YourMicro.com - HPI Micro RS4, Losi Mini-T, XRay M18, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, M18, M18T, RC18T, Mini-LST, Mini-T, Micro RS4, XRay, 1/18, 18th scale
M18 Hop-Ups, M18 Parts, Mini-LST Hop-Ups, Mini-LST Parts, Kyosho, Atomic, 3Racing, Country Alloy Works, Castle Creations, Trinity, Intellect, United RC, Battery Packs, 2/3A

Go Back   YourMicro.com Forums > General Discussion > User Reviews

Old 01-25-2006, 07:17 AM
Micrologist/Moderator

Thumbs up Acme NB16 Nitro Buggy Review

OMF! It arrived.. not bad seeing as I only ordered it on Sunday night from Stella Models in Hong Kong.

First impressions

Cute as kittens.
The bodyshell is an absoloute swine to get off due to the fuel filler cap, mixture screw and pull start.
Overall it looks well made with adjustable turnbuckles all round and the oil shocks are threaded.
I went over it with a screwdriver to check for loose screws and needless to say some did require more than a little tension, so I decided to start replacing some of the screws with stainless hex screws - in the typical Nitro tradition...

Digging down

I found the rear shock towers to be very soft, offering lots of lateral (side-to-side) flex. However, the suspension action doesn't place any lateral stress on any of the shock towers at all.
The Servos are small and remind me very much of the standard Servo units that the RC18T is fitted with. Fortunately the RC18T Servos are cheap and gear sets are available for them, so should a servo on the NB16 need replacing, there is a source.
The diff outdrives are steel, diffs are geared and the single speed bulkhead sports a neat little vented disc brake. There's also a nice little polycarb/Lexan cover over the bulkhead gear assembly

The battery box is decent but the little critter runs on AAAs, not a problem as I do own some Mini-Zs and NiMh AAA batteries are a plenty.
The 27MHz RX is quite big, this is a bonus because I will replace it with something smaller in 40MHz FM and this will leave ample room for a small failsafe unit.
The transmitter? Crap sums it up.

The engine is a Toki 0.5 unit. The only thing I don't like is the plastic exhaust unit.
It came with a sticker on the cooling head that says: "Warning do not pull rope more than 30cm" Do they mean don't overdo it on the pullstarter cord?
I can imagine some ingrains holding a tape measure against the NB16 saying "don't pull to hard Rastus.. we's already broke 2 this morning"

The manual is excellent. It looks as if this could also be available as a kit. Page after page of detailed clear and precise exploded views. Exactly what any RC enthusiast needs!
The manual has a fairly decent brief on breaking in and tuning the engine. They do make mention of the mixture screws' factory settings but nowhere in the manual do they point out which screw is which, so a Nitro newbie would not know the difference between the idle, low end and high end setting screws. It is optimised to run with factory settings out of the box

No mention of what type of fuel to run it with, hey this is going 25% race formula, not negotiable. Also no mention of what range glowplug it has or uses. As BLiND said, an MC-9 should cover it.
A decent exploded view of the engine too, including part numbers
It seems as if Acme will have parts support for this, although we do know that some of the Half8 parts bolt right on.

It came with a decent Glowplug spanner too and a sheet listing all the hop up parts Acme have available for this. A set of spare Servo horns were also supplied.

Micro and Nitro!!!!!
Reasonably priced
Fairly well made
Asthetically pleasing as in looks good
Detailed manual
Solid well made chassis
Threaded oil shocks
Adjustable turnbuckle between servo arm and steering arm
Adjustable turnbuckles on front A-Arms, rear suspension arms and steering links
Anti Roll / Sway bars front and rear
Spares support (subject to confirmation by default should I need spares)
Comes with decent glowplug wrench (It's a "nitro thing" guys...)
Option for 2 speed gearbox!!!!!!
Cheap hop ups
Cross compatible with some Half8 spares & hoppups

Dislikes:

Radio (Eeeew....)
Fact that the screws needed a good tensioning
Slop on steering
Plastic exhaust
No explaination of carb screw functions in manual (for newbs..)
No recommended glowplug type (MC-9 should do)
No turnbuckle wrench
No chassis cutaway under the flywheel for starter box support

Finally

This thing just has to be fun! A Micro people will actually hear!
I can't wait to run it over the weekend, so I guess it's off to the LHS to get a receiver and a failsafe unit for it.

