YourMicro.com - HPI Micro RS4, Losi Mini-T, XRay M18, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, M18, M18T, RC18T, Mini-LST, Mini-T, Micro RS4, XRay, 1/18, 18th scale
M18 Hop-Ups, M18 Parts, Mini-LST Hop-Ups, Mini-LST Parts, Kyosho, Atomic, 3Racing, Country Alloy Works, Castle Creations, Trinity, Intellect, United RC, Battery Packs, 2/3A
Old 08-19-2007, 10:22 AM

Gravel/Pebble Sheild

I had issues with small pebbles getting lodged in the spur gear the first time I took the truck out bashing. (The AE RC18T is also notorious for this issue) Decided I would do a take-off on Kyosho's Slipper Clutch/Central Diff clear plastic sheild and make one for the T100...

Here's how I made it, using my RC18T as the example to show that it can work for nearly any pan style chassis.

I am sure most of you have some sort of packaging laying about that looks similar to this...

What is needed from it is just the cover.

Hold the cover over the chassis as shown below looking from above, mark out your cut lines for the sheild..

Cut the piece out..

This is what you should now have..

Trim off the bottom as necessary, how much depends on the type of packaging you are using.

Take the sheild and again place it over the area to be covered. Some custom trimming needs to be marked out to clear the chassis around the spur box and rear diff..

Ending up with something like this..

Do another fitment check to make sure no part of the sheild will interfere with the a-arms and/or clear electronics.

Once you have it trimmed up as you want it, position the sheild as it needs to be and mark where you will put the mounting screw..

And there you have it. You can also make one for both sides as I did for the T100.

cheers

Last edited by BloodyBastard; 08-25-2007 at 10:26 AM.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:42 PM

Good idea.

Job well done.

My RC toys;

Pro-Pulse Buggy
Pro-Pulse Buggy - HS Motor, Team Losi truck body, titanium turnbuckles & tie rods, slicks.
Pro-Pulse Truck
CX2 Helicopter

Wish List - Boat
Old 08-19-2007, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alfred Send a message via MSN to alfred Send a message via Yahoo to alfred
nice mod.....how were you able to get the lexan to stay in its place.
Spektrumized
Old 08-19-2007, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfred View Post
nice mod.....how were you able to get the lexan to stay in its place.
Look closely at the first pic of the ProPulse chassis and also note the last caption and pic of the tutorial where I mention the 'mounting screw'.

I could have expanded more by mentioning that you will need to drill a hole in the chassis pan for the screw.

Reason for screw mount:
Tape is too messy and can fail in flight.
Velcro is too thick and will move the sheild out to where it could interfere with the tires/a-arms.

cheers
Old 08-19-2007, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alfred Send a message via MSN to alfred Send a message via Yahoo to alfred
opppssss sorry i was looking at the pics, and glancing at the posts.......nice job man.
Spektrumized
Old 08-19-2007, 04:56 PM

Are you going to the same thing on the other side to protect the main gear, and what about the slot in the bottom of the chassis for the gear?
Old 08-19-2007, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BilboBaggins View Post
Are you going to the same thing on the other side to protect the main gear, and what about the slot in the bottom of the chassis for the gear?
For the T100, I have made a shroud that covers both sides. In the very first pic above you should be able to see the other side. Which is actually shorter than the motor side because it makes it easier to remove the batts.
As for the slot on the underside, I purposely haven't done anything to it to see if it caused a problem. I have had no problem to date leaving that slot uncovered. The issue seems to be topside with loose pebbles find their way to the spot where the pinion and spur gears mesh.

cheers
Old 08-19-2007, 05:44 PM

Have you had any overheating problems with the cover over the motor? I know there is a opening on the bottom for the motor but I'm thinking the plastic over the motor could cause the heat to build up there between the motor and the plastic.
Old 08-19-2007, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BilboBaggins View Post
Have you had any overheating problems with the cover over the motor? I know there is a opening on the bottom for the motor but I'm thinking the plastic over the motor could cause the heat to build up there between the motor and the plastic.
I haven't had any problems with heat. I had some concern initially when thinking out the design, but since the opening is facing forward it is acting as a scoop. I theorized that fresh air is being forced into the cavity by virtue of forward motion. If I did encounter a heating issue I planned then to peirce small holes into the back portion of the sheild to allow a 'flow-thru'. But again, I have yet to encounter an issue with heat so I haven't incorporated that mod.
I also have not upgraded the motor (simply because I think it's quite fast enough stock, faster than a stock RC18T). Perhaps a hotter motor may require the flo-thru design.

cheers
Old 08-25-2007, 10:08 AM

Twin Motor / One Peice Version

Made a new sheild for the Twin Motor Upgrade. In the pics you should be able see where I sourced the material, how I cut it, and how I incorporated some vent holes to avoid any possible heat issues since there are now two motors cranking away under there(I did not encounter heat issues with the old sheild). The sheild also only covers half the motor, another feature to ensure that little to no heat could possibly get trapped.

Here's how it came out..

Old 08-25-2007, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator

that should help to keep the small pebbles out of the gears.......nice work man.
Spektrumized