YourMicro.com - HPI Micro RS4, Losi Mini-T, XRay M18, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, M18, M18T, RC18T, Mini-LST, Mini-T, Micro RS4, XRay, 1/18, 18th scale
M18 Hop-Ups, M18 Parts, Mini-LST Hop-Ups, Mini-LST Parts, Kyosho, Atomic, 3Racing, Country Alloy Works, Castle Creations, Trinity, Intellect, United RC, Battery Packs, 2/3A
Old 08-04-2006, 09:03 PM

Yeah my AAs always get picked on. 4 AAs and stock motors is just our racing rules, it is just the right speed for our really tight indoor track. I figure if/when we go outside onto a bigger track, I can fit 6 2/3a cells in the same space, 3 on each side.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:47 PM

Send a message via AIM to jman413
is it a rule that u MUST have aa's only?? cuz u can get 5 cell packs that are 6.0 volts which is what 4 alkaline batts equal, or if you run rechargeables then just get 4 2/3a's and make a pack. then it's only 4.8v.

p.s. rechargeables will make the car faster than with alkalines even though they are less volts
Old 08-05-2006, 03:53 AM
flawless victory

And even NiCd's are better for the einvironment than alkalines.
Old 08-05-2006, 06:49 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to adamc
Nice job! I love the colour on that shell too, what is it?
Old 08-05-2006, 11:15 AM

We are using rechargable batteries. I'm using Energizer 2500 mAH NiMH batteries. We use those with the HPI stock motors purposly to keep the speeds low and the racing extremly close. Anything faster wouldn't be that big of an advantage on our fairly slick surface either and it will make racing even more accident prone. On our track close side by side racing needs to be very accurate otherwise someone gets spun out or stuffed into a wall. Faster cars deffinatly aren't the way to go unless you just want frustration.

You can see pictures of the track here: http://www.one18th.com/GetGallery10034.htm

The surface is flat black wall paint applied on a concrete floor and there is no where near as much grip as there is on most surfaces. The sand colored run off areas are very smooth and slick as well so you deffinatly lose some time by going out there. Those are also old pictures... we now have some very rough rumble strips where people ran off the road often. Also that mild curve in the middle of the room now has a 4 inch rise in the middle of it and the outside of the corner slopes all the way down to flat which tries to push the cars right out of the corner if you have the wrong line. That rise also makes your braking points a little tricky depending on the direction your going in it can spin the rear end of your car right out and you can't save it.
Old 08-05-2006, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alfred Send a message via MSN to alfred Send a message via Yahoo to alfred
I take it your harnois buddy.......is it also agreed that all the other racers use the same gearing as well.
Spektrumized
Old 08-05-2006, 08:21 PM

Our agreement is 4 AA rechargeables (1.2v), stock motors, standard width and brand rubber tires. Any setup changes with differentials, suspension, alignments, gearing, weight distribution, are allowed. For gearing almost everyone ends up with 11T pinions for MRS4s and 19T on the M18s.

The spirit of our racing is for the drivers to be able to do whatever they need to do within reason to make the car handle in the preferred way, but not try to do all kinds weird stuff to gain a power or grip advantage on the other cars. Then from there it is all about the driving. At this speed there are 5 points on the track where I normally use the brakes, and there's lots of sliding and drifting, so it is plenty fast to be fun. There's 3 rises on our track where the cars get light or even airborn and 2 of them are in the middle of turns.

We could use 4 2/3a cells that is true. It would be a little lighter and give the cars a bit more acceleration which would be ok. But then we'd have to change batts a lot more often. As it is now we race for hours and change batts once, and one some days we have gone all day without changing batts.

I have tested with a speed 300 motor and a really low gear ratio and it was a blast! But, that was driving alone. With 5 or 6 cars on course it is challenging enough with the stock motors. Maybe one of these days we'll have a no rules race and just see how wild it gets.

We just got 7 more of these bodies so all of our racers can create an open-wheeled car.
Old 08-05-2006, 08:26 PM

adamc, the color used is pactra brand "metallic blue"
Old 08-05-2006, 08:46 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alfred Send a message via MSN to alfred Send a message via Yahoo to alfred
4 2/3a's will still give you long runtimes.....and that is a nice track indeed.
Spektrumized
Old 08-06-2006, 12:15 AM

There is one person who has ran a 6 cell pack made of 2/3a's (sub AAs) and they don't even last half of what our rechargable full size AAs last. I don't know what mAH his pack was though.

I have my chassis setup for open wheel and just fitted the body :-D.
Old 08-06-2006, 12:29 AM
Super Moderator

Well the highest ive seen so far is 1400's. So how long is your runtime by the way.......because with a 5cell i get about or around 8 minutes running a speed 300 motor.....and it also depends on gearing of course.
Spektrumized
Old 08-08-2006, 11:31 PM

Send a message via AIM to Zeppelin Send a message via Yahoo to Zeppelin
I've always wanted an open wheel car. HPI used to have a kit but it got discontinued, so this is a great alternative for me. Especially since my M18 kit has just arived. Nice job fitting it and every thing.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to Zeppelin Send a message via Yahoo to Zeppelin
oh, and one more thing. That's a really cool track, I'd love to see some pics of your M18 on it.
Old 08-09-2006, 03:32 PM

Zeppelin, we have an on board mini cam on one of the cars right now so we will have vid of that after they get edited. I'll also have my open wheeled car ready to go this Saturday so we should be taking pics of Harnois's and mine.
Old 08-09-2006, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator

so when are you guys going to post a vid....now that would be nice to watch.
Spektrumized