I have ordered some Half8 parts for it like alloy standard sized Hexes, touring car wheel adapter Hexes, alloy shock towers, alloy threaded oil shocks and a spare set of pre-mounted wheels/tires
I'll let you know how it goes..

Old 01-25-2006, 07:38 AM

Send a message via AIM to acsubie
nice write up mondo!!...mine should arrive tonite..already have all the alloy out of my kyosho waiting to be swapped into the NB.....only thing i need now that i saw is being offered is the alloy tuned pipe and maybe the 2 speed tranny

also found out that the same exact micro nitro is being offered by IRC under the name "Vulcan"...just $100 more, about $150 more for an all out alloy version

i myself wont be running until the weekend also since i need a glow plug warmer and would like to get xtra plugs to have handy
Old 01-25-2006, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alfred Send a message via MSN to alfred Send a message via Yahoo to alfred
Dang man that is nice....cant wait to see what you think there buddy when you run it.....i want to hear it all.... Do you own a Venom Speedmeter man....would love to see how fast that thing can go....Its nice to see a 2 speed tranny as well as an option.... I was taking a closer look at the pullstarter block....Hey Mr. Mod do you think it will be possible to put a drill starter block on there.....if not dont pull the pullstarter too hard man....your liable to take the whole thing off...lol...just joking.
Spektrumized

Last edited by alfred; 01-25-2006 at 10:20 AM.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:51 PM

Send a message via ICQ to BLiND
that close-up on the muffler just makes it look like it is screaming for a tube header and tuned pipe!

-Intellect 1400mAH packs starting at $16!
Old 01-26-2006, 09:17 AM
Micrologist/Moderator

Maiden run....

Maiden run...

I know it's winter, 1°C (33°F) outside, but who cares?
Temptation crossed with curiosity and impatience made me take it for a burn.
It would not start. LOL! "Too cold" I thought! Heated the engine up with a hair dryer and w00t! She runs! I ran it on Blue Thunder Sport Forumla 25% Nitro.
Took it for a little half throttle rip and it's impressive, but I noticed the fuel was going down at an alarming rate.
Upon further inspection I saw a leak in the fuel line! Stalled it, cut the offending pipe down a little, refueled and restarted the beast.
As I am supposed to be running it in, I took it easy, half throttle with the ocassional stab at full throttle. This little critter moves! Brakes are impressive too, it can do stoppies! Also, if you get the front wheels slightly airborne and it the throttle, it will wheelie!
The cold weather took its toll with me cracking the rear wing through a traction roll. Nothing too serious though, a quick online shopping session will cure that.
Another thing, the standard exhaust coupling leaks like a cold turkey crackhead pimp under interrogation, to the extent that it wouldn't cut out when I closed of the exhaust end.
I'll be looking into that a little later. Unfortunately my RX cells died on me - porbably due to the amount of time I had the electronics powered up to get the new RX and TX settings right.

Things to watch out for:

Standard fuel lines are crap - I'll replace mine shortly
Exhaust coupling leaks like mad - Nothing a little time and decent cable ties probably can't cure, but a tuned pipe is the better option
Turning circle not overly brilliant - Working on an HS81MG steering solution

Now I am off to clean the beast and... now it smells and looks like a Nitro..

Oh and this is a truly magnificent little toy
Old 01-26-2006, 01:03 PM

hey mondo..what break in procedure did you use buddy?

also, yea the fuel lines were one of the 1st things i swapped out, also added a fuel filter
Old 01-26-2006, 05:08 PM
Micrologist/Moderator

break in

acsubie,

None yet.
Did a tank at half throttle on standard needle settings. I'm using an oil rich fuel, Blue Thunder 25% Nitro Sport Formula. There was plenty of smoke so it was rich enough, but it didn't get too hot - it was cold out today.
I will break it in the way I break my big Nitros in - a few tanks half throttle, then increase the throttle as I get more tanks thru it. The last few tanks and I'll lean the mixture out a little. The LSN is set perfect in it's factory settings - passes the pinch test fine.

