YourMicro.com - HPI Micro RS4, Losi Mini-T, XRay M18, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, M18, M18T, RC18T, Mini-LST, Mini-T, Micro RS4, XRay, 1/18, 18th scale
M18 Hop-Ups, M18 Parts, Mini-LST Hop-Ups, Mini-LST Parts, Kyosho, Atomic, 3Racing, Country Alloy Works, Castle Creations, Trinity, Intellect, United RC, Battery Packs, 2/3A
Old 07-05-2007, 12:23 AM

New Battery Set up?

Hey guys,

My buddy and I just pick up one of the Pro pulse trucks. After finding out that it took 10 hrs. for one charge we were like WTF! Well I have a 9.6V rc battery charger and was woundering if I could do some soldering and be able to charge my battery off that charger? Or would it explode the battery since its only a 7.2V? Does anyone have any suggestions?
Old 07-05-2007, 01:12 AM

I am not knowledgeable on changing the battery stuff that you mentioned, but you can buy quick chargers that will charge your battery in anywhere from 15-30 minutes. Someone posted a link to a charger that he recommended in another thread on here. If you go to your local hobby shop you can also pick up a quick charger there. radioshack sells a quick charger for the propulse cars as well. Keep in mind that sometimes you might have to make sure that the connectors on your battery match that of the charger. Remember to allow your battery time to cool off after using it before your stick it on the charger. I had a special adapter made to fit my batteries. So now, I can charge all 3 types of batteries on the same quick charger. Hope this gives you some ideas. Also, enjoy your new truck!
Old 07-05-2007, 08:28 AM

There are several choices for you.

Buy RS quick charger (I think it's a 2 hour charger)
Buy a Losi Sport Charger or simular (2 hour charger with trickle) and either change the plugs on the battery or charger or make an adapter from the HPI Mini to the Mini Tamiya that the Pro-Pulse Uses (or change both to Deans Ultra)
Buy a Dynamite Prophet Plus LCD or similar that allows you to adjust the charging amperage. You will have to either change the plugs on your battery (or charger) or make an adapter. The ability to charge at low rates (.1 amp) or higher rates (4 amp) is good if you are charging batteries for several different vehicles.

I personally use both 2 and 3. I converted the batteries to Deans Connectors and made adapters so I can charge them with these chargers (Losi a HPI Mini to Deans and the Prophet a Tamiya to Deans.)

Getting a good charger is a big deal, think about if you are only going to have this one car or several different manufacturer/scales. If you are going use only Ni-MH or LiPo or Both. Some chargers can handle 4-7 or 4-8 cell Ni-MH batteries and others can charge LiPo's some can charge both. Since I'm not running LiPo (Lithium Polymer)

I went with the Prophet Plus LCD as my main and the Losi as a Backup. But I charge the Micro T (4 Cell 4.8v/160mah charge rate .1 to .2 amp) as well as my Pro-Pulse/RC18T and Mini-T (6 cell 7.2v/1400mah charge rate 1.0 to 1.4 amp) batteries with it. The Micro-T batteries charge in 35-40 minutes (but it saves the battery life) and the others charge in about 1 hour to 1 hour 20 minutes.

My wife uses a different Dynamite charger that can only switch between 1-2-4 amps but can handle 4-8 cells (She has a Mini-Inferno with 9.6v (8 cell) battery.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BilboBaggins View Post
There are several choices for you.

Buy RS quick charger (I think it's a 2 hour charger)
Buy a Losi Sport Charger or simular (2 hour charger with trickle) and either change the plugs on the battery or charger or make an adapter from the HPI Mini to the Mini Tamiya that the Pro-Pulse Uses (or change both to Deans Ultra)
Buy a Dynamite Prophet Plus LCD or similar that allows you to adjust the charging amperage. You will have to either change the plugs on your battery (or charger) or make an adapter. The ability to charge at low rates (.1 amp) or higher rates (4 amp) is good if you are charging batteries for several different vehicles.

I personally use both 2 and 3. I converted the batteries to Deans Connectors and made adapters so I can charge them with these chargers (Losi a HPI Mini to Deans and the Prophet a Tamiya to Deans.)

