YourMicro.com - HPI Micro RS4, Losi Mini-T, XRay M18, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, M18, M18T, RC18T, Mini-LST, Mini-T, Micro RS4, XRay, 1/18, 18th scale
M18 Hop-Ups, M18 Parts, Mini-LST Hop-Ups, Mini-LST Parts, Kyosho, Atomic, 3Racing, Country Alloy Works, Castle Creations, Trinity, Intellect, United RC, Battery Packs, 2/3A
Old 01-08-2006, 08:05 AM

Oh and I got a stock MLST pinion onto my Hacker shaft. The issue was that the Hacker has a 2.5mm shaft and the stock motors use a 2mm shaft. A small file and slow progress should hopefully pay off with a 24 pinion to run.

The only other one I had that fit was 16 which is good for wheelies. But, I wnated to be able to unleash a little more up top.

I'll look onto another size ot two.
Old 01-26-2006, 02:02 PM

Thru all of my *ahem* "commotion" , I got this vey nice Country Alloy Works extended Mini LST chassis in the mail . It will accept the bigger Hitec 81 sized servos, comes with a set of beautifull bumpers as well as a set of their (almost) famous extended axel kit.

I removed the necassary parts, but things like the front and rear suspension components stayed intact. The front and rear diff/suspension assembly can stay together after removing the screws that hold it in place from the top and bottom chassis plates. Basically, the main chassis, skid plates and bumper assembly needs to be taken off for the new pieces to go on.

The ladder bars are sweet. They "feel" light and sturdy. They are held onto the truck thru 8 mounting locations, 4 each top and bottom. Screw them down to the main chassis first, and only 3/4 tight. Attach the ladder bars to the skid plates another 3/4 tight, and then finish tightening down the screws all of the way in a good squence. This is to minimize any chance of them being installed crooked or "tweeked". You will need to use lock tight on all of these chassis pieces.

You can attach the skids at this point, but they will need to be removed for the servo installation. Well, just the front skid which is longer due the to the added length. This is also where the longer, supplied dogbone goes into.

I have most of the other parts attached, just the electronics are missing. I am working on the servos and deciding on what type of saver to use. The metal rod or "slider" holding the 2 servo arms together, may not return.

I am also rearranging the electronics layout. Hopefully, the top battery tray will no longer be needed. In my origanal plans, I had the speedo mounted under the chassis. Clearence was tight, but enough room was available. With the coverage from the preeetty CAW skid plates increased over stock, I now have less worries about something happening to the speedo.

I wil get some pix posted at a little later date. Too much work

Old 01-26-2006, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alfred Send a message via MSN to alfred Send a message via Yahoo to alfred
Cool man....i see you have a full platter man...cant wait to see some pics of this beautiful machine.
Spektrumized
Old 01-26-2006, 08:13 PM
Micro Novice

Thumbs up

Heh,
Lots of work for sure! But hey, you'll have one heck of a MSLT to show for it, and it will run like a dream with the mods you mentioned. I can't wait to see some pics either!

Jas
Old 01-26-2006, 08:51 PM
96744 Micro's

Sounds Good Big!

Look forward to seeing it in person!

This thing is going to look KILLAHZ!!!
Old 01-27-2006, 05:49 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alfred Send a message via MSN to alfred Send a message via Yahoo to alfred
I wish you two would drag against one another.....lol...now that would be nice to see...
Spektrumized
Old 02-07-2006, 03:51 PM

Back when our trucks were "relativly stock ", we kinda dragged to see how our 2 cells stacked up. Not completely advisable in the pitch blackness of the night though

I've got my CAW chassis finally mocked up. Well, everything is actually put together. It just needs some test runs to shake down any possible bugs. But, the new Hitec 85MG servo's and Kimbrough savers seem to be working well.

The extended chassis is a nice piece of work. Everything fits well and evrything that I needed for a trouble free install was present. The front and rear bumper is NICE, and this is an understatement.There is a small, metal washer that CAW supplies to go between their bumper, and the stock plastic brace that is re-used. The plastic brace should help take any "shock" that will get transfered to the truck from impacts front or rear.

The ladder bars (and chassis as whole) are pretty light and strong. All of the necassary parts were straight and are sturdy.

The extended axels also seem similarly well made. I'll have some HPI mesh 2.2" rims glued to Panther treads.

I didn't need to dremel out that much to get the Hitec 85MG servos to fit. After securing it to the chassis, I installed a pair of kimbrough savers on them. Those went on without any fuss. I even got the stock link between the 2 servos to work without and modifing. That was a nice plus, so i'll run with it. I actuallu used ball links to mount the steering 'buckles to the saver for their lowrr profile, but clearence to the surrounding parts is adaquet.

One thing I alomost forgot to check was the suspension travel. It's something not necassarily thought of for a chasis swap, but it was an issue for the saver set-up. I ended up mounting the Kimbrough saver facing foreword, with the ball link attached to it facing up. That elimanated any chances of the suspension binding due to a servo saver issue. Now I can push the truck down as far as she will go, and nothing binds.

I have some pix i'll try and get up tonight.
Old 02-07-2006, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

Well its about time you got the chassis installed......cool man cant wait to see the pics.
Spektrumized
Old 02-10-2006, 02:58 AM

Here we go again . I've got a few wheel options mounted up to my MLST.

The top left has a 2.2" HPI rim with Panther Komodo Dragon tread.
Bottom left holds the stock set-up.

Top right is the 2.2" buggy rim and Pro-Line Hoile Shot tires. These are standerd issue for the B4.

Lastly on the bottom right are the HPI Super Nitro rim and 2.2" buggy Pro-Line Step Pin tread.

One small note is the standered Pro-Line Hole Shot buggy tire (like for the B4) is coming in at 1.70", while the Pro-Line Step Pin tread I have mounted are a little narrower at 1.65".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc03912.jpg (88.1 KB, 18 views)
Old 02-10-2006, 03:04 AM

Super Nitro rim and Step Pin tires
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc03926.jpg (80.9 KB, 13 views)
Old 02-10-2006, 03:05 AM

AE buggy 2.2" rim and Hole Shot tires
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc03927.jpg (72.1 KB, 14 views)
Old 02-10-2006, 03:09 AM

And then the 2.2" truck rim with 10th scale truck Panther Komodo Dragon tires.

This is likely what i'll run for most off-roading bash sessions. I've got some Pro-Line Steert Hawgs mounted onto another set of 2.2" truck rims for on-road duties.

I like the stance and tire options available with this size. Their biggest detractors are the extra height and weight as compared to the buggy set-up.

Which do you think I should stick with? I'll get some testing in on the chassis and tires selction after a little more work is done for installation
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc03929.jpg (77.7 KB, 15 views)
Old 02-10-2006, 07:14 AM
Micro Master

Send a message via AIM to quietfly
The biggest issues with 2.2's is they make the trucks very tipsy. I like the look of the AE 2.2's with the hole shot tires. you should really choose based on performance.

Let us know how they run!!!!

-Chris
Old 02-10-2006, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator

I really dig the Komodo Dragon tires......
Spektrumized
Old 02-11-2006, 02:01 AM
96744 Micro's

Looking good big!

And looks even better in person! It's got me wanting a CAW extended chassis now!hehehe

I like the buggy wheels/tires! Although that is just my opinion, and the fact I like the race look and stance it gives to the stretched MLST!!!

I think the 2.2" MT wheels and Komodo Dragons should work really well for an off road basher setup especially on grass.

The SN wheels and step pins as well as the B4 wheels and holeshots will be good on the track, hard packed dirt and short grass.

We will just have to find some time to do some testing!!!