YourMicro.com - HPI Micro RS4, Losi Mini-T, XRay M18, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, M18, M18T, RC18T, Mini-LST, Mini-T, Micro RS4, XRay, 1/18, 18th scale
M18 Hop-Ups, M18 Parts, Mini-LST Hop-Ups, Mini-LST Parts, Kyosho, Atomic, 3Racing, Country Alloy Works, Castle Creations, Trinity, Intellect, United RC, Battery Packs, 2/3A

Go Back   YourMicro.com Forums > XRAY M18 > M18 Discussion

Old 01-05-2007, 08:04 PM

XRAY M18 Pro Driveshaft hex wheel details

Hey All,

I just finished putting together my m18 pro and took a few pics of the new "micro touring car-type wheel mounting system." This seems to be the topic of choice when discussing the pro vs original m18. It looks like they changed the driveshaft and added the hex adapters. To be exact they only changed the end that the old inner wheel hubs screwed into to. The shape is different from the original m18. The original m18 had a D shaped end and the pro has and oval 0 shaped end. These driveshafts along with the hex wheel adapters are interchangeable between the m18 and the pro. I installed the original m18 driveshafts so I can run rubber tires while waiting for hex wheels. I do basement racing so I eat up foams real quick! Let me know u you have any other questions regarding the pro. I also have an original m18 so I can swap parts and compare.

Comparing the original m18 to the pro, the differences I can see are the hex adapters, hex wheels, foams, MFT adjustable chassis (same as any other aftermarket CF chassis if you ask me), CF front bumper hold down, ball diffs in front and rear, 6 cell battery mount, aluminum motor mount 180-300, servo saver, complete pinion/spur gear set, and mazda body.

Great forum BTW. I have been lurking since I got my mrs4 back when they first came out.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:09 PM

Send a message via AIM to m18_racer Send a message via Yahoo to m18_racer
hmm, so they are interchangable... you might want to tell al that hes been wanting to know about that but people have been telling him no..
mrs4
Old 01-05-2007, 08:18 PM

Yeah, as you can see in the second pic, I have the old driveshafts/hubs/wheels on my pro. In the manual, they referenced a different part number for the bearings in the carriers, but they were indeed the same size. Originally it was believed that you just needed the hex adapter to convert to the hex wheels. That theory is wrong since there is actually a new driveshaft as well, however if you change the whole driveshaft assembly, they are interchangeable. I've also attached another pic with the wheels off. Hope that clears up some confusion.

Old 01-05-2007, 08:22 PM

nice work man, keep us posted on anything else you find out
mrs4
Old 01-05-2007, 09:51 PM

Driftking sees the backend of my RS4 nightly!!!!
Old 01-05-2007, 10:39 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alfred Send a message via MSN to alfred Send a message via Yahoo to alfred
So you mean to say that an M18 universal will work with the hex conversion with no problems....and does your end look like the pic.....can you also post a pic of the Pro's universal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg universal.jpg (81.8 KB, 36 views)
Spektrumized
Old 01-05-2007, 10:47 PM

ok the end that goes into the diff. is the same.. meaning that you can still use those but you will have to keep the inner hub system. and i dont understand the part but i guess you MIGHT be able to run those pro unis on the original with the new hub systen dought it but maybe with some modding.
mrs4
Old 01-05-2007, 10:50 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alfred Send a message via MSN to alfred Send a message via Yahoo to alfred
Thats not the question though......will this work for the hex conversion if i wanted to convert my oldie but goodie to the hex system without buying new universals for it........
Spektrumized
Old 01-05-2007, 10:52 PM

okay what you just said was VERY confusing i lost you on the oldie but goodie thing.
mrs4
Old 01-05-2007, 10:54 PM
Super Moderator

Okay then....well my old uni's that i have in my M18 now work with the hex conversion.....hope this clears things up for you man, without having to buy new upgraded universals. Taking a look at the pic are both ends of the uni's have a flat spot.
Spektrumized

Last edited by alfred; 01-05-2007 at 10:57 PM.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:06 PM

Hmm, the M18 pro is my first xray but I'll try to add my .02 based on what I saw at Driftkings house. Basically what he did was take his old universals from his regular M18 and threw them into the M18 Pro and just used his old M18 hubs and rubber tires since we run on a concrete basement. The parts he has on the towel are the M18 Pro universals and the M18 Pro wheels. So basically the old universals will work on an M18 Pro, you just need to also use the old wheel setup as well.

Hopefully Driftking chimes in later to confirm.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:11 PM
Super Moderator

LOL......im not trying to swap nothing out....what i want to know is, well the universals fit in the hex shaft so my M18 can use this new conversion......all i want to know is this, well the old universal fit into the hex shaft.....the inner wheel of the M18 uses a D shaped insert does the hex also have this.
Spektrumized
Old 01-06-2007, 12:56 AM

alfred, sorry to say but you can't use your blue aluminum unis with the hex adapter. the shaft ends that go into the hex system are different. the original m18 shaft ends are "D" shaped like you mention but the the pro's shaft ends are "0" shaped. I tried just removing the hex adapter and attaching the hubs but they didnt fit which when I notice the differences in the shapes. to use your old blue unis you would have to use the inner wheel hubs and to use the hex wheels u need the pro unis with hex adapter. but either configuration will work in either m18 or pro. hope that makes sense.
BTW.. akuma chokes on my foam chunks!!!
Old 01-06-2007, 02:47 AM

here is a closeup of the pro drive shafts/universals.

Old 01-06-2007, 08:42 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Roelof
You can always grind a 2nd flat spot on the old alu universal to make it fit with the new hex adapters.