YourMicro.com - HPI Micro RS4, Losi Mini-T, XRay M18, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, M18, M18T, RC18T, Mini-LST, Mini-T, Micro RS4, XRay, 1/18, 18th scale
M18 Hop-Ups, M18 Parts, Mini-LST Hop-Ups, Mini-LST Parts, Kyosho, Atomic, 3Racing, Country Alloy Works, Castle Creations, Trinity, Intellect, United RC, Battery Packs, 2/3A
Old 10-16-2007, 10:23 PM

Orion baja vs HS motor?

i have a few questions i guess. essentially my goals are pretty simple. i really dont wanna get into a lipo setup but brushless sounds great. but doesnt seem worth it without lipo...is that accurate?

my two main questions are should i just settle for the orion baja? i currently have a high speed megatech installed. its not bad. but want more...how do the two compare? is it going to be a minute difference and a waste of 40 bucks since i already have the HS?

next, so i accidentilly fell into a free HS motor in the wrapping to accompany the other HS i have. i know they just set up a pair of the torque motors and a new battery tiedown and mount...what if i set it up to run dual high speeds instead? is that going to over tax the esc? can it handle two of em? has anyone done it? does the weight outweigh the benefit of the additional motor?

lastly, what if i ran a high torque to spool it up on one side and a high speed on the other side for top end pull? any chance i might kill off one of the motors as theyre power bands arent matched up correctly? or will it just work?

if your not first your last....and my pro pulse wants to go fast.

and will a new spur free up alot more speed? i dont wanna lose a tone of torque but is it worth it to switch it out? whats a good baby step to up my top end without killing it for racing around?
Old 10-16-2007, 10:25 PM

any other mods you guys might reccomend to get more power and more speed? within a reasonable price range (haha not a mamba kit)

oh and did anyone notice megatech put up a brushless pro pulse set up on their parts page on the web site as "coming soon"?
Old 10-17-2007, 12:34 AM

Send a message via AIM to Erock 808
Quote:
Originally Posted by skawty View Post
i have a few questions i guess. essentially my goals are pretty simple. i really dont wanna get into a lipo setup but brushless sounds great. but doesnt seem worth it without lipo...is that accurate?
Brushless is the way to go man! Even if you don't use a Li-Po battery, it'll drive like a rocket! Trust me, I've done it. Just out of curiosity, I invested into a Li-Po. Now it's just uncontrollable.

Quote:
next, so i accidentilly fell into a free HS motor in the wrapping to accompany the other HS i have. i know they just set up a pair of the torque motors and a new battery tiedown and mount...what if i set it up to run dual high speeds instead? is that going to over tax the esc? can it handle two of em? has anyone done it? does the weight outweigh the benefit of the additional motor?
The esc will be able to handle two high speed motors, but do you have the motor mount for the additional motor??? That's the *big* factor involved when you purchase the dual-motor kit. So if you did not purchase that kit, you're still "s.o.l." with the free high speed motor!

Quote:
...what if i ran a high torque to spool it up on one side and a high speed on the other side for top end pull? any chance i might kill off one of the motors as theyre power bands arent matched up correctly? or will it just work?
Your high torque motor will hold back the high speed motor, eventually frying it up!

Quote:
and will a new spur free up alot more speed? i dont wanna lose a tone of torque but is it worth it to switch it out? whats a good baby step to up my top end without killing it for racing around?
*If* you've got the dual-motor upgrade kit, then a new spur would definitely free up a lot more speed without the worry of losing torque.

Overall, my recommendation to you would be to invest in a Mamba setup!!! Again, the brushless motor will fly like crazy even without a Li-Po battery! I know that Megatech is coming out with "their" brushless setup, but the esc that comes with the Mamba is programable on your computer, and they're very popular for a reason.

Check out one of my projects that I did - Project:T100(R) for an example of what you can do. Here's the link: http://www.yourmicro.com/forums/show...t=19876&page=3

Good luck, and welcome aboard!

Aloha!
Old 10-17-2007, 04:49 PM

ya know. i guess ill just save up for the mamba if the orion isnt gonna be a big improvement on the HS motor. as for the dual HS motor theory....anyone do it before? positive results? how many amps does the hs motor pull? the esc can take on 80 total right?

is the HS motor worthwile? does it free up alot of power with a better battery? what battery do you guys reccomend? just another radio shack PP battery? or does another company make something better for similar price? i dont need lipo or anything...
Old 10-17-2007, 05:04 PM

Send a message via AIM to Erock 808
If you don't want to make the big jump to a brushless system, then some very good brushed motors are the Reedy Mini-MODs. Here's a link to the site.
http://www.rc10.com/reedy/new/minis.htm

Some of the benefits of a brushed motor (vs. the HS motor) are as follows:

-Rebuildable (don't have to replace the whole motor)
-Adjustable timing (various speeds)
-Replaceable brushes, springs (tuning of your motor for speed or torque)

While there, you can also click on the link for the recommended gearing as well.

I hope that this information is useful to you!

Aloha!
Old 10-18-2007, 07:11 PM

well, its not a price issue for the brushless so much since the 1:18's are actually not insane for a brushless setup. i was kinda lookin toward like the comp x package. would that be appropriate? i mean ive kinda been playin with nitro for like 6 months now. and have literally replaced rebuilt or torn down everything on it other then opening the tranny. im fine working on them. but ive never done much in electric so this is all new to me.

how hard is it to program and use the mamba's? if a guy doesnt know anything about timing or brushes springs amps etc. just knows how to tune a carb? haha sorry, im new

aloha
Old 10-18-2007, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alfred Send a message via MSN to alfred Send a message via Yahoo to alfred
Well you can always use the link to fine tune the mamba and adjust the setting as well.....with the link you can hook up the esc via link to your laptop or desktop.......and trying to program the esc by following the instructions can be tedious and sometime frustrating.
Spektrumized