YourMicro.com - HPI Micro RS4, Losi Mini-T, XRay M18, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, M18, M18T, RC18T, Mini-LST, Mini-T, Micro RS4, XRay, 1/18, 18th scale
M18 Hop-Ups, M18 Parts, Mini-LST Hop-Ups, Mini-LST Parts, Kyosho, Atomic, 3Racing, Country Alloy Works, Castle Creations, Trinity, Intellect, United RC, Battery Packs, 2/3A
Old 01-16-2005, 05:27 PM
Micrologist/Moderator

Question Question: TLT Rockbuster or Max Climber??

I am seriously considering getty my paws on a TKT-1. My mind was set on the RockBuster then I came across the Max Climber.
The impression I get is that the TLT-1 Max Climber is an improved version of the RockBuster.

I go by this from an e-tailer who sells both types:

Quote:

"Loads Of Improvements
Now compatible with a standard lay down battery pack, the Max Climber does not require a special battery like its predecessor the Rock Buster. Other improvements on the Rock Buster include a 2mm thick black anodized aluminum frame and metal plated wheels featuring a shiny red finish"
Unquote..

The metal plated wheels mean diddly squat to me, it's cosmetic, but I am curious as to whether the Max Climber has an improved frame or if the "improvement" is based around the fact that the frame/chassis is black anodized.
The lay-down battery has its obvious advantages.

My sources come from here

There's a $35 difference in price
The RockBuster sells at $125 and the Max Climber sells at $160

So, can the TLT-1 owners please inform me if the improved chassis is cosmetic or is it actually a thicker, more rigid design?

Thanks...
Old 01-16-2005, 05:47 PM
Micro Novice

The center diff comes locked, thats the only thing i saw that actually mattered.

A tube of JB costs 5 bucks :P
Old 01-16-2005, 08:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to pomme de terre Send a message via MSN to pomme de terre
nope actually it doesnt... they were SUPPOSED to make a center spool but didnt, so you still have to lock it

only difference besides cosmetics is that the max climber comes with a stick pack holder.... not really worth the extra money if you ask me
most people run stick packs in their rock buster using some zip ties anyways

so basically get the rockbuster
mondo, you wont be dissapointed
Old 01-17-2005, 02:51 AM
Micrologist/Moderator

Choices

Pomme,

Thanks for the reply. I guess the Max Climber will be my choice.
Now I've started looking deeper into the TLT-1 I'm contemplating a full Penguin chassis for it. Not cheap but a huge improvement over the standard chassis geometry.
I see Tamiya also make CF chassis sides for the TLT-1s
Old 01-17-2005, 11:26 AM
Micro Novice

Send a message via Yahoo to kirnkorner2001
I've said it before, and I'll say it over and over again; get the Rock Buster. You'll save some mondy up front, and you'll get the same benefits if not more down the road.

Here's my take on it:
1. The Max Climber costs more.
2. You can use a standard stick pack in the Rock Buster with just a little modification. If I can do it ANYONE can do it.
3. The center of gravity is higher on the Max Climber so it's more prone to tip over.
4. You'll be stuck using SUV bodies on the Max Climber.

Now, this is not exactly from first hand experience, but it's what I read and researched extensively before I purchased. I too leaned towards the Max Climber. I'm not saying the Max Climber is a bad truck; I'm sure it's just as good as the Rock Buster, but I think that they fail to mention a few things on the Tamiya site.

90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.
Old 01-17-2005, 01:32 PM
Micrologist/Moderator

Choices..

Right,

It's my understanding that these two TLT-1 based models have the same suspension geometry. I don''t quite understand how the Max Climber will be more prone to rolling than the RockBuster.

The max Climber is marginally (not overly) more costly than the RockBuster, so price is not an issue on this.

Why would one be "stuck" with using SUV bodies?
I'm curious to know
Old 01-17-2005, 02:47 PM
Micro Novice

From what I know both trucks use the same suspension setup, but the Max Climber has a part that holds the stick pack on the top center & rear of the chassis. That makes it slightly more top heavy. Being more top heavy, it's going to roll more.

Since the battery pack is on the center & rear of the chassis on the Max Climber, and you can't easily move it, you have to use an SUV body on it.

When I get home this evening, I'll try to get a snapshot taken of my truck so you can see how easy it is to mount a stick pack in, and how mine looks.

Again, I have NOTHING against the Max Climber, I'm just a tightwad. If I can find something that is cheaper, I'm all over it. If price is not an issue, go for the Max Climber.

Old 01-17-2005, 03:04 PM

Send a message via AIM to pomme de terre Send a message via MSN to pomme de terre
many have still mounted normal bodies on the max climber... but with the max climber, COG is going to be higher since the stick pack is about an inch higher than saddle packs (dont buy that triangular pack tamiya recommends)

but since you say you may be getting a penguin chassis, then go with a rockbuster
i do not believe you can use stick packs after upgrading to the penguin chassis since it uses new battery plates (which also mount batteries lower)
the penguin chassis requires saddle packs

so you might as well save some money and get the rockbuster since you wont be running stick packs with the new chassis anyways
saddle packs are better to use in the TLT anyways and keeps the car more balanced
Old 01-17-2005, 04:07 PM
Micrologist/Moderator

Question Choices.........

pomme de terre & kirnkorner2001

Thanks for the replies and patience with my mundane questioning. I want to use this for crawling, not anything too adventurous as I have enough Micros to do the speed thing with.
The Penguin chassis looks great, but to be honest, I prefer the look of metal on an MT opposed to CF which looks great on race cars/trucks.

One last question, both types of TLT-1s have a centre diff, or does the Max Climber have a locked centre diff?
Old 01-17-2005, 04:18 PM

both come with a center ball diff.... and front and rear gear diffs
locking them isnt that hard, traxxas slipper pegs for the center diff is the easiest, removeable way

have fun with your TLT... im sure youll turn it into something awesome like all your other cars
Old 01-17-2005, 09:45 PM
Micro Novice

Pics of the chassis with the stick pack mounted (as promised).

Sorry some of them are a little blurry, it's late, and it's been a long day.

There are other ways to do it, but I didn't have to drill or modify the stock chassis at all to get them in. Ripper shows a great way to mount them in the micro mag, but he did drill new holes in the side plates for the zip ties.

Old 01-18-2005, 08:11 AM
Micrologist/Moderator

Choices......

Guys,

Thanks a million for the input. I appreciate the time and effort taken to answer the questions I've asked
Thanks for the great photos too

Time to go to an e-tailer and get one. For the time being I'll leave it standard but I am tempted to install a wild motor.
My choice will be the Max Climber solely on the fact it's a little different from the RockBuster.
Old 08-31-2006, 01:54 PM

what are ur takes on thee battery tamiiya suggested fro the stock rockbuster...i havent yet got the battery and was wondering what substitutions are available for direct fit and not costing me a bundle....Thx..
Old 08-31-2006, 11:01 PM

Well it appears that others got the standard batterry to fit with little modification... You will most likely get more run time with the regular battery.