YourMicro.com - HPI Micro RS4, Losi Mini-T, XRay M18, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, M18, M18T, RC18T, Mini-LST, Mini-T, Micro RS4, XRay, 1/18, 18th scale
M18 Hop-Ups, M18 Parts, Mini-LST Hop-Ups, Mini-LST Parts, Kyosho, Atomic, 3Racing, Country Alloy Works, Castle Creations, Trinity, Intellect, United RC, Battery Packs, 2/3A

Go Back   YourMicro.com Forums > HPI Micro RS4 > Micro RS4 Discussion

Old 05-21-2009, 01:43 AM

Tuning/Set-up help, Thinking about a Brushless Drifter

I'd like to be more of an involved member over here. My Micro RS4 Drift Rx7 is my first and only larger scale rc (only experience is 1/28th scale), and I've been rather happy with it for the last year that I've had it. Unfortunately, a couple days ago I had my stock 180 motor blow on me, so I've been contemplating an upgrade.

My RS4 is pretty much the stock drifter, cept I dropped some money for the metal dog bones up front. As I was thinking about doing a BL upgrade to my setup, it just so happens that a Team Losi 1/18 6000kv Xcelorin Brushless system popped up in a FS thread at another forum i'm apart of. So now I'm strongly considering getting it and tuning my drifter for some brushless action, maybe even investing in some lipo and grip conversion parts.

I started to look around for some idea as well as tower hobbies for whats available. I know a ball diff and even a steel pinion is in order, also I was hoping to get your ideas on the heat sink upgrade. I figure that would just about help out the mechanical/structural issues i would face. By the way, is there a shock upgrade for this thing? I was hoping to get an oil filled rear shock or spring upgrade to help absorb.

Also, More importantly, is the Team Losi Brushless system capable of being swapped onto the micro RS4 drift without too many complications? I figure its the speed control, a programming card, and motor is able to plug into the HPI electronics package, but would I have to upgrade the fuse? would the D-box still be available for use? Also, I have an Intellect 7.4V 6-cell pack powering right now, would liths be a tad bit too much or would this make it crazily fun? Mind you I have no idea on how to fix up electronics and such.

As far as leaving a grip setup available, I figure the main difference is just dropping the D-box, getting tires and wheels and suggestions are appreciated with this part. Everything else would be based off the parts i get for the drift upgrade.

Also, a final note, this thread is meant to help me set up the preliminary costs and such. I do not own the brushless system at the moment, but if this became the case I would like to know how to build this up properly without having to run into too many problems.

Thanks for your help,
Kaze
Old 05-21-2009, 07:28 AM

Personally, I wouldn't waste the money on a brushless system for the MRS4...It's like putting a top fuel drag engine in a Yugo. The car is a great little platform, but if you overpower it, it's useless. I'd go with a decent 280-300 size brushed motor, like a Losi mini baja, or Graupner 300.
If you want to make it a normal running car, instead of just a drifter, you only need to get rid if the D-box and get tires. HPI and TRC make foam tires that work well. Go with soft or medium rears, and hard fronts.
Later on, depending on your budget, you might want to invest in a rear ball diff....Hope this helps. Good Luck.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:27 AM

I've seen your post on this before, lemme just say you really like that "It's like dropping a top fuel engine in a yugo" analogy.

I mean, I understand brushless motors are supposed to be powerful, but I've seen people do Brushless Xmods and those are even smaller. I think it's possible to gear these high enough that will help keep control over the drift. Aren't these motors adjustable too, i mean they can accept even 6 cell configurations, I don't necessarily have to upgrade into liths, keeping the 7.4V NiMH cells should be enough too.

If 1/18 brushless is too much what about the smaller 1/36 Mini-T brushless system? It must be just as torquey, I'm looking for a higher rev though, The Drift setup doesn't need that much because of the hard plastic tires and such.

As for the grip settings, I figured as much, I was just trying to make a brushless grip setup as well. I think the set up would be interesting to have brushless and tuning to alter between grip and drift.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:17 PM

The tire combinaton and ball diff I suggested works well for me on asphalt and smooth concrete.
Regarding the brushless system, you've apparently read other posts on the subject, and have your mind set on one anyway. Have at it....It's your money.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alfred Send a message via MSN to alfred Send a message via Yahoo to alfred
Im not familiar with that bl system....what size motor is it......can you please post a link to the system.
Spektrumized
Old 05-21-2009, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Winn View Post
The tire combinaton and ball diff I suggested works well for me on asphalt and smooth concrete.
Regarding the brushless system, you've apparently read other posts on the subject, and have your mind set on one anyway. Have at it....It's your money.
It's not so much that I have my mind set on it, like you said its an expensive system, I don't know much about motors bigger than 130. Maybe you can help pair me with something, it just so happens that the BL systems are available for me to grab at a cheaper price.

