YourMicro.com - HPI Micro RS4, Losi Mini-T, XRay M18, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, M18, M18T, RC18T, Mini-LST, Mini-T, Micro RS4, XRay, 1/18, 18th scale
M18 Hop-Ups, M18 Parts, Mini-LST Hop-Ups, Mini-LST Parts, Kyosho, Atomic, 3Racing, Country Alloy Works, Castle Creations, Trinity, Intellect, United RC, Battery Packs, 2/3A
Old 02-05-2009, 02:13 PM

RC18T in Iraq

So here is the story...I am a contractor in Iraq supporting our troops. As some of you can imagine you get bored easily out here. Anyways a guy I work with walks into work one day with an off the wall brand 1/10th scale buggy. This thing looked just one notch above something from Wal-mart. So right from the start I start talking @#$%. This guy has never owned an RC car and neither have I except for my short lived t-maxx. Well now I have to get something to mess with him so I ordered an rc18t rtr. Onces I spilled the beans that I ordered something that might beat his car he turns around and orders a 1/10th scale nitro something. He wouldnt tell me what it was only that he spent over $400 for it. I couldnt let this go unanswered so after little research I ordered a side winder 8000kv kit. We are both still waiting on parts to come in because of the slow mail over here. I think that we have both stepped out of our league on this one but what the heck we just want to have a little fun.

Here is what I have ordered. Is there anything else that you guys think that I would need? Thanks guys I kinda wish I would have ordered the factory team insted..o well

RC18Trtr
sidewinder 8000kv
2 7-cell Intellect packs
CVDs
Alloy diff tubes
integy heatsink/mount
diff shims
sper gear cover
Old 02-06-2009, 10:42 AM

Just wanted to update with a picture of what I have so far because everyone loves pictures. I am still waiting on the towerhobbies peak charger, deans connectors, and the 18t. How would you guys recommend charging these batteries?

Old 02-06-2009, 05:04 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alfred Send a message via MSN to alfred Send a message via Yahoo to alfred
So far its looking good.....but with that setup you should order some spares like spur gears and input gears as well.......as these will wear out faster then the rest of your ride.
Spektrumized
Old 02-07-2009, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RERacing View Post
Sorry to burst your bubble, but in addition to the 7-cell battery packs not fitting...
... that even with a 6-cell pack you have gotten in over your head power wise (like giving a kid just out of drivers ed a ferarri).

Who talked you into the aluminum outdrives?
Are you aware that except on flat surfaces like parking lots that a 1/18th is going to have a hard time keeping up with a larger scale vehicle that's better able to handle bumps, ruts, and jumps?
Yeah I figured I may have to reconfigure the 7-cell to get it to fit. I read somewhere that the plastic outdrives would wear out easily so I thought that the alloy ones may be better. Are they bad or something? I also thought about the fact that the 1/10th scale would be better than the 18t in the dirt but like I said before its all in fun. We are just killing time. I am going to run it stock for a little while before I put everything on it.
Old 02-07-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Yeah, not really sure why you got the 7-cell (which will take some serious "reconfiguring" to make it fit, if you're lucky). Plastic outdrives wear, sure, but they're cheap to replace. I usually get a year of serious racing before needing to. Alloy outdrives wear too, and they are not cheap to replace. It's really a useless/pointless mod.
There is nothing hard about moving the 7th battery and resoldering it into the pack. Where there's a will there's a way man. I think thats what makes these kind of things fun. The cost of alloy outdrives are not that much more. Maybe $5-$7 more a set. I could see if it was something like alloy control arms that bend every time you hit something and would have to replace them when that happened.

This guy fit 7 cells
http://www.e-maxximumrc.com/html/rc18t.html
Old 02-07-2009, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alfred Send a message via MSN to alfred Send a message via Yahoo to alfred
Well i really dont think that they will ship lipos to where he's at.........when i was in the army we were only allowed a list of things that we were able to bring. Your settup is looking really good man, please post a pic when you get it all together.
Spektrumized
Old 02-08-2009, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfred View Post
Well i really dont think that they will ship lipos to where he's at.........when i was in the army we were only allowed a list of things that we were able to bring. Your settup is looking really good man, please post a pic when you get it all together.
Im not sure about getting lipos shipped. The other guy said that a hobby store is shipping him nitro so who knows. Things have changed a lot over here since the first time I was here in 03 with the Army.

