YourMicro.com - HPI Micro RS4, Losi Mini-T, XRay M18, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, M18, M18T, RC18T, Mini-LST, Mini-T, Micro RS4, XRay, 1/18, 18th scale
M18 Hop-Ups, M18 Parts, Mini-LST Hop-Ups, Mini-LST Parts, Kyosho, Atomic, 3Racing, Country Alloy Works, Castle Creations, Trinity, Intellect, United RC, Battery Packs, 2/3A
Old 08-28-2006, 08:42 PM

well just had a little run on the mlst, and the front diffs are working smooth as silk now, it doesnt grind anymore...

check to see if you can push the outdrive around sideways, thats what i found was happening with my b&s pinion in the rear, so i tightened it down and it fits snugly now.... the pinion gear was being pushed sideways when im accelerating hard or braking hard, and it caused the gears to skip and make a barking sound, maybe if the pinion was a gpm pinion (b&s gears have a different mesh to all other gears) it would result in a split pinion
Old 08-29-2006, 10:38 PM

ok i have a strange new problem with the gpm gears up my front... at first i wasted my center mini t mip ball diff, then when i installed the mini lst version of the ball diff, it still behaved like the ball diff was slipping , like the spur gear shaft is spinning but the outdrives underneath the spur gear arent... well, at least the rearward center outdrive wasnt spinning....but i didnt spot that straight away

when i was trying to tighten my new mlst ball diff, the screw side was at the rear (so the rear has to stay still) and the nut side was at the front, so when i turned the front wheels to tighten the diff it felt like it was doing something,it felt like it was driving a screw against a nut, but when i looked closely the front center dogbone wasnt even spinning , i thought to myself huh? the diff action was still there, and turning the center outdrive turns the front wheels, but turning the front wheels does not turn the center drivecup when theres something pushing against it (like a ball diff being tightened),i couldnt tell if a tooth was definitely missing from the pinion or not, or if anything has broken ...i put the mini lst on my table so i could get a close look at it, held it down tight and apply throttle and the gpm gears slip under torque, the only thing that moved on my truck was the center tranny gears and the front center dogbone... now i dont know whats causing this to happen, it makes no sense to me at all , like the pinion gear is slotted onto the center drivecup and held there by a screw, it drives the ring gear, which is fixed to the spider gears, which seem to mesh properly with the side gears, which are fixed to the left and right outdrives by hingepins.... somewhere along the way , something's come loose, when i put power thru the drivetrain its just leaking thru the front diff...i'll have to open it up tomorrow, cuz its tomorrow already (5am) and im sleepy

ok opened the front gearbox up, and im greeted with this sight...

hmm, doesnt look that bad, but on closer inspection

hmm it cant be, can it?

oh well looks like it is a problem with the gpm gears after all....

this is the pinion gear on its own
you can see from this picture
that the socket of the gpm pinion is a weak point , as compared to the teeth on the stock gears... perhaps , shimming these gears will be a bad idea because the force of the shaft it sits on is concentrated on a smaller area and increasing the likelyhood of the the plastic around the socket splitting like this

Last edited by carmatic; 08-30-2006 at 02:14 PM.
Old 08-30-2006, 03:44 PM

ok these gears are just a joke... took out the old split pinion, put in a new one, gave it some gas, yay my mini lst can almost wheelie with a ball diff! did it again , ooh thats fast... gas it one more time, and the front pinion starts slipping....the ball diff may be tight enough for a quick start but with a totally unloaded side of the drivetrain it still diffs out and merely pushes the truck around at a snails pace... i dont know what im doing wrong at this point, personally these gears are the most overhyped item ive ever bought , ever....they failed on me within 10 seconds of another rebuild of my truck, at least with the stock pinions this doesnt happen! ive been running that one single stock pinion at the front for who knows how long already and not a single problem... now i have to wait for a few hours for the epoxy to set before i open up my gearbox again, i dont know what im going to replace the gpm pinion with...... oh i forgot to mention, those screwholes in the gpm gearboxes strip out, man now i have first hand experience of just how $h177y gpm really are.... i coat the screws with epoxy before putting them in, the epoxy sets to a plasticy substance but isnt strong enough to hold the screw a-la threadlock ,and it ends up coating the walls of the screwhole so i have 'freshly threaded' screwholes to work with once it dries up...

