YourMicro.com - HPI Micro RS4, Losi Mini-T, XRay M18, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, M18, M18T, RC18T, Mini-LST, Mini-T, Micro RS4, XRay, 1/18, 18th scale
M18 Hop-Ups, M18 Parts, Mini-LST Hop-Ups, Mini-LST Parts, Kyosho, Atomic, 3Racing, Country Alloy Works, Castle Creations, Trinity, Intellect, United RC, Battery Packs, 2/3A
Old 11-29-2003, 08:01 PM
OI! BOY

mini-t servo thread

it is too difficult going through all of the posts to find out the skinny on aftermarket servos and such. especially to remamber them when i still have not gotten my car as of yet.

akura, was it easy to get the stock servo saver on the hs-55?

blind, how well does the hs-85mg work and could a 81mg also work just as well? i think i read you are not using a servo saver, is this correct? hitec makes them for those servos and i use theirs on my 540, just had to dremel some material away.

the reason for the questions is b/c i am ordering a spy for it and a servo soon from tower amongst other things so i need to figure it out......
Old 11-29-2003, 08:44 PM

Send a message via ICQ to BLiND
I chose to not use an 81MG because of the centering issues on my micro when the servo gets dirt/dust inside of it.

not using a servo saver because I didn't have any that would fit, I dont think a kimbrough servo saver would work because its too large, maybe one of the HPI servo savers? I'll try if it becomes an issue, but so far this servo is great!

-Intellect 1400mAH packs starting at $16!
Old 11-29-2003, 08:56 PM
kamikaze 540 pilot

I grabbed another 81mg today while at the LHS. I was talking mini-t's with a guy shopping for parts for it as well. I got washers for the rear, 6 nicd cells and made a pack.

We looked at the 85 and 81 together, and the 81 was smaller and not as deep. So we figured it'd be easier to shove in. Since I wanted one with proper ears on it for my micro which is just servo taped to the hpi mount right now, and use that one in the minit when I finally decide to change everything out. I just need to find a cheap used spy and xxl or something.

Troll
Old 11-29-2003, 09:01 PM
No Limits

Theres not anyway you can cut off the servo from their electronic and just add say a futaba servo connector? I don't have a mini t yet and none of the pictures really show much of the electronics so this is kinda a idea I pulled out. LOL
Old 11-29-2003, 09:09 PM

the stock servo does not have the potentiometer installed inside the servo, instead it is in the esc/rx unit and the signal for that is sent via 4 wires from the servo. The stock servo is only gears and a motor.

Old 11-29-2003, 09:14 PM
No Limits

O O.K. I got ya. This is kinda off topic but like what is the main chasis made of? I had this same problem when the micro came out and I had to wait about 1 month before I could get it for x-mas while I drooled over every one eles storys. LOL
Old 11-29-2003, 09:14 PM
Micro Master

a friend of mine put a mini JR servo in his with the hpi servo saver (from the dual link kit) and it was "OK". His is going to experiment with a 81mg next. The only problem we saw was the servo saver and the steering link bar (the one on top) has to be shaved down to fit properly.
Old 11-29-2003, 09:26 PM

the chassis is composite like a losi XXX-T's...

look at a 1/10th scale losi, this is exactly the same buy smaller

Old 11-29-2003, 09:28 PM
OI! BOY

i may go with the hs-55 at first. especially if the stock servo saver bolts right onto it. kind of waiting for akura's response on that one though...
Old 11-29-2003, 09:30 PM

there's a little mini tutorial on how to do it over at one18th in the mini-t forum "hs-55 as steering servo"

it involves replacing the final output gear on the HS-55 with the one from the stock servo.

the hs-55 is cool because its blue, but mine did not hold up at all I did that swap first also.

Old 11-30-2003, 01:02 AM
My Precious...

The stock servo saver in the mini t won't bolt right on. the gear coming out of the servo is a hex and not a splined gear like we are used to in normal servos. And I understand the stock servo with 4 wires is a fet servo, so if you can find one of the older esc's with the extra fet wire (like a novak t4 and others) you could just use the servo then. something else to think about. I have not tried but was discussing it with a bud here and he is trying it out. hope to hear back tonight how that works out.

I watched the owner of the lhs dremmel the hs55 down to fit the stock saver on. you just need to make some flat edges. a little risky unless you have a spare gear around for mistakes (nice having the hobby shop I guess).
Old 11-30-2003, 08:00 AM

I just took an xacto knife and trimmed down the spindle...fast...easy

make sure the servo is centered first...then use an xacto knife to trim the ridges on the spindle into a hex shape...not too much... and the stock screw and servo horn should push right on... hten you poke two extra holes n each ear on the servo to put the servo mounts on..and you're all set
Old 11-30-2003, 10:44 AM
OI! BOY

thanks, sounds pretty simple.
Old 12-05-2003, 12:30 PM
kamikaze 540 pilot

Would someone like to show a good high quality well lit, even maybe step by step process of their hs81 install? It would be greatly appreciated. I may decide to swap everything out soon if I can find an esc and rxr cheap. I already have the servo.

Troll
Old 12-08-2003, 12:22 AM
Micro Master

Send a message via AIM to juan23
Exclamation Stuff for sale!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by troll
I just need to find a cheap used spy and xxl or something.
I may decide to swap everything out soon if I can find an esc and rxr cheap.

I have a "N. I. B." NOVAK Spy and XXL for sale. I was about to put them on eBay........I'll give you a couple of days to see if we can work something out. E-mail me!!

As for my Mini T, well I just got a TO 1200mAh pack for it.......still trying to decide on the servo though, I don't want to use the 50 series Hitec. I plan on using my M8 and an MTronics M3 Cubic ESC. I'm also undecided on the motor....I read that a few people like the Rabid Chihuaha, but also heard that the Trinity Micro Monster is a good way to go. Anybody try the Baja yet??

I saw that a guy is selling a set of four Associated VCS Shocks with ends and balls as shock replacements, anybody have 2 more pennies for that idea, I guess I could measure it my self, but I thought Losi was to release a set soon.

Anyway........I have to find out the skinny on the M18.....according to Vince's automated e-mail service thingy, I should have mine Monday morning.....YEAH!!!!