YourMicro.com - HPI Micro RS4, Losi Mini-T, XRay M18, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, M18, M18T, RC18T, Mini-LST, Mini-T, Micro RS4, XRay, 1/18, 18th scale
M18 Hop-Ups, M18 Parts, Mini-LST Hop-Ups, Mini-LST Parts, Kyosho, Atomic, 3Racing, Country Alloy Works, Castle Creations, Trinity, Intellect, United RC, Battery Packs, 2/3A

Go Back   YourMicro.com Forums > HPI Micro RS4 > Micro RS4 Tips

Old 11-23-2007, 02:16 PM

Send a message via ICQ to RiceRacerX
Drifiting in my micro rs4 ( drift version )

Hi all I've purchased the drift version of my micro rs4 on ebay and I got a very wierd & stupid question.

Please don't flame when I ask it ok?

How do I start drifiting with my micro rs4? I know I will need to slam on the brake "pulling the throttle trigger backwords on my radio & to steer the opposite way of the corner."

But every time I try to I spin out and I get maybe just a fraction of a drift.

Last edited by RiceRacerX; 11-23-2007 at 04:16 PM.
Old 11-23-2007, 04:06 PM

You need to gun it more, more wheel speed= more drifting. If your not running pvc tires it will be alot more difficult. Save yourself the learning curve and get some plastic wheels or tape them up to try it out. Drifting is ALOT easier done with a slick compound tire.

ps: GUN IT MORE! You can steer when gunning it, trust me.

Here is a short video of a 1/12 scale rs4 I had a few months ago, it was fun for inside but I like my micro better.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=CKk1oIPInYQ

If you listen you'll just hear nothing but gas, I very rarely use brakes.
Old 11-23-2007, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mods View Post
You need to gun it more, more wheel speed= more drifting. If your not running pvc tires it will be alot more difficult. Save yourself the learning curve and get some plastic wheels or tape them up to try it out. Drifting is ALOT easier done with a slick compound tire.

ps: GUN IT MORE! You can steer when gunning it, trust me.

Here is a short video of a 1/12 scale rs4 I had a few months ago, it was fun for inside but I like my micro better.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=CKk1oIPInYQ

If you listen you'll just hear nothing but gas, I very rarely use brakes.
I was going to ask if I can tape up the wheels with eletrical tape?

And gun it more you say? I thought the drifiting was braking and steering with only the brakes? ( That's how I've been doing it in GT4 with my Mazda R-S 7.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:13 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alfred Send a message via MSN to alfred Send a message via Yahoo to alfred
You need to break traction by giving it more throttle.....yes you can use electrical tape but it just wears out, i find that using pvc just makes the fun last longer depending on battery mah of course. You can also use heatshrink as well.
Spektrumized
Old 11-23-2007, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfred View Post
You need to break traction by giving it more throttle.....yes you can use electrical tape but it just wears out, i find that using pvc just makes the fun last longer depending on battery mah of course. You can also use heatshrink as well.
So you don't use your e brake?
Old 11-23-2007, 10:43 PM

The only time I use brakes at all is at the end of a long straight but thats about it, I would also use it if I needed to cut my corner a bit tighter I guess as well. Its not that often though. Honstly though, the guys I drift with we all seem to have our own style. I like to feather the throttle alot and some of my buddies stay on the gas, just at lower rpms.
Here you can hear no brakes as the wheels would stop spinning for sure running abs.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=eMquSpPl9pc

I like my style, but really like alot of others. I never thought RC would be so technical but is, so cool.
Old 11-24-2007, 12:07 AM

Quote:
The only time I use brakes at all is at the end of a long straight but thats about it, I would also use it if I needed to cut my corner a bit tighter I guess as well. Its not that often though. Honstly though, the guys I drift with we all seem to have our own style. I like to feather the throttle alot and some of my buddies stay on the gas, just at lower rpms.
Here you can hear no brakes as the wheels would stop spinning for sure running abs.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=eMquSpPl9pc

I like my style, but really like alot of others. I never thought RC would be so technical but is, so cool.
Ok I'm lost I thought drifting was using your brakes? specially your e brake's? So what should I do I like to learn to drift around hair pin turns, That's my main goal

Actually my goals are very simple.

1.Learn to drift the proper way with my micro rs4.
2.Learn to drift Hair pin turns.
3.Apply it to my 1/10th scale rs4.
Old 11-24-2007, 12:26 AM

In that case its simple, practice.
Old 11-24-2007, 12:31 AM

Quote:
In that case its simple, practice.
Hey mate I know I read all your replies and Alfreds replies but I want to know if you could make a how to drift video? I will have 8 day's before I can even start drifting.
Old 11-24-2007, 11:29 AM

I've posted 2 vids, and explained as best I can. You honestly just need to try it, and practice. Cheers!
Old 11-24-2007, 02:06 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Roelof
Drifting is all about playing with the throttle, to less throttle will not give the car a slide movement and to much throttle will give a spin out.

http://www.debaanbrekers.com/ftp/driften.avi
http://www.debaanbrekers.com/ftp/driften1.avi
Old 11-24-2007, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alfred Send a message via MSN to alfred Send a message via Yahoo to alfred
pretty good drifting there 4mods........
Spektrumized
Old 11-25-2007, 07:54 PM
MicroMach1

ok guys, it's not rocket science. when you accelerate fast your tires loose grip, causing you to slide, learn to control that slide by counter steering (steering the opposite direction of the drift) it's really not too hard to learn the basics. Just try, like someone said up there, everyone has there own style, so there is no certain way. but in general, give it gas and turn and with the right setup, you'll break loose.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:27 AM

ok guys look i dont have a rs4 i have a 1/10 drifter though
it is the same concept of real drifting you can break traction two ways mashing the gas or mashing the brakes but in rcdrifting it is way more easier to just mash the gas and learn how to control it that way.
brake drifting is alot hard it makes alot of people just spin unless you are going very low speeds which you will just stop most the times
as for the hairpin turn it all depends on how sharp you are wanting to sharp you are most chances going to just spin trying to get the angle
me i have been drifting for about 4 months i have done mastered sprint 2 (very easy) and a TT-01 (kind of hard)
easiest thing to do to help you
-get abs pipe (pvc works fine) abs just makes the cars look more realistic because it is black
-lsd in the rear (solid axles work)
-it also helps you lsd you front too (but not required)
you can get a lsd by just putting thicker diff grease in the spider gears
you can lock it with a coating of ca glue on the spider gears
Old 12-02-2007, 12:04 PM

If you lock any diffs, just do the rear as that will help swing your backend out easier. I tried a ton of different things with my diffs over the years and I actually run fairly open diffs that move freely now. You have alot more control of your vehicle that way I have found. Eveyone is different though and it pays just to try a few different things that may, or may not work out for you.
Here is another drifting vid, I'm rolling the K5. My other cars/bodies in the vid are the green/black 350, white escalade with pink benzo. We have a solid drift crew here in the lowermainland and are getting bigger by the meet!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OT3HrPSpVXw