YourMicro.com - HPI Micro RS4, Losi Mini-T, XRay M18, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, M18, M18T, RC18T, Mini-LST, Mini-T, Micro RS4, XRay, 1/18, 18th scale
M18 Hop-Ups, M18 Parts, Mini-LST Hop-Ups, Mini-LST Parts, Kyosho, Atomic, 3Racing, Country Alloy Works, Castle Creations, Trinity, Intellect, United RC, Battery Packs, 2/3A
Old 12-06-2008, 02:54 PM

Team Orion Elite Mod

So, I finally got my RS4, what motor size is the Team Orion Elite Mod and what do you guys think of it? Does it work with the Novak Spy ESC?
Old 12-06-2008, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alfred Send a message via MSN to alfred Send a message via Yahoo to alfred
Its a 180 motor and its faster then the stock motor. And yes the esc will handle it.
Spektrumized
Old 12-07-2008, 02:03 AM

So i guess no good compare to the Big Block? What's a good motor upgrade (and cheap)? And most likely I'll need to change the ESC too ?
Old 12-07-2008, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alfred Send a message via MSN to alfred Send a message via Yahoo to alfred
A good upgrade is to get a 300 size motor and 6cells......this setup will get you up too speed.....but of course you will need to find a 300 size motor mount. What setup are you running with that motor now, etc 5 or 6 cells, whats the pinion tooth thats on the motor now.
Spektrumized
Old 12-07-2008, 12:59 PM

I'm planning to run 6 cells... pinion not sure yet, having pull the pinion off yet but it looks like I have choices of 10-13T in the box of parts I got.

Mainly trying to rebuild and redo all the stuff the previous owner did. Not too fond with them gluing the batteries onto the chassis....

But I do have a new in package 300 motor mount.... so I would need to find a 300 motor? Would that work with the Spy?
Old 12-07-2008, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator

I know a lot of members that used the spy would burn it up when using a 300 size motor, but for me i have burned one up and bought another and it worked fine with that setup. The newer version will handle 300 size motors with no problems at all.
Spektrumized
Old 12-07-2008, 01:10 PM

how woudl u know which one is the new version?
Old 12-07-2008, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator

Now that could be a problem since i take it you dont have the packaging, your best bet would be to contact the person you bought your ride from.
Spektrumized
Old 12-07-2008, 08:33 PM

what does the new version say on it or what should I look for?
Maybe I should just use my 1/10 ESC?
Old 12-07-2008, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator

It would just say on the packaging of the box......the esc still looked the same though, so there's no way of telling just by looking at it. Sorry bud.
Spektrumized
Old 12-07-2008, 08:47 PM

hmmm.. might be kind of hard to find out....
I should ask Team Novak if they have a way that I can check.

Which 300 size motor you suggest that is cheap and fast?

How do you install the 6 cells 2/3A? I don't have any mounting hardware and trying to figure out how to mount these baby tight. I got two carbon chassis, and one is the Exotek 1 (has slots for the cells which I can probably used tape), and I have a full carbon but no slots for cells so this is giving me a tougher tight mounting the batteries.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:22 PM
Super Moderator

If you can please post a pic of your ride, and as for the motor i would just go with a Speed 300 motor. Click on the link, if you do a search you may just find it cheaper.

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~jmend...otorsmain1.htm
Spektrumized
Old 12-07-2008, 10:34 PM

Send a message via MSN to Nerve
Well if you are having issues finding an esc to use, as you probably know I have been using the Futaba MC230cr and it has given me 100% zero issues running 6 cells. I also have the motor soldered directly to the esc. Check my old micro build thread if you haven't btw...heh.

The user "homer" of the Homermade r/c bodies fame actually suggested my setup to me and I went along with it.

(btw is he even still making bodies.??)

As for how to mount the batteries, since i'm running the Penquin LM chassis, there are screw-in battery plates that the chassis uses and I simply "shoe goo" the battery cells right to that plate. When I need to change batteries, 4 screws and the battery is out.

http://www.penguinrc.com/products/hpi/p3500lm.html

Have you posted some photos of your micro stuff that you have? I would be interested to see the two chassis you have.

Oh and as for calling up Novak, all it takes is a phone call and ask.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:47 PM
Super Moderator

I would shoo goo the batts to the top plate to keep them from coming out in a crash.........and as for the esc check out the micro market as i have one for trade.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg epic9.jpg (93.4 KB, 17 views)
Spektrumized
Old 12-08-2008, 06:50 AM

Found out from the previous owner it was the original Spy so I guess not 300 motor with it. Most likely I'll reused a my old 1/10 ESC if I do end up getting a 300 motor, I think it is slightly bigger than Futaba MC230cr.

I'll be posting pics of the MRS4 some time this week. Some how I really need to figure out the battery mounting issue... don't plan to glue any of hte batteries to the car (which the previous owner did) because it would force me to use one pack of battery only. Thinking of using strapping tape like what I've seen in 1/10 but I need to make sure it won't slide around. Or I need make something cool to hold the batteries.