YourMicro.com - HPI Micro RS4, Losi Mini-T, XRay M18, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, M18, M18T, RC18T, Mini-LST, Mini-T, Micro RS4, XRay, 1/18, 18th scale
M18 Hop-Ups, M18 Parts, Mini-LST Hop-Ups, Mini-LST Parts, Kyosho, Atomic, 3Racing, Country Alloy Works, Castle Creations, Trinity, Intellect, United RC, Battery Packs, 2/3A
Old 03-28-2006, 07:57 PM

Send a message via AIM to Lostinturn3
MLST newbie

hey guys. i am thinking about getting a mlst to race on carpet. what would you guys recommend i do to a stocker to make sure its completely race-ready and competitive?
Old 03-29-2006, 06:59 AM

Completly? I don't think there will ever be a time when your R/C is ever completely "race proof". There will always be something that may happen. Just try and be as preppared as possible. Check all of the moving parts, and try to get some important spares.

If you're going to race on carpet, then you may want to consider locking your center diff. Normally, I would not suggest this mod. There are many a MLST owner that has done this, and then promptly and throughly destroyed their front or rear diff . It always makes me wonder why they can't figure out what happen afterwards ??? Either they didn't know what would happen, or they were willing to take that risk. Either way, they should have thought more about doing it before they actually did it.

For your situation, it maybe beneficall. It should transfer power quicker to your tires. Just be carefull and understand it might break the diff pinion in your diff's.

Nobody's come out with foamies or rubber slicks in the stock MLST size. However, you can get hex adaptors that will enable ou to use2.2" truck or buggy tires. That may help if you can find some foams in that size? They will add more weight though.

Springs have not been released yet . But the green stockers are pretty stiff. Having those on all four corners should help on-road. Maybe something heavier in your shocks as well? Losi puts out TiNi shafts. If you get the 3Racing shocks, the AE buggy springs fit pretty good. The bottom of the spring needs to be opened slightly, but they are affordable and easy to find.

You're going to want to try and get that bad boy as low as possible. The high ride height is one of the disadvatages the MLST has as compared to something like the RC18.

Other than that, just go over everything. Make sure your screws are tight and settings are good. Do check your servo saver. Some seem to be a little loose out of the box. If you drive pretty good (and not like me ), you can "lock" down that saver. It'll give you better feel from the servos. It will almost be like running a regular servo horn. But you will be sacraficing any "cushion" the saver gives you, so be carefull. Also, there is a mod to use Lunsford turnbuckles if you so desire.

Good luck. Maybe you could get Alfred to buy one first, then he could sell it to you for cheap . NAH, just joking Alfred
Old 04-01-2006, 08:24 AM

"a mod to use Lunsford turnbuckles"

you mean this ?

is it just installing these onto the truck, or is there something else...

Quote:
Nobody's come out with foamies or rubber slicks in the stock MLST size. However, you can get hex adaptors that will enable ou to use2.2" truck or buggy tires. That may help if you can find some foams in that size? They will add more weight though.
but it will also bring down the center of gravity, not sure if its a good tradeoff for the added weight... if you could use 2.2" truck and buggy tires maybe its also possible to use 1/10 on road foam tires or something , im guessing because they are on road they will be lightweight

Last edited by carmatic; 04-01-2006 at 08:30 AM.
Old 04-02-2006, 11:43 AM

Send a message via AIM to Lostinturn3
thanks for the help, guys. one little problem: i ended up not getting the truck. the deal fell thru.

Old 04-02-2006, 06:30 PM

oh damn, sorry to hear that...

what kind of deal were you in, was it something specifically to do with racing on carpet
Old 08-23-2006, 06:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to DriftIsTheWayRS
I raced mine on carpet offroad and it was great

Upgraded battery - 6 Cell IB1400 pack
Aluminum rear knuckles
motor heat sinks

thats all I got for mine and I was competition ready, I even ran the stock tires, This year i'll be getting the Losi ATX tires for it in hopes that will hook up better. This little bugger is great out of the box, I havent had as many problems with the diff as the rest of the world has seem to have and it handles good. I missed winning the points series by a mere 25 points. dont really need that many upgrades to compete :-)

www.jamminlidz.com , custom micro rs4 and m18 drift tires for a great price and custom painted bodies!