YourMicro.com - HPI Micro RS4, Losi Mini-T, XRay M18, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, M18, M18T, RC18T, Mini-LST, Mini-T, Micro RS4, XRay, 1/18, 18th scale
M18 Hop-Ups, M18 Parts, Mini-LST Hop-Ups, Mini-LST Parts, Kyosho, Atomic, 3Racing, Country Alloy Works, Castle Creations, Trinity, Intellect, United RC, Battery Packs, 2/3A
Old 03-25-2008, 12:09 AM

hey erock

lol i know no one else can answer so ill just ask you. im pretty sure ive got problems in my rear diff. it started out as just a lack of traction and what i interpreted as maybe lose mesh or somthing. but now i can see the gears are playing nice with a new pinion i put on. then i noticed alot of torque steer at high speed and further noticed the front wheels were the ones clawing for traction as the rear sat goin with the flow. then pushing both front wheels at the same time moves the rear wheels but doing the same with my hand to the rear set does not move the front much. its now to the point where it does even hook up front or rear enough to drive over my foot and the motor is screaming and the car just kinda hangs out and barely moves.

i understand this happening since it probably was never designed for real hobby ppl who would modify it. but are the differentials replaceable with somthing alot better? what do you recomend or know of?
Old 03-25-2008, 09:19 AM

I'll take a stab at it.....I have several 18t's and I am told that the diffs are very similar. Sounds to me that they need to be either cleaned lubed and adjusted properly or rebuilt. First thing I would try is to adjust them. When you pop off the tie rod and remove the dogbone there will be a screw visible on one side inside the diff half output shaft. Tighten this all the way down and then back it off about 1/8th turn for the front and 1/4 for the rear. If that doesnt work youll need to dissasemble the diff and inspect the inside.
Check that the large balls are round and do not have flat spots and that the pressure plates do not have a groove cut into them (these are flippable so you can trash both sides). If those are both good then look at the small balls on the screw head side that are sandwiched between two washers (also pressure plates) make sure they are clean and dont have flat spots and there is no groove in the washers/pressure plates. These can also be flipped if there is a groove. If any of these things are bad they should be replaced and everything cleaned and relubed with fresh grease. Here is a tip.....I use a small piece of thin foam (about1/16 inch) just big enough(I use a hole punch) to insert into the output shaft on the side where the small bearings get exposed to dust and dirt. This keeps them clean and they last way longer.
Most important thing is to keep them adjusted properly though. I check mine constantly.
A little breathy but I hope this helps.

Regards,
Pux
Old 03-25-2008, 12:12 PM

Send a message via AIM to Erock 808
Hey Pux, very good reply. You were very detailed, and I couldn't have said it better myself. Thanks for helping out my man skawty!

So skawty go ahead and try that out. Hopefully that solves your problem!?
Old 03-25-2008, 12:21 PM

Hey skawty!

As Pux had mentioned earlier, the Pro-Pulse and Team Associated diffs are indeed similar! So if you want to go ahead and replace your diffs, then check this out. I needed to replace the diffs in one of my Pro-Pulse T100's, and I posted this pic in one of my earlier threads, but here you go.
This is a picture of my blown Pro-Pulse differential outdrive and the RC18MT differential I replaced it with.

As you can see, the Team Associated diffs are a direct fit. I'd recommend that you replace the whole unit, instead of trying to salvage parts from the Pro-Pulse.
Use Team Associated part #21024 - Complete Differential Kit $8.99
(click the link to see a picture of it) http://aedownloads.com/downloads/item_photos/21024.jpg

You might as well replace your input gear while you're at it!
That would be part #21022 - Differential and Input Gear $3.99
(click the link to see a picture of it)
http://aedownloads.com/downloads/item_photos/21022.jpg
You're going to have an extra Diff gear, but you can keep it as a spare!

Now, if you want to take it to the next level, then you might want to invest in MIP Super Diffs!
#1444 MIP Super Diff for Assoc. 18T/18MT/18B $19.95
(You will still need to purchase the Team Associated Diffs to complete)

*Note* if you need directions on how to build the diffs, then click on the link for the Team Associated RC18T manual.
http://aedownloads.com/downloads/manuals/18t_manual.pdf
turn to page 3
Old 03-31-2008, 01:33 PM

wow, i just cant imagine this hobby without guys like you two in the forums to save guys like me's butt in a situation like this..thanks a ton. erock, thanks for the part numbers. thats gonna make it alot easier on me to order as i really have never had to deal with differentials other then calling the traxxas dealer and saying i need a whole new diff assembly and dropping it back in place.

so is that part number the same for the front and back diff's? as i think id like to replace both at the same time. and is that all i will need is the first two parts you listed for front and back? sorry to sound unknowing, im sure id be more experienced if i had ever opened the front end up. but the work ive done in my pulse is minimal so i really dont know what the inside of any of the casings looks like..haha so im not rc dumb i promise! just havent worked on my pulse too much to know its in's and out's yet. but im definately getting there fast once i replace these diffs theres not much else to learn since its such a simple little unit. now i just need to figure out how to fix my toe in problem....maybe the rc18t ties would bolt in? do they use snap ons/pivot balls or screw on? i guess i should probably just look myself

thank you a ton guys. without ppl like you, this hobby would be alot tougher.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:17 PM

No probem, skawty! That's what the forums are here for!

I figured the part #'s would come in handy for you, making it a whole lot easier for you to order. The diffs are indeed identical for the front and the rear, so only one part #.

To fix your camber links, you won't be able to use the "stock" camber links from Team Associated because they are not the proper length. You would have to use the adjustable turn buckles so that you can dial it in to the proper length. They snap-on to your pivot balls.

Team Associated part# 21052 18T Steel Turnbuckle Set w/ ball cups - $7.99
(View Here: http://aedownloads.com/downloads/item_photos/21052.jpg)

Or if you're willing to spend a little more, you can get Titanium Turnbuckles, which are even stronger.

Team Associated part# 21055 FT Titanium Turnbuckle, with wrench - $29.99
(View Here: http://aedownloads.com/downloads/item_photos/21055.jpg)