If I had to descibe to motor I was looking for, I want something that can go upto 45mph like some brushless can (they can go faster). It has to feel torquey but can rev and scream kinda loud.. idk if that makes sense. It basically has to feel like a racing motor that revs high and can make the car go fast.

BL I know has this effect but I want its settings to be changed between drift outputs and grip outputs, Tires etc would be worked with. BL's also being ESC's with em for their system... so you know, I figure it would help handle all electronics issues at once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfred View Post
Im not familiar with that bl system....what size motor is it......can you please post a link to the system.
http://www.losi.com/Search/Default.a.../36_Sensorless

Thats the official Team Losi 1/36 Xcelorin BL page. From what I can tell off the bat, it's sensorless... It's intended for their micro-T's or w/e the 1/36 buggies/dirt trucks are.
On a Xmod forum that I'm a member of, someone fit this into a 130 can to help hold it in place, and also disguise it to look like a regular 130 motor. It was pretty sick just to say the least
Old 05-21-2009, 04:46 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alfred Send a message via MSN to alfred Send a message via Yahoo to alfred
You will have longer runtimes with that motor for sure, but as for going that fast i dont think that motor will bring you up too speed, i might be wrong though........might be torquey though. Now as for grip i would try a set of hard foams up front and soft foams in the rear....check out HPI's foam sets, i have had great performance out of them.
Spektrumized

Last edited by alfred; 05-21-2009 at 04:49 PM.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:57 PM

hmm, is there anyway I can get the tires without them being glued to rims? (I'd like to have my wheel options) I guess I would have to try and remove em and then re-glue to other wheels.

What about suspension, can't help but notice that neither of you answered that.

Also would this ESC in the 1/36 Brushless system replace that Fuse box ESC in the stock EP? I figure the 1/36 BL is torquey, but idk how it feels with the highest pinion available you get me? I mean I was thinking BL with like the 13T steel pinion to get speed and take away from the torque.
Old 05-21-2009, 05:00 PM
Super Moderator

You should be fine with the stock springs....unless you want to go with a vcs shock.......yes i would do the same thing with the pinion. You will also need to replace the stock esc with a bl kind.....or get an esc that will also do bl and brushed motors as well.
Spektrumized
Old 05-21-2009, 05:18 PM

hmm I might look into that rear shock, I feel that the stock might not absorb enough of the forces when acclerating from stock, as Russ stated, a BL might be too much power for the stock chasis, so I have to take things into account.

I only found medium foam tires on HPI's site. Which should I be using, the 17mm wheels?

I remember reading some other brushless builds on the MRS4, but there were never any deffinate pics or evidence of this build working. I'm thinking about grabbing a BMW shell for the extended wheel base to help spread the power out.

EDIT: I also forgot, don't BL combo's come with ESC's? what's that electronic board it brings with it?

Last edited by Kaze; 05-21-2009 at 05:21 PM.
Old 05-21-2009, 05:28 PM

Don't know how much the suspension will help. I've been changing the spring rate and haven't seen much improvement. I did find that the ball diff and tires (especially tires) made more difference than anything else.

I'm currently using the GRP 1/18 foam tires http://www.grpgandini.com/uk/gomme_1-18tourmicro.html seems to work great and last prettty long. Slightly cheaper than the HPI foams. I'm running soft in the rear and medium or hard fronts. Need the mediums front ones for high speed track from what I find.

oh, I'm not running a BL but running the Orion core modified
Old 05-21-2009, 05:33 PM
Super Moderator

The mediums will work well then....and as for the bl combo yes it comes with an esc.....Another thing that you might want to look at is another chassis.....and as for the foams you want the 17mm for the rears and the 14mm foams for the front. You can find lots more info in the 540 section.
Spektrumized
Old 07-28-2009, 03:17 PM

So its been a little while since I've shown my face but i finally picked up in 280 motor from a friend in the Xmod Community. The problem is the stock motor mount doesn't work for this motor, I think the motor is a Team losi one but all i can see is a model # or something on the can, there's no other markings or anything. Any ideas on the mount idea or anything? Also it didn't come with motor wires, does it matter which I make pos and neg?
Old 07-28-2009, 05:30 PM

You might need a motor mount that fits the bigger motors. Not exactly where to find one of those these days it's pretty hard.

IF you have the positive and negative reverse, then you'll go in the reverse direction.