YourMicro.com - HPI Micro RS4, Losi Mini-T, XRay M18, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, M18, M18T, RC18T, Mini-LST, Mini-T, Micro RS4, XRay, 1/18, 18th scale
M18 Hop-Ups, M18 Parts, Mini-LST Hop-Ups, Mini-LST Parts, Kyosho, Atomic, 3Racing, Country Alloy Works, Castle Creations, Trinity, Intellect, United RC, Battery Packs, 2/3A
Old 08-25-2006, 01:59 PM

GPM diff gears

Posted this a while back on one18th so might be old news but GPM released their diff gears for the mlst and the few that have them so far are punishing them and their holding up well so far! Our prayers might have finally been answered, once again thanks losi for sticking it to us all that rushed to buy one just cause it was a losi product and we wouldnt have doubted someone like losi...boy were we stupid.
Almost a year later it took GPM to save this truck cause I was just about to unload it on ebay and buy a AE rig or something else.

In yellow now also! lol
TamTech Frog:Mamba6800,3R shock tower,HPI steel belted slicks, 3R knuckles,Tamiya shocks,
1/10 Frog:CRP items
Blackfoot:HPI rims & Moab meats, Tamiya CVDS, Sport tuned motor,Rooster,CRP items
Hornet,Lunchbox:
Old 08-26-2006, 11:13 PM

ok lets continue the discussion of these gears over here....

ive got one of them put together (put fullforce rc ball bearings and stock outdrives on) , and the spider gears are very very grindy.... they wont even spin smoothly, im worried that if i run the truck like this im gonna melt the spider gears or something....

did the same thing happen to any of you guys? i was hoping that this new gear and the new bearings will sort out that veering to the left problem i was having....
Old 08-26-2006, 11:16 PM

That 'grindy' is just some very nice and tight spider gears...break em in gently with some figure eights and easy driving...just like new built 1/8th scale diffs. Good grease is essential. I'm so glad that GPM is finally making these diff gears!
Old 08-26-2006, 11:32 PM

Yea Nate was over last night and checked out my newly installed gears and we commented on the tightness of the gears. They have a bump sorta feeling as you turn them but like Nate said I think some very easy running at first so tehy can get seated and broke in. Might be the cause of some of the breakage reports. Also watch that pinion screw, you can easily overtighten the screw and split that pinion.
The plan is me and Nate will take our trucks out tomorrow afternoon and I will get a chance to see how these gears work out.
TamTech Frog:Mamba6800,3R shock tower,HPI steel belted slicks, 3R knuckles,Tamiya shocks,
Blackfoot:HPI rims & Moab meats, Tamiya CVDS, Sport tuned motor,Rooster,CRP items
Hornet,Lunchbox:
Old 08-26-2006, 11:40 PM

yeah but its so tight to the point where the sides of the diff gear which holds the screws wont go in properly, before the drivecups were installed they sat flush with the rest of the gear but now theyre sorta sticking out... as the gears are worn in wont they sort of get thinner and i have to open my truck up to tighten this part of the gear in...
Old 08-27-2006, 12:01 AM

Oh, are you using stock cases or GPM cases? Stock cases wont work without trimming the back of the pinion, its better to just use gpm cases imho, less flex and stripping of the screws.
Hornet,Lunchbox:
Old 08-27-2006, 12:12 AM

no not the case, the diff itself, like the ring gear.... you know where the outdrives actually attach to? those parts wont go in all the way into the ring gear, they stick out abit
Old 08-27-2006, 12:13 AM

Go here, I have info about the case posted there, I had it at one18th but we all know that deal.
http://www.rebelrc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=895

Ah posted same time, hmm not sure whats the deal with yours...take it apart and double check everything closely, no burs and whatnot. I'm super tired so I;m not thinking real clear, lol.
Hornet,Lunchbox:
Old 08-27-2006, 12:22 AM

Quote:
I'm super tired so I;m not thinking real clear, lol.
oh boy its almost 7am here, i gotta kick this habit of being nocturnal... like yeah i took it apart again and again, everything checks out, it seems to only be a problem when the drivecups are installed, i dunnoe maybe the position of the hole of the drivecups dont match up to what gpm was designing their gears to, theres only one way to find out if this things gonna break on me or not...

im also gonna buy a ball diff, that would spell the end to any accelerate steer problems caused by the diff...
Old 08-27-2006, 12:32 AM

What drivecups are you trying to use? I have a new set of stock Losi ones in the rear and I bought a set of the GPM alloy ones for the front and did'nt have any issues but could be a freak thing. Got another set to try? The diff itself once its screwed together is nice and tight ? Just tossing things out there...
Hornet,Lunchbox:
Old 08-27-2006, 01:17 AM

Yeah as Savage said, I'd take it apart and double check everything...his went together real nice.

Carmatic...7am??!??!! Dude you're worse than me...lol!
Old 08-28-2006, 09:59 AM

something else's up... when i put the pinion gear in, theres a massive slop, and im already using the gpm gearboxes.... so yeah i think im just unlucky or something

my idea of slop is that when the ring gear and pinion gear is installed and the gearbox is put together, you can pull and push at the center drivecup because theres space in front and behind of the pinion gear...

the square bit that holds the ball bearing and the drivecup and the outdrive gear sticks out abit, but its half of the screwholes seem to sit flush with the other half of the screwhole that is on the ring gear... im not sure if its how i damaged it when i tried to screw it in, or it came from the factory this way....

ok, shimmed the pinion gear (1X losi jrx-s 4mm shim) , and the ring gear feels decidedly.... oval.... you turn at the center drivecup, and it feels tight-loose-tight-loose-tight .... good thing ive got a 3racing ball diff coming my way, im definitely keeping the pinion gears from the 2 gpm gearsets i got just cuz everyone seems to like them so much, i'll just have to see how sweet a ball diff + gpm pinion will actually be...

Last edited by carmatic; 08-28-2006 at 10:28 AM.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:21 AM

Carmatic, A pic or two would help us to help you. Yesterday when Savage and I ran our trucks, he split a GPM pinion right away...we're not sure why...maybe the screw was too tight, maybe the plastic, maybe the fit of the pinion on the input drive drive cup.

We put a stock Losi pinion on the MIP center dogbone input in place of the split GPM pinion. At first it seemed that the pinion wasn't going on the MIP input piece all the way, so I shaved the little ridge off back of the pinion with a knife...this made it worse. LOL...

Because I trimmed the back of the pinion, we had to shim it with about 1.25mm behind the pinion which was a little tight on the pinion bearings...but otherwise it was very loose and I could pull the pinion input in and out quite a bit. 1.0mm would have been about right if I hadn't shaved the back of the pinion. Since we didn't have any other shim combo with us and nothing to lose, we tried it. It held up just fine for the rest of our bashing...don't remember how many batteries we put through this particular truck though. The rear GPM was not a problem though...and the GPM rear pinion held fine.

Maybe Savage030 will chime in as I don't recall the number of battery packs and we finished up late last night. BTW, another fun afternoon of running.
Old 08-28-2006, 02:12 PM

Heh yea a pic is worth a thousand words....
I got 2 lipo packs ran through the truck after the pinion split and no issues for those 2 packs, so I'm lost as to why it split. It will be interesting to see what MIP has in the works also and the rumors of metal gears being made by 3R or GPM...
Hornet,Lunchbox:
Old 08-28-2006, 07:04 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alfred Send a message via MSN to alfred Send a message via Yahoo to alfred
I wanted to get a MLST but did'nt because of the gear problems, now im thinking of getting one since theres better gears and now a balldiff out for it.
Spektrumized