2...
Old 11-15-2005, 05:26 AM
Micrologist/Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by homer
.....otherwise its a pain to go thru the limited programming with the Tx and listneing to the beeps, etc...is gonna drive you nuts. trying to decipher what you did.
LOL, ain't that the truth Homer!
The MambaLink is a great investment, it also allows for firmware upgrades and fintetuning the ESC's features.
It comes highly recommended!
Old 11-29-2005, 10:49 PM
Micro Novice

I would get a smaller kv motor... I have the 6800 with 7.4 lipo 1700mah, and its just too damn fast (i.e. blip the throttle and the car is facing the other direction) ... CC has 3600, and 4200, if its not too late I would get one of those.

And cable is totally worth it... throttle and brake curve manipulation...

Can't wait till CC releases thier 1/10 scale brushless

I have the Novak GTB with the V 5.5 Motor, it's fast, but I bet the CC with be faster...
Old 12-07-2005, 10:46 PM

So you're talking around $130 bucks for the 6800 Mamba with PhoenixLink, and $150 for the Tekin. Is $20 really that much of a "big difference"? I'd rather spend that $20 than lug a laptop around for programming when I can easily program my ESC on the track in less than 10 seconds.

Any racer I have talked to prefers the ease of trackside programming. Plus, I like my car to look complete, and it doesn't look to hot to have an Airplane ESC taped in there.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:30 PM

my brushless was way too fast... mamba 8000k