YourMicro.com - HPI Micro RS4, Losi Mini-T, XRay M18, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, M18, M18T, RC18T, Mini-LST, Mini-T, Micro RS4, XRay, 1/18, 18th scale
M18 Hop-Ups, M18 Parts, Mini-LST Hop-Ups, Mini-LST Parts, Kyosho, Atomic, 3Racing, Country Alloy Works, Castle Creations, Trinity, Intellect, United RC, Battery Packs, 2/3A

Go Back   YourMicro.com Forums > MegaTech Propulse > Propulse Parts and Hop-Ups

Old 10-03-2008, 01:35 PM

Bought non-MegaTech aluminum shocks with lousy results - any salvaging them?

I emailed thetoyz.com about aluminum shocks that would work with the MegaPro and the pointed me to these:

http://thetoyz.com/cart/thetoyz_deta...cat_name=RC18R

I was able to install these shocks, but I could tell something wasn't quite right. After installing them the front of the car is lower then the back, and seems too low to the ground. Worse, everything seems to be so much stiffer. I tried driving it and it was a disaster. It was like driving on ice and the thing is ridiculously bouncy. I think part of the problem is that the front shocks are shorter then the stock ones. Is it possible to salvage this via some modification, or should I just bite the bullet and buy Megatech's aluminum shocks? I wanted these shocks because the entire shock is aluminum, not just the body. They also look great, but of course that's worthless if the car drives like crap.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:18 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alfred Send a message via MSN to alfred Send a message via Yahoo to alfred
The reason why the shocks are lower is because you bought the ones for the rally version of the 18t.......you might want to see if you can just get the shock pistons and just change them out. And just make sure that you get the ones for the 18T.
Spektrumized
Old 10-04-2008, 01:56 PM

Sorry - that was the wrong link. I don't believe I was sold the rally version, here is what I purchased:

http://thetoyz.com/cart/thetoyz_deta...cat_name=RC18T

The front shocks are shorter then the back shocks. Both are shorter then the originals, but the front ones are especially shorter then the originals.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alfred Send a message via MSN to alfred Send a message via Yahoo to alfred
The front is going to be lower then the rear since the rears are longer......if there too stiff you might want to change the oil weight or get some tunning springs.
Spektrumized
Old 10-06-2008, 02:51 PM

I think that's the problem. The original shocks for my MegaPro buggy are exactly the same, front and back, and it's pretty clear that that is how they are suppose to be. The only difference between front and rear is that they put an extra spacer ring on the back shocks (to push the spring down a bit.) The ones from thetoyz are of different lengths for front and back. If I just had four of the "rear" shocks and springs, it would work fine. I'm going to write back to thetoyz and see if I can get two more of the rear shocks and springs.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:41 AM

I contacted thetoyz.com and they are going to let me exchange the short front shocks/springs for another pair of the rear shocks/springs for free. I'm quite happy with that outcome. Good service! I also asked about taking the shocks apart and just replacing the shafts/springs, but they said that would be a real pain to do, thus the exchange.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator

Well im glad you were able to solve the problem.....shout out to them for letting you change them out.
Spektrumized
Old 11-16-2008, 11:57 PM

Were you mounting the front shocks in the right position?

I dunno when this was last posted in, my internet isn't loading everything atm. But anyways, the front shocks are supposed to be mounted in a different set of holes. There is the one closer to the pivot point of the main A-arms, and then the holes closest to the middle going diagonally in from where the ballstuds for the top were previously installed.

If you buy the megatech aluminum-bodied shocks (a sound investment... a teeny bit leaky but oh-so-smooth) the directions show this.

However, some people prefer longer shocks front and rear as the longer shocks have a greater distance to absorb/dampen shock from jumps and like, the function is in the shorter shocks, just not as effective.