YourMicro.com - HPI Micro RS4, Losi Mini-T, XRay M18, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, M18, M18T, RC18T, Mini-LST, Mini-T, Micro RS4, XRay, 1/18, 18th scale
M18 Hop-Ups, M18 Parts, Mini-LST Hop-Ups, Mini-LST Parts, Kyosho, Atomic, 3Racing, Country Alloy Works, Castle Creations, Trinity, Intellect, United RC, Battery Packs, 2/3A

Go Back   YourMicro.com Forums > HPI Micro RS4 > Micro RS4 Motors

Old 05-28-2008, 07:01 AM

Whoa....so many choices for one "generic" motor......

The RAD 400 motor will in all likelyhood, have a bigger can size. Most 400 motors are larger than their 300 counterparts.

Graupner does offer 6 and 7.2 volt versions of that 300 can motor. Though they also offer other sizes like 400 (I.E. like the RAD 400), 280, 300, 480, etc....They all offer different RPM's and most are different shaft sizes.

Confused yet? Lets try to simplify things. For our RC purposes, if we use a Graupner motor for surface RC's, the 300 6V can is the motor of choice. Some surface RC's will fit the bigger 400 can, but those are still in the micro/mini range of 14th or 16th scale. The "regular" 10th scale RC's have a ton more motor choices available to them. I state SURFACE becuase the flyers will typically use the other "odd" sized cans.

The Graupner motors offer a good balance of speed to money ratio . They are typicaly found localy for UNDER or at the $20 mark. Yes, that's here on our rock in the middle of the pacific They are typicaly not taken apart and re-built, as they are not designed for that. But at that price, you understand why the closed end motors are termed as "throw away".

This site lists Graupner spec's....

http://www.greatmodeldeals.com/motors.htm

Looks like the Graupner might be slightly shorter and narrower? Shaft size looked similar.

One thing to consider is mounting holes. While most micro RC's will accept most 280/300 sized motors, alot of them will need modifacation to cram a 400 motor in there. Not sure what type of mounting options you have in your gun? But most times even the screw size will differ.

I bring up that last issue since i'm wondering if that RK-370sd motor you have is of the "300" varity? Not sure, but after briefly reading through both sites, your motor might be bigger?

This place detailed the mabuchi code....

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...hmentid=162984

One of your best bets will be to hit a local hobby shop here. Most are friendly and knowledgable. Not sure where you are at? But some palce like hobitat in Kaimuki and sandy flemmings in Pearl City are both good options. The guys there (or guy in flemming's case...lol ) are knowledgable, or are usualy able to find out. I know that 10th ave. (hobitat), stocks or used to stock a number of the Graupner 300 and 400 motors. They offer parts for surface and air RC's. They are also other modelest source for parts and support. Most shops will be able to get the Graupner motors, as they are generaly easy to obtain. There are other motors in that same class and size they will be able to offer. They will also have other pinion sizes if you want to maximize your torque Your best bet will also be to take your motor down with you.

Good luck and aloha's......
Old 06-29-2008, 08:49 PM

Many, many Thanks!

Yes, I did understand the first senctence very well, Because I do know enough about motors to understand, but got confused later.. lol

Yes, for this Applecation, The Can (I thought it was a "Bell" for RC motors too,but its not) Diamiter has to be exactly the same as the mabuchi, I am fine. The lengh can be shorter slightly, but not any longer. For the shaft diamiter, It really doesnt matter. I will have to modd it later anyway.

My gun uses a Mount rather than screws to hold it in place. It has to be Loose, so it sits in brackets to hold it in place, But at the bottom of the mount theres an Adjustable screw to adjust the Motor hight (in airsoft, getting it up there right is Key*).

I ran to my local Radio shack remebering they had motors, but the guys said they only Carried "X-mod motors" and they didnt carry them anymore.. I dought they would be the right size, but whatever..

Keep in mind, Oahu isnt the only island in Hawaii.. I live on Maui, witch means its a hell of a lot hard to get a hold of parts for RC and worse for Airsoft..

Thanks a bunch for the links, Those are Really, really helpfull for me.. I have a hobby shop thats really exsencive, but I will check them out too.. I will bring my motor with me too.

Edit, the link for the Graupner motor isnt working?.. Fix?

Last edited by AirsoftHawaii; 06-29-2008 at 08:52 PM.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:49 AM

I've been reading around and I found a thread here

http://www.uk-microrc.co.uk/forum/in...showtopic=6571

from a guy who has swapped the RK-370SD-2870 for a RK-370-SD-3265. I'm having exactly the same issue as hawaii.

Does the second motor

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/?CallFun...n&ItemID=26804

look as though it is going to work?
Old 07-21-2008, 07:44 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alfred Send a message via MSN to alfred Send a message via Yahoo to alfred
It should work as long as the motor are the same diameter and of the same length........
Spektrumized
Old 07-22-2008, 08:04 AM

Found this thread, he ordered a 350 speed motor and got the rk-370sd-5028 (The TM g18C motor).

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184503

He ordered his motor from here

http://aircraft-world.com/shopexd.asp?id=1757

Looks to me like this should be the right one. I'll let you know when it gets here. Not bad for £3.32 delivered.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:55 PM

It also looks as though the 'Super 370' motor is the same as the RK-370SD-5028

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXKCD0

Which appears to be the same as the EK1-0006

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?im...icial%26sa%3DN
Old 07-22-2008, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alfred Send a message via MSN to alfred Send a message via Yahoo to alfred
that motor should work as well.....i would just try it before going to some with a hrpm.
Spektrumized
Old 07-25-2008, 12:31 PM

the tamtech motors are 7.2v
the useable speed 300 is 6v.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:55 PM
Saint728

The Tamtec motors (Tamiya Sport Tuned 370) are the same size motor as the Xray 370 motors and will fit fine. They are also made by Mabuchi and are better and faster then the Graupner motors. I would personally go with the Mamba brushless system. You don't have to worry about them wearing out and are a lot faster then all the brushed can motors. If you can't find one at your LHS just get one on line.

Take Care,
Cheers, Patrick