YourMicro.com - HPI Micro RS4, Losi Mini-T, XRay M18, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, M18, M18T, RC18T, Mini-LST, Mini-T, Micro RS4, XRay, 1/18, 18th scale
M18 Hop-Ups, M18 Parts, Mini-LST Hop-Ups, Mini-LST Parts, Kyosho, Atomic, 3Racing, Country Alloy Works, Castle Creations, Trinity, Intellect, United RC, Battery Packs, 2/3A
Old 01-23-2004, 06:32 AM
Micro Master

Post Official message from XRAY

Xray would like to address a few issues on which we have received numerous inquiries, to make sure that we address the most frequently asked questions and issues.

M18 original kit:
It was a challenge to make a micro car that is easy for beginners to drive while still allowing professional drivers to achieve top results; we are sure you will agree that the M18 achieves both these aims. We therefore designed the M18 to be easy to drive, yet be easily upgradeable for high competition.

The M18 was designed for club racers and for new drivers, which is why it is so easy to build and have it on the track without any extensive setup. The 4° rear toe-in and 12° caster make it easy to drive and handle well, and the stock gearing gives the car a good balance of acceleration and speed for stock racing. The Power Pack includes all the necessary electronics for completing the kit and running it with a great performance. Using the stock configuration, that is stock motor, 5 cell battery pack and rubber tires, the car will handle extremely well and with high performance and without any problems at all.

Motor overheating:
To achieve the best race times in stock racing without overtaxing a stock motor and electronics, the M18 should be used with the stock 36T spur gear and 17T pinion gear, with a 5-cell (6.0V) battery pack. Note that using higher voltage battery packs, improper gearing, and higher grip foam tires may increase the stress on the electronic components (for example, a stock motor) and result in higher loads, higher heat, and decreased performance.

To run high-performance electronics such as modified motors, super size motors, more than 5 cell batteries, will require different gearing. The optional 42T spur gear and additional pinions will enable you to run these high-performance electronics without having any motor heat-related problems.

To avoid motor overheating, you should make sure that all transmission parts are clean and free from debris, so they turn absolutely freely without binding. To check this, disconnect the motor and turn the main shaft by hand to check that all four wheels turn freely and easily. Also, check for binding in any of
the suspension components, and carefully resolve the problem (for example, exchange ball-bearings, etc.).

Differential "clicking"
The gear differentials were designed and tested using the stock kit configuration, and under racing conditions the differentials work extremely well without problems.
However, the use of higher performance equipment (such as high-performance motors, higher capacity batteries 6 or more cells, or high-grip foam tires), the front diff may make a "clicking" noise. This does NOT result in any significant performance decrease. XRAY is addressing this issue. For those customers who will be running high performance electronics, high-performance options (such as alu adjustable ball differential and front one-way axle) are offered that will eliminate this issue.

Power Pack:
The Power Pack includes all electronics necessary to get the M18 ready to race. The micro stock motor gives a great performance and is a great starting point. The included XMC180 speed controller is one of the world’s smallest digital ESCs with reverse.

EXTREMELY IMPORTANT: The XMC180 ESC is designed to work only with the micro stock motor and up to 5-cell battery packs; the use of any other motor (modified or super size) will damage the ESC and void the product warranty.

The XMS01MG servo included in the Power Pack features metal gear outputs and is great for the stock M18. Using other plastic-gear servos in the M18 may result in servo breakage; as such we strongly recommend using the servo included in the Power Pack.
An optional servo saver is offered, which will help to alleviate any servo breakage issues with any type of servo.

The XMS01MG servo is not compatible with analog receivers, and the servo will not work with the KO Propo KR-301F receiver.

High performance racing:
For professional racing, high performance option parts are offered to enable you to fine-tune the M18 to achieve better results. Options include, but are not limited to, the following:
• graphite chassis with extra cooling holes
• alu motor mount
• optional gearing (42T spur and additional pinions)
• adjustable ball differential
• front one-way axle
• alu drive shafts
• adjustable toe linkages
• servo saver

XRAY has been diligently working on designing and producing additional and better parts and products for the M18 so it can be better tuned for various racing conditions.
The M18 project is receiving extra high attention for further development and continuous R&D, so prepare for plenty of cool and high competition stuff coming out!