Getting a good charger is a big deal, think about if you are only going to have this one car or several different manufacturer/scales. If you are going use only Ni-MH or LiPo or Both. Some chargers can handle 4-7 or 4-8 cell Ni-MH batteries and others can charge LiPo's some can charge both. Since I'm not running LiPo (Lithium Polymer)

I went with the Prophet Plus LCD as my main and the Losi as a Backup. But I charge the Micro T (4 Cell 4.8v/160mah charge rate .1 to .2 amp) as well as my Pro-Pulse/RC18T and Mini-T (6 cell 7.2v/1400mah charge rate 1.0 to 1.4 amp) batteries with it. The Micro-T batteries charge in 35-40 minutes (but it saves the battery life) and the others charge in about 1 hour to 1 hour 20 minutes.

My wife uses a different Dynamite charger that can only switch between 1-2-4 amps but can handle 4-8 cells (She has a Mini-Inferno with 9.6v (8 cell) battery.

Thanks for the help but, I have no clue what amperage the charger is. All I know is that its a Nikko Rc charger made to charge an 8 cell 9.6V battery. Do you know if Ill be able to use it?
Thanks -dan
Old 07-05-2007, 05:51 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alfred Send a message via MSN to alfred Send a message via Yahoo to alfred
I dont recommend using it.....9.6 volts is going to a bit high especially if the battery pack is rated for 7.2volts...... i recommend getting this basic charger it will allow the user to change the amperage and also the milliamps per cell as well. Great charger for the beginner.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXCLD5&P=ML
Spektrumized
Old 07-05-2007, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfred View Post
I dont recommend using it.....9.6 volts is going to a bit high especially if the battery pack is rated for 7.2volts...... i recommend getting this basic charger it will allow the user to change the amperage and also the milliamps per cell as well. Great charger for the beginner.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXCLD5&P=ML

Thanks for the help. One question, How long would it take to charge the battery for the T-100 using that charger you showed me on the link?
Thanks-Dan
Old 07-05-2007, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alfred Send a message via MSN to alfred Send a message via Yahoo to alfred
It all depends on the charge rate and if the pack still has some charge in it.....@ 2amps it might take anywhere from 30 to 45minutes.........way better then having to wait for 2hours for the pack to get done charging......and as as rc'er you might want to have more packs laying around.
Spektrumized
Old 07-05-2007, 07:54 PM

Quote:
It all depends on the charge rate and if the pack still has some charge in it.....@ 2amps it might take anywhere from 30 to 45minutes.........way better then having to wait for 2hours for the pack to get done charging......and as as rc'er you might want to have more packs laying around.

Ok sweet thanks. Because right now 10Hrs for one charge is rediculous for only getting 30min-1Hr for one charge. Thanks alot for the help.
-Dan
Old 07-05-2007, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator

Hey it was no problem at all........
Spektrumized
Old 07-05-2007, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Hey it was no problem at all........

ok well I found another charger like the other one I was talking to you about but very much like the stock pro pulse one. They are both the same power class rating but imput power to the pro pulse charger is 4.2W and the other charger is 4.5W. Then the output for the pro pulse charger is 9V 150mA and the other is 9.6V 170mA This other charger I have also has an LED light to say when it is done so I wont overload the battery. Do you think I could possibly use this other charger?
thanks-Dan
Old 07-05-2007, 10:14 PM
Super Moderator

it doesnt hurt to try.....the most it will do is hiss.......
Spektrumized
Old 07-05-2007, 10:22 PM

Quote:
it doesnt hurt to try.....the most it will do is hiss.......
Well wait a sec what do you mean by hiss? like overload and koll the battery?
Old 07-05-2007, 10:28 PM
Super Moderator

Yes when you hear the battery hiss its the battery or cell venting......this will damage the cell or pack......if its just a cell then you can replace it.
Spektrumized
Old 07-05-2007, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Yes when you hear the battery hiss its the battery or cell venting......this will damage the cell or pack......if its just a cell then you can replace it.
Ok thanks. I might just give it a try tomarrow.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:41 PM
Super Moderator

If the pack gets too hot then i suggest unplugging it and letting the pack cool......
Spektrumized