YourMicro.com - HPI Micro RS4, Losi Mini-T, XRay M18, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, M18, M18T, RC18T, Mini-LST, Mini-T, Micro RS4, XRay, 1/18, 18th scale
M18 Hop-Ups, M18 Parts, Mini-LST Hop-Ups, Mini-LST Parts, Kyosho, Atomic, 3Racing, Country Alloy Works, Castle Creations, Trinity, Intellect, United RC, Battery Packs, 2/3A
Old 09-03-2007, 09:39 AM

batteries

so right now, i am using the radioshack batteries, one 1200 nimh, and one 1400 nimh... when either of these packs die, i would like to replace them with something non-radioshack... i really don't want to venture into lipos yet, so probably another nimh pack...i don't really understand the power ratings on these things,
will a 1500 mah pack put out more power than a 1200mah pack of the same voltage, or will it just provide a longer charge?
can/should the next pack be a 1500 mah one, or larger?

as you can see, im still a bit mixed up about batteries

thanks!
Old 09-03-2007, 09:53 AM

You can use the 1500 as long as the cells are the same size (2/3A). If you are running one motor you can use a flat pack like the RC18 series. If you are running a dual motor set-up you have to run the saddle pack.

You can get the 1500's from places like cheapbatterypacks.com. I was looking at their site and you can get the saddle pack for $19.50-$24.50 with a choice of connectors (personally I'm using deans plugs on mine) and wire. It's the same price for the flat RC18 pack also.

Last edited by BilboBaggins; 09-03-2007 at 09:55 AM.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:22 AM

wow, that site is pretty cool!
the standard connector you find on chargers, like the mrc 960 is the large tamiya, right? also, do you have any reccomendations on the wire?

thanks!
Old 09-03-2007, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetta80 View Post
wow, that site is pretty cool!
the standard connector you find on chargers, like the mrc 960 is the large tamiya, right? also, do you have any reccomendations on the wire?

thanks!
The thicker the wire the better the electricity flows, think plumbing, the larger the pipe the more water flows.

Most chargers haf the Large Tamiya plug but you can either make an adapter of just change the plug on the charger to match the car.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:29 PM

...and the connector on the car is the small tamiya, correct?
and, would a 1500 battery give the car more power, or just a longer runtime?

thanks!
Old 09-03-2007, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetta80 View Post
...and the connector on the car is the small tamiya, correct?
and, would a 1500 battery give the car more power, or just a longer runtime?

thanks!
I believe it's the small tamiya, but I switched mine to Deans Ultras.

1500mah will give a longer runtime than a 1200 or 1400. But depends on you charging of the battery. If you charge the battery at 1 amp it'll take longer to charge but you'll get a longer runtime. If you charge at 2 amps the charge time and runtime will go down but the power goes up.

I read a magazine article on a race where guys where charging their batteries at 10 amps to get more speed, I'm guessing they are sponsored to afford the reduced life of the battery packs doing that.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:21 PM

And that's why electronics liIon batteries are often rated in watt-hours.

You charge a pack faster with a higher voltage, giving the pack a temporarily higher voltage(that charge) but it only stores so much energy(Joules or Watt-hours) so you have less runtime, even though it's marked in runtime(milliAmp-hours.)
But, if you exceed the rated voltage(eg 1.3V/cell on a 1.2V/cell rated pack) you get fewer charges than rated, and a potential immediate reduction of capacity.
So theoretically, better packs will have a higher cell voltage(to a limited extent) or a lower charge impedance(faster charge at the same voltage.)

I've had in the past packs run to death with fast charges revive with an extended slow charge(slow charger designed to output the rated pack voltage, for several days.)
I've only had one or two revive, though, so YMMV.

First charge should always be a slow charge, in my experience, to get full capacity. I have also succeeded with a closely observed, dumb fast charge(when the pack starts quickly increasing in temp, stop) suggesting a false peak voltage on new packs. I've also melted battery packs that way, so don't do it.