Please subscribe news at www.teamxray.com to be informed about any new products coming out.

Last edited by mario; 01-23-2004 at 06:38 AM.
Old 01-23-2004, 07:28 AM
Micro Master

Thanks for the updates and a really great kit. I'm sure I speak for many of us when I say I can't wait to see where further development of the M18 leads.
Old 01-23-2004, 10:18 AM
Micro Master

Mario,

First, let me thank you for designing quite a nice little car -- I can honestly say this is a superior design (stock) compared to other 1/18th brands (stock). I've had several HPI MRS4's, and I still like driving the M18 better.

This is not to say there aren't a few things I would change:

1. The springs are pretty soft and don't appear to have quite the strength to handle the weigth of the car. Perhaps I'm missing something, but if I press down lightly on the car I get smooth compression all the way down. However, the springs do not appear strong enough to lift the car all the way back up. As far as I can see, nothing is binding, none of the linkage connections are excessively tight. Comments?

Note: The car I'm using has a hacker B20 brushless and 4 cells, so it is not excessively heavy. In fact, from what I can tell it weighs about the same as the a stock motor w/ 4 - 5 cells. The weight distribution is balanced nicely fore and aft.

2. I know you're planning on offering a servo-saver, so would you please ensure there's one that fits Hitec servos? A great many of us 1/18th scale drivers use the Hitec 81mg, 85mg, etc. None of the stock servo arms fit these servos (I figured it was an oversight) but I'd like to see the servo-saver do so.

Last edited by ELF; 01-23-2004 at 10:23 AM.
Old 01-23-2004, 10:21 AM

I have heard that there will be oil filled shocks and maybe a front/rear sway bar... Is this true?
Old 01-23-2004, 10:57 AM
Micro Novice

Unhappy

I am also very impressed with the M18. But, even in this post, you refer to the optional parts as if they are available and in the stores now. They are not, as far as I can tell. This must have been an oversight by XRAY, because the demand is obviously there. This was an existing sport, with experienced drivers already involved, and ready to fine tune their cars to better suit their driving abilities. The impatience is growing by the day. XRAY is leaving money on the table, by allowing aftermarket companies to profit by getting a jump on them. The reputation & quality of XRAY makes us want to wait to see what is going to be available before we make the jump to the aftermarket products.
Old 01-23-2004, 02:33 PM
Micro Master

Elf your comment about springs is a good one and I hope someone addresses this issue soon!

Cobraman, I hear you, I wish companys would have the optional parts ready when they release a car because a lot of people are not newbies we are just looking for something better or faster!
Old 01-23-2004, 04:40 PM
volavracing

I agree CobraMan, I would love to buy XRay parts and they talk as if they are avliable now, but here in TN the power pack is not. I guess my question Mario is when do you expect the end users to be able to get the equipment to complete the car? I had wanted to use the XRay stuff and have waited a month, but I'm tired of waiting, so now I have novak stuff.
Old 01-23-2004, 09:54 PM
96744 Micro's

At least you guys on the mainland can buy them!

Hey my lhs here in Hawaii got the o.k. to carry the Xray M18 before x-mas and still has'nt not gotten them in! I don't think there is a single M18 in Hawaii? But I will be holding off getting one until the support is actually there?
Old 01-23-2004, 10:44 PM
Micro Master

Thanks for the update Mario. All the upgrade parts sound great but when will they be available??
Old 01-24-2004, 12:19 AM
Micro Master

Availability

The extremely high demand resulted into set-up of non-stop manufacturing to cover the demand and to get all the products to customers as quick as possible. The holiday season and end year procedures were another issue that put a "brake" on the whole process, but the things are now in movement. The first parts are in distribution these days (official release with listing of part numbers will be at www.teamxray.com) and most of the parts will be finished soon. All information will be released at Xray homepage, so make sure not to miss.
Old 01-24-2004, 01:16 AM
registered alcohol user

Send a message via AIM to NorcaliDrifter
my front-way does make clicking sounds...I just noticed that lol. When i was moving my car up and down with my hand. I NEED THOSE PARTS GOSH DANG IT
Old 01-24-2004, 07:35 AM
Micro Master

This topic should be stickyed to the top of this forum!
Old 02-12-2004, 02:52 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by DrDiff
This topic should be stickyed to the top of this forum!
Done!