YourMicro.com - HPI Micro RS4, Losi Mini-T, XRay M18, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, M18, M18T, RC18T, Mini-LST, Mini-T, Micro RS4, XRay, 1/18, 18th scale
M18 Hop-Ups, M18 Parts, Mini-LST Hop-Ups, Mini-LST Parts, Kyosho, Atomic, 3Racing, Country Alloy Works, Castle Creations, Trinity, Intellect, United RC, Battery Packs, 2/3A
Old 09-22-2007, 10:54 PM

Those Bloody Little Stones..

..They are the thorn in the Spurgear of the 'Dirt Lot Basher'.

When not racing on the nice, clean, pebble-free, clay based surface of an official raceway, keeping foreign objects from lodging themselves between the pinion and spur gear has proven to be a bit challenging. My initial versions of the 'Homemade Pebble Sheild'..
http://yourmicro.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19821
..worked fine on 'Black' (modified blue truck body).

'Red' (modified red propulse body), seems to be more of a 'pebble collector' and managed to defeat the sheild. Well, I wasn't about to put up with any of that nonsense..

This is my Half-Eight..(currently parked till I rebuild the central diff and make a chassis brace to stop it from twisting)

Some of you may remember it from an earlier thread of mine. It's a Kyosho Mini-Inferno/ST. When you pop the lid off you are left with what I call the 'base shroud'..

Pop that shroud off and you are left with the bare chassis and the Central Diff/Slipper Clutch sheild..

Pop that off and you reveal the Evil Central Diff/Slipper Clutch..

My idea for the pebble sheild derived from that inner sheild . But I have revisited this approach and thought about Kyosho's Shroud. They seem to not be concerned with heat since the batteries and the motor are enclosed in it. So I figured I would make something similar for 'Red'.

Here's Red..

Here is Red with the lid off revealing the new 'full shroud'.

Popping off the shroud you can see how I pieced together four corners of packaging. I assembled it on the chassis, cutting and trimming each piece and then taping them together to form the shroud on the vehicle.

It is a snug fit. The bottom edge tucks inside the chassis pan. It's a bit of a tussle to install but once it is on, it is on tight and requires no screws to hold it in place.

Red is no longer a pebble collector, thanks to my Half-Eight and Kyosho..

..cheers

Last edited by BloodyBastard; 09-22-2007 at 10:57 PM.
Old 09-22-2007, 11:32 PM

Also wanted to mention that 'Red' has been upgraded with the Titanium Turnbuckles and the High Speed Servo (which as I mentioned in another thread is Not just a stock servo encased in blue).

cheers
Old 09-22-2007, 11:34 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alfred Send a message via MSN to alfred Send a message via Yahoo to alfred
were you able to do a test run with the shroud on......neat idea indeed. This will make the enjoyment longer and now you dont have to worry about those pesky little pebbles anymore.
Spektrumized
Old 09-22-2007, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfred View Post
were you able to do a test run with the shroud on......neat idea indeed. This will make the enjoyment longer and now you dont have to worry about those pesky little pebbles anymore.
Thanks Alfred. Yes, my side yard is a dirt path loaded with stones of all sizes. I ran a full pack through it spinning about kicking up as much as I could. The shroud worked a treat. Motor/electro/batts got no hotter than normal operating temps.

Tomorrow I will have it out on the lot giving it the full-on bash.
Old 09-22-2007, 11:42 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alfred Send a message via MSN to alfred Send a message via Yahoo to alfred
Cool, how will it be changing batt packs.....i think you said that it was a tussle getting it on........
Spektrumized
Old 09-22-2007, 11:49 PM

cool. i tried a few variations of your first gravel shield, and didn't have much luck... this one sounds like it might work better, i might give it a try... is changing the battery a pain the ass with it on?
ive noticed those fancy lexan rc18 gravel shields on ebay... any chance one of those could be made to work with the propulse?
Old 09-22-2007, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfred View Post
Cool, how will it be changing batt packs.....i think you said that it was a tussle getting it on........
Just a little patience and care with it and it truly is just a snap to get it off and on. I purposely made it so that it tucked under wires and some of the electro so that it wouldn't dislodge in flight. Nonetheless, it is just something else to keep oneself busy while giving the motor adequate cool-down time between runs.
Old 09-22-2007, 11:53 PM
Super Moderator

Thats cool, let us know how it goes tomorrow....im sure the rest of the PP owners will be interested in doing this mod to there rides.
Spektrumized
Old 09-22-2007, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetta80 View Post
... is changing the battery a pain the ass with it on?
ive noticed those fancy lexan rc18 gravel shields on ebay... any chance one of those could be made to work with the propulse?
As I mentioned above, it really isn't a pain. Also why I purposely made it 'non screw-on' so it removes easier.

I have not seen those sheilds, didn't know they existed. I will have to take a look on eBay to check them out.
Old 09-23-2007, 12:06 AM
Super Moderator

Here take a look......im sure it might need a little modding to fit on the PP......could be just worth it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Spur-Pinion-...QQcmdZViewItem
Spektrumized
Old 09-23-2007, 12:23 AM

The main piece might be able to work, not sure about the motor mount piece though as they are different on the Propulse. Also would not work for the Twin Motor setup.
Might be worth a try though for someone willing to spend the $18 (cost + shipping).

One other note, the propulse chassis pan is shaped a bit differently than the RC18. Don't know if that would be an issue with a form fitted piece like that. It is polycarbonate and not lexan. Not as easy as lexan to modify.

Last edited by BloodyBastard; 09-23-2007 at 12:28 AM.
Old 09-23-2007, 12:42 AM

Send a message via AIM to Erock 808
SWEEEEEEET!!! My man BB does it again! Man, I just love it when you come out with your custom creations! That shield looks killer! I've entertained the thought of making some sort of shield for my ride after you posted up your first rock shield thread, but I just never got around to do so!? I've been working on my "Project:T100(R)" and since it's a "road racer" I figured that I don't really need to make a rock shield. But for my Dual-Motor "Monster" T100, I definitely should be making one. I can't wait to hear the results of tomorrow's all out bashing! Keep up the good work man, and keep those creative ideas flowing!

Aloha!
Old 09-23-2007, 12:50 AM

Thanks Erock.. saw your 'Code Blue' it's looking pretty sweet too. Keep in mind that if your not on a clean road course and just in the 'road', you could kick up some loose gravel/asphalt. Might be wise to consider a shield for it.
Old 09-23-2007, 01:01 AM

Send a message via AIM to Erock 808
Aight BB, you've twisted my arm! I've considered it! LOL!