YourMicro.com - HPI Micro RS4, Losi Mini-T, XRay M18, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, M18, M18T, RC18T, Mini-LST, Mini-T, Micro RS4, XRay, 1/18, 18th scale
M18 Hop-Ups, M18 Parts, Mini-LST Hop-Ups, Mini-LST Parts, Kyosho, Atomic, 3Racing, Country Alloy Works, Castle Creations, Trinity, Intellect, United RC, Battery Packs, 2/3A
Old 04-21-2004, 09:39 AM
Micro Novice

Question Upgrade Path

Hi guys, I have a question.. I've been following the forums around the new Mini Trucks (TLT, MG, Mini-T, MZM) with great interest and have decided to expand my RC hobbyin' to include one of these units. My perspective, based on the multiple forums I've been visiting, is that the TLT is the premium unit (oil filled shocks, etc). However, they cost big dough for a first truck.. it's a big initial outlay for a hobby I haven't really delved into.

As a result, I'm kicking around the idea of the Venom MG (they're only $159.99 RTR at the local shop).

My question is , can I use the MG Radio, ESC and Servo in the TLT if I want to upgrade to that truck down the road. Or, conversely, can I buy a new Radio, ESC and Servo and install it in the MG?

Edit: Forgot to ask about other parts being swapable such as the shocks for oil-filled.. lower gearing for rock crawling.

Thanks guys.. hope to hear from you soon!

Last edited by Schwantz; 04-21-2004 at 01:53 PM.
Old 04-21-2004, 05:53 PM
Micro Novice

Well I'm not sure if the TLT will accept the MG's electronics but the MG uses standard sized electronics so you can swap out the servo, esc, and radio to a brand you like(The MG comes with 2 other servo horns to fit a Futaba and another one I forgot). I went for the MG because I found that the TLT would be just too much for me. It would end up expensive with the things I would hopup it with. Plus, I really don't do well with kits. The MG is cheaper and it's great right out of the box. I'm sure once more people catch on to this little truck, simple modifications will come out and make this a great truck.

The MG comes with a lockout gear... which I'm guessing locks up the diffs so you can crawl over rough terrain easily. I read a review that motor heatsinks, oil shocks, and other hopups will soon be available later on. Also if the body bothers you as it does with other MG owners, you can always swap the body with a better one
Old 04-21-2004, 06:26 PM
Micro Novice

That's good info man.. I've posted this question in four different forums, but this is the most informed answer out of the lot.. very much appreciated.

And on the TLT vs. MG.. I agree, the TLT is a sweet lookin' unit.. but wow, quite a bit of cash too. And from what I'm readin' in the forums from guys that have MG's, they're very happy with what they have for the $$. And, nothing against it, but I'm not as interested in the Mini-T 'cause it's a 2wd buggy.. not really a truck.. I also wanted 4x4 for crawling.

Anyway.. good info, thx again man.
Old 04-21-2004, 08:44 PM
Micro Novice

Send a message via Yahoo to slugbugg
I wouldn't put the MG electronics in the TLT just because they may not be able to handle the 540 size motors that go in a TLT but I really like the receiver/esc combo in the MG.I think it might be better than what is in the losi mini-T.

You could install a different radio/esc/servo in the MG, it looks to have more than enough room for standard/mini radio gear in it.

I like both trucks but even after just one day with the MG I feel the TLT is just a lot tougher truck and will be able to take more punishment than the MG.
The one big item I dislike with the MG is the steering servo is mounted to the chassis and when the suspension is compressed on one side it will throw the steering to one side but I think I can find a way to mount a smaller servo on the front axle and eliminate that.