YourMicro.com - HPI Micro RS4, Losi Mini-T, XRay M18, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, M18, M18T, RC18T, Mini-LST, Mini-T, Micro RS4, XRay, 1/18, 18th scale
M18 Hop-Ups, M18 Parts, Mini-LST Hop-Ups, Mini-LST Parts, Kyosho, Atomic, 3Racing, Country Alloy Works, Castle Creations, Trinity, Intellect, United RC, Battery Packs, 2/3A
Old 01-15-2009, 10:37 AM

Send a message via AIM to jaejw1
vendetta brushless motor review .. pros/cons

this is just my take on things.. not the word of god.. just what i have experienced ,,so take it with a grain of salt.. and with the introduction of the new ST im sure many ppl will want to find a good BL motor to put in there..

testing was at socal raceway a dirt track offroad supercross style track for 10th scale electrics

the buggy is sitting on half8th buggy wheels with proline crime fighter tires
the truggy is sitting on half8th ST wheels with the tires that come stock with it.. kyosho,,3racing

MAMBA 8000kv,, first brushless i tried in the detta
pro- vry fast.. would have been great if it were a 400 can
cons- extreme heat from usage
gearing-12/49

WRAITH 7K,, second brushless once the 8000kv died
pro- just as fast as the 8000kv
cons - another extremely hot motor
gearing -12/49 made it hot but 13/49 made it smokin hot

GH4700,, third motor.. perfect fit,, loved the heat sink
pro,- fast motor not as fast as 8000kv but still fast,, cooled down really fast for the buggy
con- hot.. heat issues,, did not like the half8th ST tires on the vendetta ST
gearing- 19/45 good for buggy bad for truggy even 16/45 was bad extreme heat and not fast at all

AON4900,, fourth motor after gh4700 died,, i thought this was the ticket
pro- fast but not what i thought,, i expected great things from this motor.. it was ok.. prfferred the gh4700 over this one.
con- i idnt expect it to get as hot as it did.. and the claims of it being a torque monster , it just didnt like the gearing
gearing-19/45

GH3600,, tried this motor on the on the buggy and it was decent i was shocked ,,,
pro - decent speed for the buggy and more than decent for the truggy
gearing - 19/41 for both the buggy and truggy

AMMO 28-35-3900,,,, best thing sinced sliced bread.. this is the mamba 8000kv for the truggy,,
pro- really fast.. impressed with its speed ,, i use this motor to race with
con- gets a lil warmer than i want.. but not anywhere near the heat of the others up top,, ball diffs are needed

PERMAX 400/4D,,,, this would be the C4 for the buggy and truggy,, this thing continues to impress me
pro-can be geared for whatever track.. stays cooler than any motor i have used ,, this is extremely awesom
con- price,, and i cant get it to heat up,, have to upgrade to ball diffs
gearing -buggy 16/41,,19/45,,1941. truggy 16/41,,19/45(which im scared to try.. dont know what i will break)

EDIT CHANGE AS OF NOW.. 05-07-08,,,,,
MY NEW REFERENCE SYSTEM

NEU 1105/1.5y
19/45 gearing
evo2 1600mah flight power lipo
,,, i cant even describe the feeling.. the power,, the speed..
10th scale street tires with suspension set up for dirt track,,, wheelies on demand.. rlling wheelies.. i have no idea what the top speed is.. the car cant keep up with the tire spin..
im currrently running the neu at 13/45 and it still just amazing.. tons of usable power..
Old 01-15-2009, 06:31 PM

yes,, I tested the mongoose aswell... the 13.5 and the 8.5,,,, and compared to the permax..both systems didntcome close to the same performance level.... and will definately not touch the performance of the NEU...

the mongoose is very smooth and if the motor was bigger (28mm) then maybe it would give the torque needed to affecientlypropelthe vendetta....

from my experience the mongoose in order to keepup with the speeds of the permax,, it will overheat within 3 minutes and shutdown.... and in order for it to be as torque u have to gear it so high that u lose all topend ......

might be a great option on a small track but if a NEU powered vendetta or permax powered vendetta is on the same track and u both are using the same cell battery,, u might wantto reconsider

other than that it is extremely smooth it just lacks the torque and power that im used to getting from other motors
Old 01-16-2009, 01:28 AM

to each his own.. but like i said before.. if your running on small tracks and you dont mind cutting up the chassis and the body.. then for sure the mongoose would be great.. and yes.. it is very smooth...