Last edited by carmatic; 08-30-2006 at 04:02 PM.
Old 08-30-2006, 03:54 PM

Send your pics and issues to GPM, should here back from Clara. Man I will be ticked if my cases strip!
TamTech Frog:Mamba6800,3R shock tower,HPI steel belted slicks, 3R knuckles,Tamiya shocks,
1/10 Frog:CRP items
Blackfoot:HPI rims & Moab meats, Tamiya CVDS, Sport tuned motor,Rooster,CRP items
Hornet,Lunchbox:
Old 08-30-2006, 05:19 PM

well i hope it doesnt strip for you, but my hopes are slim... i was about to buy new gearboxes but i thought i could just fill in the screwholes with epoxy instead and keep on using them that way, hopefully nothing goes wrong like this (i.e. the screws get epoxied in permenantly)

ive just sent an email to chinngai@netvigator.com , with a link to one of the pictures , i dont know how this is gonna help tho...

back to stock pinions it is then, i guess... these gpm gears were exciting up to the point when i actually ran the truck

Last edited by carmatic; 08-30-2006 at 05:31 PM.
Old 08-30-2006, 05:28 PM

I may replace my screws with longer ones if they will fit and use a grade better screw.
TamTech Frog:Mamba6800,3R shock tower,HPI steel belted slicks, 3R knuckles,Tamiya shocks,
Blackfoot:HPI rims & Moab meats, Tamiya CVDS, Sport tuned motor,Rooster,CRP items
Hornet,Lunchbox:
Old 08-30-2006, 06:39 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alfred Send a message via MSN to alfred Send a message via Yahoo to alfred
it seems to me that there are still issues with the diffs.....i was really hoping it was resolved, maybe in a couple of months when someone decides to make them in aluminum or steel.
Spektrumized
Old 08-30-2006, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage030 View Post
I may replace my screws with longer ones if they will fit and use a grade better screw.
get the rcscrewz screws, they are the exact same screws on the gearboxes except they are the correct length

only the screwholes holding the shock tower and the front skidplate have stripped, the screwholes holding the bulkhead seems to be OK... i think they stripped because the gearbox has suffered a couple of collisions and those screws are in the direct path of the shock

well, the epoxy has dried and the screws came out like they were screwed into tight plastic...the epoxy i used was Araldite, by the way...personally i think its a good idea to coat screwholes in metallic components with epoxy, it forms a barrier between the 2 metals...when it sets its like plastic, so hopefully its as if a plastic screw was used in the metallic screwhole, or the metallic screw was used inside a plastic screwhole, and both of them last much longer...
Old 08-30-2006, 11:25 PM

Well hope you can get it sorted out, Im waiting for a few parts for mine. I ordered one of those T bone bumpers, HR slipper disks, mip lightweight top gear shaft, something else but I cant remember. I decided to go back to the original slipper only with the hR disks and pads, I couldnt get the stock gear cover on with the mini T dual slipper and when I got home I noticed my spur was getting chewed up.
Hornet,Lunchbox:
Old 08-31-2006, 12:52 AM

yes the 60t spur gear and the shaft is too big to fit into the gear cover... but if you have a rotary grinding and drilling tool its easy to fix, all it takes is a hole for the shaft to go thru, and the spur gear does actually fit under the gear cover if you made the areas where it touched thinner... the same goes for the pinion gear now that you pushed it further to the side, some areas will be razor thin and there will be almost nothing left of the original thickness, but the gear cover doesnt get exposed to alot of wear and its function for me seems to be to protect your wiring from being chewed up by the gears....

i have opened up the gearbox and had a look at the pinion gear... this one isnt cracked, but there are alot of blue plastic filings all around the shaft.... when i took it off it slid right off, and what i find at the back is just a round hole with 2 smooth sections where the round edges of the slot originally were... hmm if i applied some epoxy to stick the gear firmly onto the shaft as well....
Old 08-31-2006, 01:05 AM

lol your havin fun with that epoxy heh...

Yea I tried that with my gearcover and I kinda sanded to much and it went through the plastic, since theirs a real slipper setup for the stock gear I will just go back to that, only reason I switched was for the slipper pad setup.

Hey Alfred, 52 posts and my avatar has'nt showed up..
Hornet,Lunchbox:
Old 08-31-2006, 09:58 PM

if you only went thru the plastic of the gear cover at a few places (like i did) , then you can use epoxy to cover the holes and thicken up the plastic on the outside