YourMicro.com - HPI Micro RS4, Losi Mini-T, XRay M18, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, M18, M18T, RC18T, Mini-LST, Mini-T, Micro RS4, XRay, 1/18, 18th scale
M18 Hop-Ups, M18 Parts, Mini-LST Hop-Ups, Mini-LST Parts, Kyosho, Atomic, 3Racing, Country Alloy Works, Castle Creations, Trinity, Intellect, United RC, Battery Packs, 2/3A
Old 04-01-2007, 03:12 PM

Send a message via MSN to sescallier Send a message via Yahoo to sescallier
My theory and experiences with the rc18.

Ok, I have had my RC18 for a while, and have altered it in a zillion ways, here is what I think-have learned.

Chassis- Stick with the stock, keep an eye out for the DP Delrin chassis, for carpet Carbon is fine.

Motor- If you decide to go brushless look beyond Mamba, Quark-Hacker, Wraith, C4, Aon, are better.

Servos- In my experience even the hs56 is fine, otherwise look towards more torque.

Steering- DP steering link, get metal stuff if you want to reduce slop more, mine works fine with the basic plastic stuff.

Radio- For a cheap and good radio look to the Futaba FM3.

Shocks- The threaded team shocks are great, green slime them, got for something like 40-45 in rear, 70 in front.

Battery- I1400s are nice, Lipo is insane, it drops so much weight.

Accesories-

DP gear cover is a must.

Robinson Racing hardened .5 mod pinion gears are nice.

Aluminum is junk, stick with plastic IMHO, your weight will be less, and its waaay cheaper and easier to replace, Keep your eyes out for RPM A arms coming soon!

I dislike Titanium links, they are heavier, IMHO dont move as well, plus the flex of stock AE links is minimal and can stop potential servo-chassis type damage, IMHO breaking points on steering-suspension-drivetrain are essential to protect more important stuff.

IMHO the drivetrain is the only real weak point of the vehicle, Shims and gear cover fix 95% of this, the other 5% is necessary, like stuff wearing out.

DP and RPM make amazing stuff, RPM bumper is a must, DP gear cover, steering link and Shock retainers are top notch, also like I said look for the RPM arms.

CVDs of course are a must.

IMHO the Screws type sets are not worth it, I still have a set sitting here, also roll cages are not worth it.

A good way to stiffen your chassis is with a Diggity Designs top plate, also check out their shock towers, battery strap, ect.

Rubber sealed bearings can be good, mainly good for dirt, ceramic bearings are good for indoors, though I think the weight of the cars couldnt damage ceramics anyways, bearings are expensive, so do research and they are a non essential minimal add on, something to squeese a little speed out.

IMHO, those aluminum arms-casters-towers are not needed, they add weight, alot of unsprung weight, and screws loosen from them if not loc-tighted, also you make more important things weak points then, plastic is cheap and easy to fix, keep these as weak points, and keep your weight down-speed up... Also the shiny metal is a dime a dozen now... And aluminum wheels are garbage...;lkjkl;

---------I am truly thinking less bling-more zing----------

I had a truck that was all factory billet-lunsford-ect out, with mamba-mamba combo...

The config I have now absolutely demolishes that truck config in every way, all i need now is to get rid of this mamba motor and get something strong....

Also I do know weight can add to high speed stability, I however think buying huge lipos and high KV motors to reach top speed it where you need weight, for low-mid speed precision driving-racing I think low weight is better, thus this is how I set it up.

And feedback positive or negative is welcome, also any further tips are welcome.

Last edited by sescallier; 04-01-2007 at 03:14 PM.
Old 04-01-2007, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alfred Send a message via MSN to alfred Send a message via Yahoo to alfred
Your setup looks good man, but the only thing i can suggest is shortening the wires to make it look clean, what are you using to hold down the elec's....
Spektrumized

Last edited by alfred; 04-01-2007 at 04:25 PM.
Old 04-01-2007, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfred View Post
Your setup looks good man, but the only thing i can suggest is shortening the wires to make it look clean, what are you using to hold down the elec's....
Ahhh, I dont solder so I am not really in a position right now to alter the wires length...

Most of my stuff is now held down with velcro, I find its nice if you do alot of swiching, though I am likely gonna add something else as a helper for holding down my ESC.
Old 04-01-2007, 06:58 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alfred Send a message via MSN to alfred Send a message via Yahoo to alfred
Velcro is nice but if you want something that will keep it down, use shoo goo......the best thing overall especially if you keep the elec's the same. You dont have to worry about your elec's popping off.
Spektrumized
Old 04-01-2007, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfred View Post
Velcro is nice but if you want something that will keep it down, use shoo goo......the best thing overall especially if you keep the elec's the same. You dont have to worry about your elec's popping off.
I was using mounting tape which works good, though I do take stuff off a bit...

Perhaps I will just back it up with something temporary.. :P

Once I got the new motor and get everything sorted I will look to clean it all up and perhaps shoe goo it all.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:02 PM
Super Moderator

Cool, and to let you know that its not hard to solder at all.....just practice a bit and you will get the hang of it.
Spektrumized