YourMicro.com - HPI Micro RS4, Losi Mini-T, XRay M18, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, M18, M18T, RC18T, Mini-LST, Mini-T, Micro RS4, XRay, 1/18, 18th scale
M18 Hop-Ups, M18 Parts, Mini-LST Hop-Ups, Mini-LST Parts, Kyosho, Atomic, 3Racing, Country Alloy Works, Castle Creations, Trinity, Intellect, United RC, Battery Packs, 2/3A
Old 02-20-2007, 02:06 PM
zenkimods

Getting into the 540 scene

Hello! I have a Micro RS4 RTR and I wanted to get into a 540 motor. I actually sold the electronics it originally came with. I am pretty new to the 540 end. I have seen the AKTION RC kit and was thinking of getting the 540r kit. I just wanted to know if you guys could run down the basics.

-What ESC should I get as well as what motor.
-Is the 540r kit good or should I get one of the other kits?
-I have been away from RC for a while and seen the new lipo batteries, but dont know much about them either. Should I stick with regular batteries or the new lipos?
-The car right now is all stock, what upgrades should I get in addition to the 540s kit?

I think thats all for now. If you could help me out I'd be greatful!

Thanks
Old 02-20-2007, 07:34 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alfred Send a message via MSN to alfred Send a message via Yahoo to alfred
-What ESC should I get as well as what motor.
-Is the 540r kit good or should I get one of the other kits?
-I have been away from RC for a while and seen the new lipo batteries, but dont know much about them either. Should I stick with regular batteries or the new lipos?
-The car right now is all stock, what upgrades should I get in addition to the 540s kit?

Now as for the esc you need to get one that will handle the motor you plan on getting. Any of his kits are good and well made, now as for the batts i use Gp 1100's. The parts that you will need to get----

HPI Steel universals or a good set of aluminum's

HPI Aluminum Diff case-if not the two tabs on the stock case will break because of the 540 power.

HPI Rear balldiff or some other brand.
Spektrumized
Old 02-25-2007, 04:16 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to adamc
Hi,

-I have an old Novak Cyclone in one 540 and a Novak XRS in the other, the XRS has a 15 turn limit but the Cyclone doesn't.
"AktionRC faq section mentions the following "1/10th scale type such as MC230CR, GT7, etc." for ESCs"

-As for the motor, AktionRC recommends starting with a stock class motor, from the faq again:
"Q: Is there turn limit for each of the different x3 kits and if so what is it?
A: The Lithium-Polymer 540i has a stock 27T motor limit with standard 24º timing. The Gen2 Micro Hybrid 540 has a 14T limit, and the 4-Cell Sub C 540r has no motor limit. Please be advised that these motor limits are in place for the protection of your batteries and your motor. Do not exceed these limits under any circumstances.
Q: What is the best 540-sized motor that you recommend?
A: Any standard 540-sized motor that has an open endbell with replaceable brushes will fit any of the kits just fine. Old-style stock motors with closed endbells do not fit. "
I have a stock motor in my original 540 and I've clocked it at 80KPH, I love it.

-The cells you use will be determined by the 540 kit you buy, the 540r takes 4 standard Sub C cells (like a 1/10 scale car), the 540s takes 6 4/5 Sub C cells URC just made me a pack for my 540s, the 540i takes certain LiPo's you'll have to check the AtkionRC site to check which packs fit.

-With LiPo's from what I can gather, they're lighter and last significantly longer. The downside is that you'll have to buy a new charger to match, and theres something to do with balancing cells too.

-Apart from the stock kit, AktionRC recommend the following extras:
"Q: What aftermarket hop-ups should I buy to go along with the x3?
A: There are a few items that are required and a few items that are just really nice to have. This is a list of required aftermarket hop-ups:
Rear ball differential (HPI or Team Orion recommended)
Front ball diff or one-way differential
Aluminum, alloy or steel universal joints (dog bones)

Here is a list of really nice parts to have but aren't required for basic operation of the kit:

HPI servo mount and dual-link tie rod set
VCS Micro Shock from Team Associated
Aluminum knuckles (steering blocks)
Antenna mount

Q: Okay, I've got a stock Micro kit, with all the sweet hop-ups listed above, what else will I need to get my x3 running?
A: You will need the following items:
Battery Pack - Lithium-Polymer, 4-cell Sub C, or 6-cell 4/5SC depending on your kit.
Battery charger - Make sure it charges the right type of pack you have.
Radio, receiver and standard ESC (1/10th scale type such as MC230CR, GT7, etc.).
540 Motor - Please abide by the turn limit specified in your kit.
Various 48-pitch pinions ranging from 27T to 30T (smaller pinions are recommended)"

Hope it helps.

Adam