YourMicro.com - HPI Micro RS4, Losi Mini-T, XRay M18, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, M18, M18T, RC18T, Mini-LST, Mini-T, Micro RS4, XRay, 1/18, 18th scale
M18 Hop-Ups, M18 Parts, Mini-LST Hop-Ups, Mini-LST Parts, Kyosho, Atomic, 3Racing, Country Alloy Works, Castle Creations, Trinity, Intellect, United RC, Battery Packs, 2/3A

Go Back   YourMicro.com Forums > XRAY M18 > M18 Discussion

Old 02-21-2007, 09:10 PM

M18 Pro shakes at full turn

I am using a hitec hs-81mg servo and am experiencing massive shakes at hard left or right. I adjusted my steering epa to remove any hyper extension on the steering servo, but I have to turn my steering epa to 40-50% to eliminate the shaking. The shakes go away but then my steering radius is compromised. any thoughts or recommendations? Thanks!
Old 02-21-2007, 09:27 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alfred Send a message via MSN to alfred Send a message via Yahoo to alfred
It might not have to do with the front steering at all, it could be the rear wheels losing traction and just sliding on the turn. What rubber compounds are you using, rubber or foams.
Spektrumized

Last edited by alfred; 02-21-2007 at 09:43 PM.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:43 PM

It is definately coming from the front diff. I put the car on a stand and have isolated the shaking to the front wheels.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alfred Send a message via MSN to alfred Send a message via Yahoo to alfred
The shaking could be from a glitch or the servo gears are missing some teeth, i guess your best bet would be to try another servo. Are you sure that when you put the servo horn on that you made sure that the servo spline itself is centered to the radio's steering epa.
Spektrumized
Old 02-21-2007, 10:13 PM

Yes, I tried another hs-81mg from my micro rs4 with the same results. I don't think it has anything to do with the servo, but perhaps the diff. or the input gear/diff gear mesh. Could a loose ball diff cause shakes?
Old 02-21-2007, 10:21 PM
Super Moderator

You also might want to check your steering linkages to make sure there not binding which may cause the servo not to stay in position, check your balldiff if you need to, the front balldiff should be about medium, you should be able to turn the wheel and the other wheel should turn in the other direction freely with no stress.
Spektrumized
Old 02-22-2007, 12:18 AM

Shaking doesn't bring a picture to my mind. Do you mean your car is hopping under hard turns left or right with higher speeds?

Can you take some video?

What motor are you using? What toe in front and rear? How tight are your diffs?

It might also be your axles vibrating in and out. You can use these.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXPD13&P=7
(1 per axle [outside] so 2 sets)

Last edited by Mini_Me; 02-22-2007 at 12:22 AM.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:45 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Roelof
Pinch me ! Mini-me advising a product from the other brand

Other question: are you using capacitors on the motor ?
Old 02-22-2007, 10:29 AM

Its not like its something that xray offers, so its not direct competition. You realize I use Atomic springs?
Old 02-22-2007, 11:32 AM

I'll try to take a video when I get home tonight.

Mini-me, when driving the car on the track and I take hard turns (either direction) the car makes a grinding/clicking sound and feels choppy as if the wheels are hitting the body.

I then put the car on a stand and that is how i was able to isolate the problem to the front drivetrain. With the wheels straight and up to 75% steering, the car is stable and front drivetrain roll/spin smoothly under acceleration. It is when i go to full right or full left under acceleration, that wheels and driveshafts begin to wobble and a clicking/grinding sound comes from the fron diff as if gears are slipping. I also noticed when I turn full right and under acceleration, the left wheel will stop once in a while.

Those diff shims may fix the problem. I have some from my rc18t. Are they the same size?

I am using an AE 370 motor from my rc18t RTR.

I havent adjusted the toe in. I am using the non-adjustable linkages from the pro kit.

I have tried adjusting my diffs from super tight to super loose with the same results.

I may have not been clear on my initial post but the shakes are only under throttle. With no throttle input, the wheels do not shake and turn without any binding or restrictions.

Last edited by dr1ftk1n9; 02-22-2007 at 11:36 AM.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:18 PM

So with the body off on the stand its still making that sound?

When your left tire stops moving under right turning acceleration, is this on the track or just on that stand? Did you rebuild the diffs when you got the kit, or stick them in as is? Are the axles/wheels wobbling when your turning? How are you droop screws? Equal? Is your center steering tie rod for the steering not hitting the chassis when you turn (would mean you have too much droop/not enough screw showing).

Its a theory, but if none of the above are getting you anywere. Your axles might be being pushed in/out towards the gearbox with that angle on the driveshafts. So its causing them to bind. Get those shims I mentioned and see what happens (they are for the axle, not the gearbox, and HPI is the only manufacturer I have found that has them in the correct width)
Old 02-25-2007, 12:34 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini_Me View Post
So with the body off on the stand its still making that sound?

When your left tire stops moving under right turning acceleration, is this on the track or just on that stand? Did you rebuild the diffs when you got the kit, or stick them in as is? Are the axles/wheels wobbling when your turning? How are you droop screws? Equal? Is your center steering tie rod for the steering not hitting the chassis when you turn (would mean you have too much droop/not enough screw showing).

Its a theory, but if none of the above are getting you anywere. Your axles might be being pushed in/out towards the gearbox with that angle on the driveshafts. So its causing them to bind. Get those shims I mentioned and see what happens (they are for the axle, not the gearbox, and HPI is the only manufacturer I have found that has them in the correct width)
Thats what it sounds like to me also. Im going through my car right now and Im checking for any binds without the shocks on and not hooked up to the servo. I have everything out of the way and since theres no motor I can spin the drive train while articulating the suspension. Its really easy to feel for any binds, and I had some!
Old 06-01-2007, 02:09 PM
bl revo

i know this is a old thread lol

but, did u ever figure out what was wrong?

on my cyclone i get this to, only when i use a spool and u get chatter.... jw if anything got figured out
Old 10-06-2008, 04:03 PM
m18pro4me

similar

my m18 pro does somthing similar, or did...
what would happen is when the steering turns all the way one way, one of the tires lifts up iff the ground, turn the other way the other wheele lifts off the ground,(way more pronounced with the 12 degree caster uppers) so if you floor the throttle, and turn the car gets no traction, and since one of the sides of the diff is spinning freely it spinns at full tilt, with the opposing rear tire, , the grinding is the diff only turning one tire..
switching to an upper arm with less caster, helps too, i accually used the rear (since i had a spare set) with 0 camber and 0 caster, the tires dont lift, but steering sucks at high speeds, so i switched back and ordered some anti sway bars for the front and back and went to the standard 6 degree and solved my problem, hope its not too late..
Old 05-17-2009, 07:24 AM

old thread, i know.
When the wheels grind or shake and its comming from the diff.
I race a HB Cyclone, and when you lock the front diff the CVD's grind,
so I would think there would have been a problem with your diff.