YourMicro.com - HPI Micro RS4, Losi Mini-T, XRay M18, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, M18, M18T, RC18T, Mini-LST, Mini-T, Micro RS4, XRay, 1/18, 18th scale
M18 Hop-Ups, M18 Parts, Mini-LST Hop-Ups, Mini-LST Parts, Kyosho, Atomic, 3Racing, Country Alloy Works, Castle Creations, Trinity, Intellect, United RC, Battery Packs, 2/3A
Old 08-15-2006, 08:57 PM

Yeah I should've kept my mouth shut about the pics and vids. So much I want to do but never enough time!

Here's one more pic for now. Shows 3 roadsters conversions sitting on Harnois Road Course. The black on on the left is Fajita Dave's M18. The silver one is my wife's Micro RS4, and the one on the right is my M18.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0295-resize.JPG (101.5 KB, 82 views)
Old 08-15-2006, 09:21 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alfred Send a message via MSN to alfred Send a message via Yahoo to alfred
All three look awesome man.....
Spektrumized
Old 08-15-2006, 09:49 PM

We like to build up the excitement before releasing pictures .

Last edited by Fajita Dave; 08-15-2006 at 09:53 PM.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:18 PM

Send a message via AIM to Zeppelin Send a message via Yahoo to Zeppelin
.................................................i m comin over tomorrow. jk, Nice cars and the track is looking good too.
Old 08-18-2006, 08:24 PM

My dad brought home a scale that measures by 0.25 oz at a time. The dodge stratus body that I used to run was 1.50 ounces while the open wheeled buggy body is only .50 ounces. Also factor in grinding off about 1/8 inch from the sides of the chassis and bumper and my car now weighs in at 14.50 ounces. It deffinatly shows too with the motor and batteries we're running. The full body cars still keep up and win races though.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:58 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alfred Send a message via MSN to alfred Send a message via Yahoo to alfred
that is light man......there should be a speed increase as well.
Spektrumized
Old 08-18-2006, 11:51 PM

Today I rearranged the electronics to make room for the 9v that is needed to power the on-car cam. Here's a couple pics showing the setup and the on-car camera mounting. I replaced the AAs on the left with a 4-cell 2/3a pack, and the 9v for the cam replaces the AAs on the right.

Previously the cam car had quite a disadvantage during our spec racing because it was carrying the extra weight of the cam and especially the 9v. Plus the only place to mount the 9v was hanging off the back of the car which made the car push badly, ruining its otherwise wonderfully balanced handling. I'm hoping this setup will make the weight of the cam car at least closer to the same as the weight of the non-cam-carrying cars with AAs. I've already tested it enough to know it doesn't have the push problem, at least not nearly as bad.

Hopefully the 2/3a cells will last long enough to be worth using. I have 2 packs for now and I can switch them out quickly so hopefully it won't interupt the racing too much.

Dave I hope you bring that scale with you tomorrow (or I guess at this point it is technically later on today).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg m18-2-3-a1.JPG (143.5 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg m18-2-3-a2.JPG (142.7 KB, 65 views)
Old 08-19-2006, 12:08 AM
Super Moderator

that is nice man......yeah now i see why it would push.... going to be a nice vid though.
Spektrumized
Old 08-19-2006, 09:41 AM

Does this mean I don't have to drive the camera car again ? I see you put an antena on there too did it help your glitching?

I will bring the scale.
Old 08-19-2006, 03:04 PM

Can't wait for this one. And love what you did for the camera car, but let me get this straight, you're only using 4 cells right? Is every one else still on 4 AAs? Any way good luck with all of this.
Old 08-19-2006, 08:39 PM

Of course we're only using 4 cells . When we get videos up you'll see why we only use 4 cells. Adam's car did great with the cam it deffinatly didn't slow him down because he got the overall win for the day (I think we did 60 something 3 lap races).

We have had someone use 6 cells once and its way to much for the track and its terrible for competition. It was only one person using the 6 cell pack but it was way to much power for the track. By the time you could even pull full throttle or 3/4 throttle for that matter your already hitting the outside wall in the next corner. The track was specifically designed for 4 cells and stock motors.
Old 08-19-2006, 08:45 PM

Of course we're only using 4 cells . When we get videos up you'll see why we only use 4 cells. Adam's car did great with the cam it deffinatly didn't slow him down because he got the overall win for the day (I think we did 60 something 3 lap races).

We have had someone use 6 cells a few times and its way to much for the track and its terrible for competition (he still didn't win often at all because he couldn't keep it on the track). It was only one person using the 6 cell pack but there isn't enough room to use the power. By the time you could even pull full throttle or 3/4 throttle for that matter your already hitting the outside wall in the next corner. The track was specifically designed for 4 cells and stock motors and anything more will make for bad racing even if people keep the cars perfectly under control. Having the power will destroy the close competition and battles that we have. As it is now theres only one chance to make the right choice when your in bumper to bumper racing and having higher speeds will only turn those close battles into wrecks.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:33 PM

"you're only using 4 cells right? Is every one else still on 4 AAs?"

Yes. We figured out using Daves scale the the weight the 4-cell 2/3A pack plus the 9v for the camera is the same as the weight of the 4AAs. So this way we've evened out the weight between the cam car and the other cars. The camera and its mount and wiring weigh another 3/4 of an ounce but that is not nearly as bad as carrying 2.25 ounces more than all the other cars.

The 4-cell 2/3A pack did last long enough. We usually do anywhere from 60 to 100 of our 3-lap sprint races, each one takes about 35-40 seconds, plus a line up lap. I think we could make it all day on 2 battery cycles with the 2/3a pack. The AAs definitely will last longer, at least twice as long, but in the last half of their life their kinda sluggish and we end up changing them anyway. The 2/3A cells keep their speed more throughout their cycle and then crash more suddenly.

And yes I think the Antenna did solve the glitch issues.

Here's some more weight values we collected with the scale:
4-cell 2/3A pack: 3.00 oz
4AAs w/holders: 4.50 oz
9v batt: 1.50 oz
painted nissan r390 body including those crazy metal wing mounts that come with this body: 2.25 oz
more typical body weight, painted: 1.50 oz
buggy body weight: 0.50 oz
stockish micro rs4 with viper body and 4AAs ready to run: 15.25 oz
my wife's micro rs4 with buggy body (the one seen in the last pic I posted) and 4AAs ready to run: 13.75 oz
Dave's m18 with buggy body and 4AAs ready to run: 14.25 oz
Adam's m18 with buggy body, 4-cell 2/3A pack, 9v, and cam, ready to run: 15.00 oz
Old 08-20-2006, 09:55 PM
Super Moderator

Seems like you guys had some fun, and hey please dont knock the R390 body, its my favorite...lol.... Handles good on speed runs.
Spektrumized
Old 08-20-2006, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harnois View Post
Yes. We figured out using Daves scale the the weight the 4-cell 2/3A pack plus the 9v for the camera is the same as the weight of the 4AAs. So this way we've evened out the weight between the cam car and the other cars. The camera and its mount and wiring weigh another 3/4 of an ounce but that is not nearly as bad as carrying 2.25 ounces more than all the other cars.
That's exactly what I was getting at.