I also changed fuel lines and I found my exhaust leak was at the manifold, not at the coupling as I originally suspected.
There was so much oil on the chassis from the exhaust leak I had to do a tear down and remove the engine, radio box, steering servo and fuel tank to clean the residue off. I've sorted the manifold leak out and now the 'zorst seals great.
The steering/throttle servos are quite different to those on the RC18T. They're more like a Hitec HS55 type. A new servo mount would be needed to make an HS81/MG fit on it.
Hopefully it will warm up over the weekend so I can stretch its legs a little.

acsubie, let us know how it goes with yours
Old 01-28-2006, 03:12 PM
Micrologist/Moderator

Updates

New parts fitted - 3Racing stuff that's originally for the Mini Inferno

Alloy oil shocks
Blue alloy front and rear shock towers
Blue alloy wing mount
Alloy hexes
Even more stainless hex caps
Heavy duty fuel line

Mini Inferno hop ups fit without any fuss at all. The only other improvements it needs is an alloy steering plate assembly which I'll order next week sometime

With my TTR race buggy

I hope the weather improves so I can get a few tanks thru the critter.
Old 01-28-2006, 04:31 PM

looking good mondo..i actually got to play with mine today also..the weather was great..50+ in the middle of january..couldnt ask for anything better..anyway got about 4 tanks in thru it, all at 1/2 throttle to break her in, with an occasional "punch", lol

anyway the 1st tank i left the factory settings, but i noticed the pipe was spitting out lots of fuel so i figured it might be a tad rich so i began to lean in very small increments, performance increased and the motor temps hardly got hotter, to tell you the truth i was on the very safe side...i think i gotta begin to tinker with my LSN now though..it would occasionally cut off aftr i stopped it and it would sit idle.

anyway, seems like this r/c will be a blast..just clean up is a pain..

ps heres a pic of mine with a few alloy parts
Attached Images
File Type: jpg h8 nitro.jpg (316.0 KB, 97 views)
Old 01-28-2006, 05:13 PM
Micrologist/Moderator

NB16

acsubie

Thanks for the update, good to see you got yours out too! That is the bummer about Nitro, the residue from the fuel's oil!
These are awesome little cars, mine was also very rich, but I only put one tank thru it so far, so the leaning out/LSN setting is still to be done.

Acsubie how does the NB16 turn/steer in comparison to the Mini Inferno/Half8??
To be honest I think the turning circle is quite big compared to my my other small scales, in fact it only uses 61% of my TX's steering. I dialled the unused steering radius out with the EPA setting. I do want to beef the steering servo up, but I hope the alloy steering slider will remove some slop and give me more steering...

Jon from URC is investigating the possibility of a 6.0VDC RX pack, that should make all the difference regarding the electronics.
Old 01-28-2006, 06:55 PM

i never ran my kyosho with the stock servo so i cant comment on the turning radius in stock form, but with a beefy hs-225mg servo man the kyosho turns on a dime, the NB isnt that bad, could def be better, i might try just shoe gooing a hitec into the NB, but not to sure how the "goo" will hold with the servo vertical since there is not that much contact area

one thing i did notice is that the screws holding the stock knuckles were entirely too tight, creating some binding..you might wanna check them out mondo

man i hope tomorrow's weather is good also so i can actually "get on" the NB
Old 01-29-2006, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alfred Send a message via MSN to alfred Send a message via Yahoo to alfred
Mr. Mod and Acsubie.....nice rides man....i see you fellas are having fun....Nice hopups Mondo....im sure it will make it stronger...Now all you need to get is an inline fuelfilter......so how fast do you guys think this buggy can go....
Spektrumized
Old 01-29-2006, 12:59 PM
Micrologist/Moderator

NB16

I got a nother two tanks thru it this afternoon and managed to lean it out just a little as it was running a little rich.
The exhaust leak is sorted but there is a little seepage on the manifold join that is held together with two screws. I got some LocTite gasket sealer, so that should help sort it until I can get my mits on the alloy tuned pipe for it.

Like acsubie, I also gave the throttle a few good stabs to see what it is capable of. Not too shabby at all, but I know I have electric Micros that are quicker.
Things will certainly be different once the beast is run in and leaned out.

I am working on making an HS81MG servo fit to the chassis and I do believe there is room for improvement on the steering.
Other than that this is a magical little Nitro that mikes me smile every time that little 0.5 engine fires up and buzzes like a wasp!
Old 01-29-2006, 01:09 PM
Super Moderator

I see you had fun today Mondo....Why does it require so much maintenence so far....
Spektrumized
Old 01-29-2006, 02:27 PM

Send a message via ICQ to BLiND
Quote:
Originally posted by alfred
I see you had fun today Mondo....Why does it require so much maintenence so far....
ALL nitro's require a ton of maintenence

the vibrations from the engine loosen screws, the fact it is oil lubricated from the fuel means it gets everything all gooey, etc

-Intellect 1400mAH packs starting at $16!