I should have the rest of the stuff this week. I will post pics then.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator

I was there in 93 and 94 and there was a lot of things that a soldier could not bring. Cool cant wait to see pics of your ride when you get all the parts installed.
Spektrumized
Old 02-09-2009, 02:18 AM

Send a message via ICQ to BLiND
that 7 cell pack should fit fine, might need to take the cap off the top and reconfigure how the wiring exits, but I've ran 7 cells in my rc18t for a long time with no issues or mods.

I run IB1400's with a mamba 8k combo in my factory team rc18t and it's just stupid fast, so be careful, I haven't broken anything but I only raced dirt oval with it a handful of times.

I would charge them at 2.5-3 amps, and never leave them to sit when discharged, always charge them back up when you're done.

-Intellect 1400mAH packs starting at $16!
Old 02-16-2009, 11:14 AM

So I have been running her for a few days stock and this thing is a blast. Its tough too. I did break a shock the second day but I JB welded it for now until I get the new coilovers in. I also need to get a new radio antenna shaft. Are the metal ones a good idea? The Shop I work in is great for running it around. Its about the size of a highschool gym with a concrete floor. Outside is only ok. There is a lot of gravel and rock and it beats the heck out of the car. 1/10 scale would be better for outside(maybe next pay check)...I installed the new BL motor this morning and fell in love with it all over again. Man it is quick and fun with a little trigger disipline. Because there is dust every where out here the shop has a thin coat of dust on the floor making it like driving on ice. There is one thing that I dont know if I sould be worried about or not. At wide open throttle there is a high pitch humming noise like loose gears maybe but I couldnt find anything wrong. Anyway on with some pictures. Please keep in mind that I am limited on materials that I have to work with so things are not perfect right now.

As you can see I had to use ghetto butt connectors for now because a certain hobby shop forgot to box them with the charger. This is how I reconfigured the batteries and I must say it worked out well. I get good run time out of them too. What should I be charging them at? Right now I have been doing 2.0A, 1400mah, 10mV. It seems fine

The 7 cell would have fit in there like it was when I got it be because I have that spur gear cover on there it wouldnt fit.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:40 AM

I thought that this color would be perfect for where I am at. Not the best paint job but like I said I dont have much to work with. Its just the stock red body painted over. You can see the red wearing thru from where I have rolled it.

Took this picture out behind my shop today. Just thought I would add it for the hell of it.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:42 PM
Super Moderator

Its okay to charge those cells at 2amps and remember its .5mv per cell so on the charger for the mv's you will need to set them at 35mv's........
Spektrumized
Old 02-17-2009, 02:40 AM

Thanks for the info guys. I was running it today and it seemed very twitchy and wanted to run away on me if I got it 25ft or more away. I took it inside the shop and it seemed better. I think there might be some interference or something outside. There are towers and antennas all over the base. Would switching crystals help you think?

Are the rc18MT tires bigger? I was thinking about getting them so that it would do a little better in the gravel.

Last edited by theguy1084; 02-17-2009 at 02:44 AM.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:
While it can be aggrevating, considering your situation, it's pretty much a known fact that running an RC car with a low-power radio system in an area bombarded by radio and microwave traffic is going to be problematic at best. Switching crystals, unless you have damaged one (which I doubt), will do little or nothing to rectify it. It "could" be that it's the less-than-stellar stock radio gear, and that switching to a higher quality 2.4gHz set would alleviate the problem, but maybe not.

The RC18MT tires are a little but taller than the ones on the 18T, but not much, so I don't know that it would make all that much difference - but primarily your problem is the fact that you're running an 18th scale vehicle that (as I mentioned before) isn't really suited to running in the great outdoors.

At first I thought that I may have damaged something but I think it is all the towers and stuff set up. I am going to look into a 2.4gHz set up.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:57 AM

So just an update... I got the 2.4gHz futaba and it made all the difference in the world. There is no interference issues at all anymore. I also got MT tires and they some what help. The single best improvement that I think I made so far was replacing the plastic servo saver with a metal one. Its like night and day on how it turns. The guys a Thetoyz must love me because I have ordered a lot of stuff over the weeks