YourMicro.com - HPI Micro RS4, Losi Mini-T, XRay M18, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, M18, M18T, RC18T, Mini-LST, Mini-T, Micro RS4, XRay, 1/18, 18th scale
M18 Hop-Ups, M18 Parts, Mini-LST Hop-Ups, Mini-LST Parts, Kyosho, Atomic, 3Racing, Country Alloy Works, Castle Creations, Trinity, Intellect, United RC, Battery Packs, 2/3A

Go Back   YourMicro.com Forums > Duratrax Vendetta > Duratrax Vendetta Discussion

Old 09-10-2008, 12:01 AM

Send a message via AIM to jaejw1
vendetta owners.. the wait is over. finally steel ball diff gears..

a lil history about myself.. since july of 06 i have fell in love with the vendetta.. the buggy was just awesome.. i ran the buggy briefly with the stock motor and saw how smooth it was .. and then i graduated to the brushless motors.. after many tests i found the motor i like the most ,, the permax 400/4d,, but my love for this motor came with a price.. eventhough i was able to race amongst the 10th scalers.. jump as high , if not higher, and travel faster than them on the straights.. my diffs suffered from this..

a set of diffs would cost me 2.69 for the ring gear and 4.49 for the input gear (2.25 each).. every time i went to the track to practice i had to make sure i had plenty of diff gears for one complete session.. and that would usually be about 2 or 3 sets.. depending on the layout... i even went as far as tightening the rear diffs to act like a slipper.. but even that didnt work.. i asked and asked around for steel diffs to be made,, and no one heard my cries.. it was noticable mostly at the outdoor track,, pegasus hobbies.. with their high flying doubles and triples.. and sometimes quads.. finally something has been done..

my first tests were with just the steel input gear... using the permax 400/4d,, i went about 16 runs none stop and everything seemed fine.. the plastic ring gear looked almost new. and the steel input gear had just a lil wear on them.. a shiny spot... i was very pleased.. cause this motor at this time would have cost me atleast 25 bux,, not including the time to replace the diff gears.. i usually got about 2-3 runs out of the permax.. sometimes only one.. like i said depending on the layout of the track and if i was trying to take the big jumps...

ENTER THE NEU... holy crap.. this thing is a monster. after my first run with it at ocrcraceway i destroyed 2 diff ring gears within 3 hours costing me about 5 bux.. but the neu motor had every bit of power that i needed... when the permax kept me asking for more.. the neu was giving it to me at whatever gearing i was using.. i spent a few hours there.. and again.. the neu motor would power its way to stripping the ring gear...

now i knew this all along.. and this is why i never did a test of the neu with the plastic gears.. i probably wouldnt see a complete run out of it.. i had to keep the rears really loose.. and as you can hear in my latest video the rear diffs are barking...

COMPLETE STEEL SET UP.. good god and a quarter (something my mom says),, i had the diffs loose initially.. not knowing how well or loud they would perform. after the first run i knew i needed to tighten the diffs.... so i tightened them the way i like them to be.. i have about 5 runs at ocrcraceway and about 6 runs at pegasus hobbies..the first 5 runs went very well.. no noise.. no nothing... just pure excitement.. power.. speed.. and most important.. no freakin worries about my diffs stripping... i was doing all kinds of stuff.. i was able to clear jumps starting on the ramp itself.. it was insane..

today 090908.. at approxmately 1200 hours.. i went to pegasus hobbies.. there they have a large triple to a small triple to a large double and then another large double... the dirt is HARD.. i purposely tried to overshoot the jumps.. too allow for hard landings.. on power and off power.. the triple had a 5 foot run up.. the motor assisted with the steel diffs cleared it each and every time.. no sweat.. and as for the other jumps.. i had peace of mine knowing that i can play all day long without changing diff gears..

in other words,, my testing at pegasus was about as extreme as i could go with the diffs and the motor.. i am pleased.. and i give this hop up 2 thumbs and 2 big toes up... about time someone made a steel diff.. and put it this way.. today alone i saved atleast.. 30 bux.. cause i know that without the steel diffs i probably would not have been able to complete a full 8-10 minute run maybe half that.... so if you really look at it.. it was probably more like 60 bux..

this test is to show the extreme side of testing.. there was no babying done in this test.. the purpose of this test was to destroy the steel gears.. but to see how long it would take... and if the diffs can survive this type of testing.. it can survive anything that any sane person would want to put it through themseles
Old 09-11-2008, 11:22 PM

here are pics of the gears as they lay in my detta.. http://s185.photobucket.com/albums/x...steel%20diffs/

this is the lube i have put on the gears.. i figured if its good enough for bearings,, then it should be good enough for the gears... all i wanted was a film of lube on the teeth to reduce friction and add life.. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXUE66&P=7
Old 09-12-2008, 02:52 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alfred Send a message via MSN to alfred Send a message via Yahoo to alfred
Nice shots man......it does look like they will hold up to a lot of abuse. How long have you had the diffs in there......months, days if you can say.
Spektrumized
Old 09-12-2008, 08:14 AM

only put about 10 runs through them,,,, 10 veryhard brutal runs
Old 09-12-2008, 10:34 AM

its called research and development.... one must know the failing point of a givenitem before sellingit as good...

if tests were never done.... crash test dummies,,, then we would all be dead...
Old 09-13-2008, 11:46 AM

well im sure they did,,, but I havent seen any published data,,, so I did my own ,, based on my needs ... and im sharing it with others,,,,
Old 09-15-2008, 01:02 PM

trust me when i say this... the neu motor is very powerful... and i know for a fact that the plastic ball diff gears would last maybe half a run from each pack,,, so even if i only get 30 very hard runs out of it.. i would have saved myself 150bux on gears... so the things pays for itself after 3 battery packs..

now for someone with a milder motor. the thing will last and last and last..

gonna taKE it to the track again tomorrow.. and spend some time on it... they apparently sprayed laundry detergent on the dirt to soften it... cant wait... TRACTION..