YourMicro.com - HPI Micro RS4, Losi Mini-T, XRay M18, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, M18, M18T, RC18T, Mini-LST, Mini-T, Micro RS4, XRay, 1/18, 18th scale
M18 Hop-Ups, M18 Parts, Mini-LST Hop-Ups, Mini-LST Parts, Kyosho, Atomic, 3Racing, Country Alloy Works, Castle Creations, Trinity, Intellect, United RC, Battery Packs, 2/3A
Old 01-27-2006, 04:42 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to adamc
Unhappy Brushless sleeper not working

It sucks. It looks so pretty but doesn't work.

Its an hpi mrs4 with AktionRC's sleeper chassis, 9 GP1100's, Mamba 25 esc and a RCER warp4 2 turn 480 motor. with a 24t pinion.

I charge up the pack, plug it in, it drives for about 1 min although its reluctant to take off. The mamba esc gets very hot, then flashes red and just plain wont go afer that.

Upon checking the specs, i realised that the mamba is only rated to 25a continuous while the RCer motor is rated at 32a

http://www.allerc.com/product_info.p...oducts_id=1326

Its bl4-15-2.

I emailed castle creations but they only said that they dont have any idea how the mamba esc will work with my motor and that they really dont recommend a mamba esc with a larger can size motor.

Got an email from allerc regarding the issue that suggests:

"You need to change the software to version 1.02b using a PHX Link. Their new
version of software has some serious bugs with multi pole motors. We just found
this out yesterday so I am glad that you contacted us before having a problem with
the controller."

At least I have 1 thing to try.... just gotta locate or borrow a phx link cable.

What do you think? should I just get a mamba motor and give up on the 480 sized RCer?
Old 01-27-2006, 12:45 PM
micro

well, a mamba motor[100k max] would have more rpm.. but the 480 2turn[40k max] would have more torq[can gear alot higher]
mamba would be lighter... i say mammba
Old 01-27-2006, 08:25 PM
Micro Hybrid Master

Don't get discouraged yet, this is where the fun begins. The first time I dropped a 540 into Micro it didn't work either. The idea was actually abandoned and only later, when I really sat down and thought about what had to be done, did it come together. And only after lots of trial and error - heavy on the trial and heavy on the error.

A 24T pinion is a good pinion to run for the brushed 480 motor, but in your case, with the hot esc and poor run time, I would start with the smallest pinion you can fit, which might be about a 16T to 18T. You may have to modify the rear bulkhead, sand it down a bit, but overgearing can be very hard on all the electronics.

Did you verify the pack is good? Replaced the dead cell? Smooth drivetrain? Gear mesh isn't too tight? You know, the typical things to look for. I'd start with the gearing, get it as low as possible. Upgrade the software in your esc. Try free-running the motor a few times, make sure it revs up nice and high. That's all I can think of at the moment. Keep us updated Adam, I know you'll get it cruising in no time.

Update: Actually after checking out the current draw specs on that motor, I'd say your cells are the limiting factor. Those kind of current numbers are consistant with stock 540-sized motors, and you can't run 540 motors on 2/3A cells, they just don't have the current capability, mainly due to high internal resistance (compared to standard Sub C cells). So all that current your brushless motor is trying to pull drops gobs of voltage in the cells thus dropping your voltage to the motor and, well, it ends up sucking. The only thing you can really do is run bigger cells (1/2SC or 4/5SC) or going Li-po. That might be a good experiment to see if you can get the motor to run better. Only thing, you can't easily fit 4/5SC cells in your sleeper, but you can fit a li-po. Just about any of the lipo packs in our recommended chart will fit. You jsut need a way to raise the pack over the belt.

Last edited by aktiondan; 01-27-2006 at 08:42 PM.
Old 01-28-2006, 12:37 AM

Hi Daniel,

We're leaning towards getting mamba short term to get some use out of the car. The cost of getting the PHX Link cable isn't alot less than getting a new motor.

Take a look at this link though, just come across it.

B-P-P recommended combo

looks like these guys are recommending this combo for trucks

they recommend 8 or 9 cells too

Theres hope yet
Old 01-28-2006, 01:07 AM

Hi Dan,

We are getting a bit discouraged about this one. I think you're right about the cells though. I'll grab the pack out of my 540 and hook it up to see if it behaves a little better.

If it works ok, we'll know what the problem is and see what kind of pack we can get to fit in it.

The car itself is great. good mesh and no resistance without the pinion and have about 1/2mm play on the axle.

I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 01-28-2006, 09:10 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by adamc
Hi Daniel,

looks like these guys are recommending this combo for trucks

they recommend 8 or 9 cells too

Theres hope yet

Eh hmm......Read it again.

Please note that this system is intended to be run ONLY on 11.1v li-poly packs or 9-10 cell nimh packs. It is not intended for low voltage Nimh or li-polys.
Old 01-28-2006, 02:35 PM

Yeah, i got that, i'll be trying my cp1700scr pack with it which should be able to provide sufficient current. I'll post up the results today
Old 01-31-2006, 02:27 PM

I put the rcer and mamba into my 540 and had a go last night

it drve a little better and i got about 2 mins before the overheating problem happened again. so it looks like either the 1700's cant provide enough current too or the prob is something else.

I guess the next step is to change the firmware on the mamba.

Anyone in Aus got a phx link cable i can borrow?
Old 02-22-2006, 07:12 PM
ccarey

update: we bought a link cable and upgraded the firmware on the Mamba ESC. That seemed to go some way toward sorting it out, but it gets pretty warm. The thing is pretty laggy too (sort of like "turbo lag").

Maybe try LiPo now
Old 02-23-2006, 06:58 AM

What pinion are you using?
Old 02-26-2006, 12:35 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Roelof
I think the ESC is the problem....

I am running 11 GP1100 cells and my Lehner/BK combo is running more than 30 amps without any problem.
Old 02-28-2006, 04:51 AM

Hi Roelof

I think you're right about the ESC. I wish there was a way I could prove it though before having to buy another ESC.

hockeypux19, I'm using a 24t pinion at the moment. it feels way undergeared (when working) though.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:29 PM

Send a message via AIM to jaejw1
has anyoine ran a sleeper with a mamba (8000) in it,, i might be planningoon doing this to mine.