YourMicro.com - HPI Micro RS4, Losi Mini-T, XRay M18, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, M18, M18T, RC18T, Mini-LST, Mini-T, Micro RS4, XRay, 1/18, 18th scale
M18 Hop-Ups, M18 Parts, Mini-LST Hop-Ups, Mini-LST Parts, Kyosho, Atomic, 3Racing, Country Alloy Works, Castle Creations, Trinity, Intellect, United RC, Battery Packs, 2/3A
Old 09-13-2008, 03:04 PM

Motor gear slides off

I discovered today that my MegaPro Buggy isn't having a problem keeping the motor gear pressed/meshed properly against the main gear, rather, the motor gear is actually sliding off of the motor's shaft. After a few minutes of running it will work its way so far out that it is no longer in contact with the main gear. Nothing is holding it in position on the shaft. Presumably something is suppose to hold the motor gear onto the shaft and is missing. What is suppose to hold it in place?
Old 09-13-2008, 07:31 PM

There is supposed to be a small hex screw that screws into the gear and holds it in place.
Old 09-13-2008, 09:00 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alfred Send a message via MSN to alfred Send a message via Yahoo to alfred
Your best bet would be to put a small flat spot on the motor shaft......you can do this with a dremel or use what works.....so this way when you put on the pinion make sure that the hex screw goes into the flat side. If you want me to post a pic then just let me know.
Spektrumized
Old 09-14-2008, 07:31 PM

Thanks everybody! You folks are lifesavers, and I'm glad I found this board. In fact that hex "screw" is there. It just doesn't look like anything is there due to being recessed and, actually, I hadn't even seen it before. I tightened it up and all is well in that regard now.

I'm still having another problem in that the car occasionally hesitates when I give it throttle, whether forward or reverse. Also, occasionally I'm finding that the steering stops responding, which is more worrisome, though so far that has only happened when moving after standstill, and then only occasionally. Also, it will just clear up and be fine again, perhaps after I manually pivot the wheels, but I'm not really sure if that has anything to do with it fixing itself. I'm starting to wonder if a wire is loose, but nothing looks loose.
Old 09-14-2008, 08:29 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alfred Send a message via MSN to alfred Send a message via Yahoo to alfred
Do you have another esc and rx that you can try.....you might be able to locate the problem this way.
Spektrumized
Old 09-15-2008, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfred View Post
Do you have another esc and rx that you can try.....you might be able to locate the problem this way.
Unfortunately no - this is my first RC car.

I'm wondering if this could be an overheating issue. I'm not sure exactly how the blue heatsink is suppose to be attached. It seems to just be pushed on and it is not sitting flat against the ESC - one side is lifted up a bit. I'm trying to recall (don't have the car where I am now), but I seem to recall it might even have been a bit offset. Can I just pull the heat sink off and then reposition it, or is it attached somehow via a wire or something?

If the ESC is bad, is it possible to replace it with a better one (short of going brushless)? For example, could I put one in that blocks immediately switching directions (which this one doesn't seem to do)?

Last edited by Crunc; 09-15-2008 at 07:21 AM.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:23 AM
Super Moderator

In this pic that i post you will see that the rx-- receiver-- is the one on top of the servo........and just too the back of it is my esc--speed controller-- which is blue. And another thing you might consider is that the stock electronics well usually suck since its stock. If you need an upgraded esc im going to post it in the micro market....

Spektrumized
Old 09-16-2008, 07:53 AM

I repositioned the heat sync to look like what I see in pictures of the ESC and it did seem to be working better, so I think it may have been an overheating issue.

Unrelated question: I've now been using my Megatech Megapulse charger (with adapter for the MegaPro) to charge my (1400 mAh MegaPro) battery and this time I noticed that after charging, and even a while later after only just sitting there, the battery was a bit hot. Is that anything to be concerned about? The car worked fine. I charged it with the selector set to 2 amps, which is what Megatech said to charge it at (though my confidence in their tech support is limited.)
Old 09-17-2008, 05:31 AM
Super Moderator

Yes heat can cause the lifespan of the pack to become short lived.......if you can you might want to charge at 1.5 amps, that is if theres a selector switch on the charger.
Spektrumized
Old 09-17-2008, 07:22 AM

There is, but unfortunately the only choices are 1, 2 and 4 amps on this thing. I presume I could charge at 1 amp? Is it correct to presume that it would take 2x as long to charge or would it be more than that? If 2x, that would put me at about an hour to charge the 1400 mAh pack (though I haven't actually timed how long it takes to charge at 2 amps), which is still great compared to 10+ hours.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:26 AM
Super Moderator

If you keep charging at 2amps you will get more punch out of the motor, charge at 1amp you will get longer runtimes and less punch.....but then it all depends on the quality of the pack that your using. If you plan on charging at 2amps then i would feel the pack once in while to check for excessive heat, then disconnect the pack when its hot and let it cool. Its best to have more then one pack.
Spektrumized
Old 09-17-2008, 02:02 PM

Well try a differnet area of running your car, your car could be receiver interference from somthing. Also if it does happen to be an esc your best bet would be a 1/10th ESC, I run a duratrax intellispeed. For my charger I just use the losi quick charger and cheapbatterypack for mine works great!
Old 09-17-2008, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator

I have an esc up for trade in the micro market.......take a look if and when you get the chance.......
Spektrumized