BUT.. if you feel that you just need a lil more power or more speed then the neu is a great option.. it is also very smooth and has all the power and speed anyone for ANY size track would ever want... its not a system that will limit you to a certain size track,,,

i have talked to another person that runs the nue motor,, and he loves the power and performance that it offfers,, and he races against mongoose systems all the time.. and many of the mongoose systems are being ditched for the neu..

the neu in the hands of someone with a heavy finger or a noob is not the best choice.. especially if running on a smaller track,, but if your skill level has advanced and you feel that you can handle the power and speed. then the neu is for you.. or if you are running on a larger track and you need that lil extra power to out run and out jump the competition then the neu is for you..

i dont speak for everyone.. and my experience is only limited to 10th and 8th scale dirt offroad tracks.. just as stated in the second statement of the initial post.. """"testing was at socal raceway a dirt track offroad supercross style track for 10th scale electrics""

the mongoose is a vast improvment over other systems in terms of smoothness and cogging.. but it lacks power for those wanting more..

the neu motor is just an option.. for someone looking for a lil bit more.. and comparing the neu to the mongoose... the mongoose doesnt have a chance.. more power ,,,plain and simple

Last edited by jaejw1; 01-16-2009 at 01:32 AM.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:57 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MITAjXTStrY

would you say this is a big enough track for something like the ammo motor.. permax or neu ..
Old 01-16-2009, 03:48 PM

i dont think you are hearing what im saying... when the mongoose and all the other systems become slow.. meaning that others have graduated to something faster and you are left behind,,, then there are options...

when the minis first came out.. heck stock motor was all you need... now pple are running brushless systems,,, the same ppl that swore that the vr3 duratrax motor was more than enough...

all it takes is for someone to bring something to the track and be faster than everyone else... and consistent then everyone will jump on the band wagon... that is what happened to the mongoose when it first came out...

the neu isnt for everyone.. but if you think you can handle it.. or if you want something that will gain you an edge over the other guy then its perfect...

and me racing on 10th scale tracks has nothing to do with anything,, that is the only option i have so i take advantage of it and i enjoy it... same for having 10th scale vehicles on 8th scale tracks,,, or better yet 8th scale brushless vehicles on 10th scale tracks or slash trucks on supercross 10th scale tracks...
Old 01-16-2009, 06:32 PM

well there are ppl out there using the permax motors and have been having good luck with them,,, and a couple are using the neu motors.. and a few want to switch over to the neu motors..

this is a uote from someone that was in a big race just last weekend..

http://www.rctech.net/forum/5288951-post190.html
Old 01-16-2009, 06:39 PM

and here is a quote from someone else..

""the neu is fast, fast as lighting almost scary fast this thing is awsome!"
Old 01-28-2009, 01:57 AM

Nearly every post that I read from Jaejw1 is regarding the Neu. Is the Neu even sensored? I run the Novak Mongoose 10.5 and don't worry about people with faster motors. Races aren't won and lost in the straight; my pick is for usable speed and power and the Novak delivers.

The additional speed that you may gain on a straightaway is probably negated by the necessity to brake sooner anyway so unless you are on huge sweeping tracks, having the fastest (Top end speed) motor/car is irrelevant.

BTW, I am speaking from an onroad perspective.

"For Every Action There Is An Equal And Opposite Reaction."
Old 01-28-2009, 11:44 AM

well the first post I stated that all tests were conducted on a large dirt offroad indoor 10th scale track,,,,,, and the mongoose 13.5 and 8.5 were tested on a medium sized dirt offroad outdoor 10th scale track....

the mongoose was directly compared to the permax motor that I was already using and racing with..... I was not impressed with the mongoose because of limited gearing options,,, and the power was not nearly that of the permax...

now the mongoose is a smooth system,,, but can be blown away by other systems on larger tracks...

at ocrcraceway where I tested the NEU motor another vendetta racer was there and he had the 10.5.... said it was very smooth but he wished he had more power to take the larger jumps,,, he had heat issues which caused him to cut the chassis and the body,,,, and he was stuck with using ONE gearing option.... he drove my NEU powered vendetta,,, said it wasnt AS smooth but the immediate power on demand outweighed the SLIGHT lack of smoothness...

now I would never recommend that a newbie get a NEU and run it on a small track,,,, well maybe the NEU 1105/2.5y which is 4000kv... and can be geared at 19/45 easily with absolutely no heat issues...

speed is not everything its power to clear the most difficult sections at my local track

so is the mongoose a better system? depends on what ur lookingfor
is the NEU a better system? also depends on what ur looking for,,, but for me and others like me,, the NEU motor line offers more selection

I do plan on getting the vendetta TC,, and I will be putting a NEU 1105/1.5y in it, only because I will be running it on a large 8th scale track asphalt onroad track
Old 01-28-2009, 01:13 PM

So the Neu is faster and has more torque than all of the Novak brushless systems? How is it around the track being sensorless and all?

"For Every Action There Is An Equal And Opposite Reaction."
Old 01-28-2009, 02:05 PM

I have several videos on youtube showing youits performance.... my latest video from 1-12-09 shows me on the track following a 8th scale brushless buggy,,,, taking the same jumps and clearing them with no problem

I have done speed runs with the motor geared at 19/45 but I currently have it geared at 13/45,,, the best combination of speed (perfect for the track ) and power (can clear any jumpat the track with absolutely no problem )... the triple at the track was cleared with only being on throttle 20%