YourMicro.com - HPI Micro RS4, Losi Mini-T, XRay M18, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, M18, M18T, RC18T, Mini-LST, Mini-T, Micro RS4, XRay, 1/18, 18th scale
M18 Hop-Ups, M18 Parts, Mini-LST Hop-Ups, Mini-LST Parts, Kyosho, Atomic, 3Racing, Country Alloy Works, Castle Creations, Trinity, Intellect, United RC, Battery Packs, 2/3A
Old 04-01-2007, 01:42 AM

Tried both the Atomic and Hot Racing, but before you go looking for new shocks what you seem to be saying is that you want stiffer springs. The first thing I would do is run down to Radio Shack and see if they have a Xmods Evo Truck suspension upgrade set on sale, the red springs out of the kit are what you want. Atomic now sells spring sets but the stiffest is still on the soft ("squishy") side. Dampening effects like grease or oil shocks do not make your suspension stiffer they eliminate recoil or bounce.

Atomic (orange)
Pro’s
Comes with grease.
Finer threads for more precise spring compression adjustment.
Larger diameter shaft with narrower head and a tighter/better fit in grease friction tube.
Narrower profile.
Fits available smaller diameter springs, i.e. the stock springs or easy to come by red Xmod truck spring shown in the photo.

Con’s
Does not come with springs.
Higher price.

Hot Racing (blue)
Pro’s
Comes with two sets of springs.
Less Expensive.

Con’s
Does not fit readially available heavier springs, i.e. Xmods truck springs.
Coarse spring compression threads.
Does not come with grease, and likely not intended for it.
Loose narrow diameter shaft.

Results

Appearance, finish, and overall bling factor is about even.

Value also goes to atomic, since with a little shopping around you can find them for under $20 instead of their outrageous manufacture suggested retail price.

Function goes to Atomic, but it should be noted that the stock shocks modified with the right size O-ring or piece of wire insulation and grease, the right springs, and a compression spacer, if needed, will yield indistinguishable results for a fraction of the price.

Feelings
Since I’ve used Hot Racings shocks in larger cars I felt let down and even a little cheated by these, especially when I consider the fake piggy back’s they are also offering. Even though they where quick to come out with aftermarket parts it seems that performance is not one of their primary concerns. I applaud the fact that the HR shocks comes with two sets of springs but unfortunately the stiffer of the two (blue) are roughly even with the stock springs, the lighter red pair are way to soft, and to make it worse the diameter of the shock is such that neither the stock or popular Xmod truck springs will fit. And although the shocks will work with grease they do not appear to have been made with it in mind, the shaft is very loose and aside from the spring adjustment nut are nearly identical to the stock shocks in terms of function. I have no doubt that I’ll be able to modify them just like a set of stock springs but the fact remains that I shouldn’t have to, my overall feeling is that performance was not one of Hot Racings priorities.

Compared to the Atomic shocks that even through they do not come with springs are at least narrow enough to fit the available heavier and/or lighter Xmod truck spring options as well as the stock springs. The snug fitting shaft and piston hole where clearly made to work with the provided grease so that if not “Oil” shocks as advertised they at least are a well made set of grease shocks.

I guess it makes since if you think about it, Hot Racing at this early stage probably has trouble envisioning the Micro-T as anything other than a cute little toy in need of hop-ups to make it “look like” it’s grown up brothers. Atomic on the other hand with their involvement in 1/28 scale Mini-Z racing has a large customer base already racing similar size cars who would expect, if not demand, parts geared toward improving performance not just looks.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:48 PM

I have the Hot Racing oil filled dampers. One of them leaks and I couldn't fix it. Waste of money....
Old 11-04-2010, 02:46 AM

Re:

We have to conscious about this in whole concern

Does not fit readially available heavier springs, i.e. Xmods truck springs.
Coarse spring compression threads.
Does not come with grease, and likely not intended for it.
Loose narrow diameter shaft.