YourMicro.com - HPI Micro RS4, Losi Mini-T, XRay M18, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, M18, M18T, RC18T, Mini-LST, Mini-T, Micro RS4, XRay, 1/18, 18th scale
M18 Hop-Ups, M18 Parts, Mini-LST Hop-Ups, Mini-LST Parts, Kyosho, Atomic, 3Racing, Country Alloy Works, Castle Creations, Trinity, Intellect, United RC, Battery Packs, 2/3A
Old 04-15-2009, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genitor View Post
Thanks SonicJ! You provided some valuable information.
Which charger do you use? I've been looking at the Fma cellpro multi4
http://www.fmadirect.com/new_applica...ti4_media.html

It charges every battery chemistry and only costs $75.
i use a fma cellpro 4s (older version). it works great but lacks the features of the newer multi 4. i've been contemplating a new charger but i haven't done much research on whats available at the moment. the Turnigy Accucel-8 & Accucel-6 seem like a lot of value for the price. the fma is $75, but requires you to buy a balance connector and a pc interface if you want to use it with the computer. its also limited to 4s LiXX and 5s LiFe. the accucel 8 charges up to 8s & 7amps and includes a rediculous amount of connectors for $79. heres a link to the accucel 8 with plenty of user reviews: accucel 8
the accucel 6 is comparible to the cellpro multi 4 but is less than $40! rcgroups disscussion for accucel 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by genitor View Post
What type of runtimes do you get with those 18650 cells? And which motor are you running?
im not sure about the runtime, i just built the pack last night that truck is pending a drivetrain overhaul. i won't get to that until i finish my 1/8th scale MT so it'll probably be a few days, but i'll let you know as soon as i log a few packs! im running a castle cm2042 4200kv
Old 04-20-2009, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RERacing View Post
Actually ANY cells is going to fully charge at a larger capacity than it's listed for.
huh? by larger capacity, do you mean higher voltage? those terms are not interchangable.

Quote:
Fact of the matter remains that at 6.6 (rated) volts
rated? rated for what? if you want to spew numbers, you need to be more specific.

Quote:
...is going on a full volt lower in rating or capactiy than a similarly sized NiMH or LiPO pack.....
....which leaves you SLOOOOOOOOWW in comparison.
dude! lower voltage, not lower capacity! (see the graph) apples to apples, the a123 will be slower (if the other batteries in question can provide enough current). if you want more speed, simply gear up or go with a lower turn, higher kv or higher amp draw motor.

the graphs displays the 2s1p 1100mah a123 pack vs the stock pro-pulse 1200mah pack @ 5a constant. up the current and the gap gets wider and the nimh slope gets steeper.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nimh_vs_life.JPG (78.1 KB, 7 views)
Old 04-27-2009, 01:54 AM

Found this great source for LifePo4 cells and packs. They have a lot of different sizes and configs.

http://www.batteryspace.com/index.as...&Category=1275
Old 04-28-2009, 08:56 PM

the price is good, but look at the discharge ratings. some of those are only 4a!
Old 04-29-2009, 05:36 AM

Yeah the discharge rates for the packs are really low, i was looking at the single cells, have no idea why i linked the packs page. On closer inspection, it seems like the packs have something called a polyswitch installed in the packs to limit discharge rate. The single cells are avaialble at higher discharge rates, although even those are still low!

http://www.batteryspace.com/index.as...&Category=1273

This site actually has a better deal.
http://www.battlepack.com/a123.asp
Old 04-29-2009, 08:19 PM

cool link! someone on rcu just found a source for vpx packs @ $13.07ea. $6.53 per cell is the best i've seen since the vpx blowouts.

the k2 stuff looks interesting! k2 is claiming 21a continuous with 35a peaks. http://store.peakbattery.com/lfp1865...areable-3.html
Old 05-01-2009, 01:26 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alfred Send a message via MSN to alfred Send a message via Yahoo to alfred
If your looking for a cell thats AA size then you might want to check these out......there 3.7 volts......dont know how well they will do in rc applications but they sure as hell make my lights brighter. Theres a built in pc board that prevents overdischarge, over-charge and short circuits.

https://www.4sevens.com/product_info...roducts_id=206
Spektrumized

Last edited by alfred; 05-01-2009 at 01:31 AM.
Old 05-01-2009, 05:10 AM

i doubt those can deliver enough current for rc use, but i could be wrong. i do need a 14500 for my ultrafire c3 though! what light do you have?
Old 05-01-2009, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alfred Send a message via MSN to alfred Send a message via Yahoo to alfred
http://yourmicro.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20273

You can check out my lights at the link.....and please feel welcome to post yours as well.....my newest ones that i have since Xmas of last year are the D10 and the ITP C9 with matching battery tubes.
Spektrumized
Old 05-01-2009, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator

This is what i know of the cells....

- a new protection PCB with a higher current threshold ( up to 5A +/- 0.5A );

- a removeable sticker label to reduce overall diameter;

- button tops on 17670 and 17500 for better contact without the need for spacers ;

- steel bottom plate for better wear protection from tailcap springs;
Spektrumized
Old 05-02-2009, 05:53 PM

cool, i posted!