YourMicro.com - HPI Micro RS4, Losi Mini-T, XRay M18, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, M18, M18T, RC18T, Mini-LST, Mini-T, Micro RS4, XRay, 1/18, 18th scale
M18 Hop-Ups, M18 Parts, Mini-LST Hop-Ups, Mini-LST Parts, Kyosho, Atomic, 3Racing, Country Alloy Works, Castle Creations, Trinity, Intellect, United RC, Battery Packs, 2/3A
Old 02-26-2004, 01:17 AM
Micro Master

Send a message via AIM to hawaiiian
Instructions of my JB Welded center diff

Hey guys, I decided to permanently lock the center differential tonight. As apposed to the friction peg idea and the shoe goo, I wanted the thing to be permanent so I didn't have to worry about it. Besides I figured a new center differential could only cost $5 - $10.

I headed down to the local hobby store to pick up some "JB Weld" that I knew nothing about, cost me $6. (This can also be purchased at any home improvement store like Lowes, Home Depot along with hardware stores, automotive stores and even Wal-Mart.) As it turns out, JB Weld can be used for ANYTHING that you would like to permanently adhere together. From plastic, to metal, from household items to farm equipment. Just like all other acrylics, adhesives, and epoxies you have to mix it. JBW takes a long time to dry, about 15 hours, so I did it tonight so tomorrow I could bash around.

I had previously had my center differential apart from earlier today, so I did not have to dissasimble (sp?) the truck so I could start right away. But if have your truck assembled I found the easiest way to take it apart was to unscrew all the screws on the side of the motor. Then unscrew the shocks and flip the truck over to unscrew the other 4 screws that hold the differential piece to the side plate.

Start by cleaning every piece in the center diff to remove the grease that was previously put on (unless you are just starting building your truck). The JBW will not adhere properly unless the surface is clean and sanded with a high coarse sandpaper. After cleaning all the balls, ball bearings, and other parts, I begin to sand them all. I forgot to pick up some sandpaper at the local hobby store and did not have any laying around the house. So I just picked up the old Dremel and threw on a sanding bit and sanded down all the pieces so the JBW would have a nice surface to grab on to.

I then grabbed something disposable to mix the JBW on/in and I decided to use an old magazine that I could throw away when I was done. Using a wooden paddle, I spread the JBW over all the parts on the diff. I put together the diff and rotated it to make sure the JBW was vigorously applied to the balls and the ball bearings. I opened the diff housing to double check and it looked like everything was well coated. So I put it back together and put the screw and nut on without the spring and screwed it as tightly together as I could.

It was that simple! I now have to wait impatiently until tomorrow for the JBW to dry so I can test it out. I have a 17 turn motor and from what others have been saying with their center diff locked and the same turn motor, have been pulling wheelies on command. My whole thing was I wanted to have the power being sent to the front and rear wheels so I can crawl over things but yet still have the ability to run the TLT on a high traction track i.e. the street.

I tried to take some pictures along the way, but to take them upclose mad them blury and they did not turn out the way I had planned, sorry!

Hope this can be an assistance for some of you!
________
Medical marijuana

Last edited by hawaiiian; 08-25-2011 at 08:02 PM.
Old 02-26-2004, 09:58 AM
Micro Novice

thx for the guide, once i get my TLT ill try this method to lock the middle differential
Old 02-26-2004, 08:56 PM
Micro Master

Send a message via AIM to hawaiiian
WOW! Thats about all I can say for the difference of the center diff locked. The truck will do wheelies if you lay on the trigger from the get go. However, all wheels still stay down if you accelerate instead of just laying on the trigger.

Rock crawling is so much easier now, and this is how I picture a 4wd should be. Both front and rear wheels move at the same time.

I have not run it outside yet, but from what I can tell so far, the acceleration is much faster than when I did not have it locked.

Im very happy with the results!
________
Live Sex

Last edited by hawaiiian; 08-25-2011 at 08:03 PM.