YourMicro.com - HPI Micro RS4, Losi Mini-T, XRay M18, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, M18, M18T, RC18T, Mini-LST, Mini-T, Micro RS4, XRay, 1/18, 18th scale
M18 Hop-Ups, M18 Parts, Mini-LST Hop-Ups, Mini-LST Parts, Kyosho, Atomic, 3Racing, Country Alloy Works, Castle Creations, Trinity, Intellect, United RC, Battery Packs, 2/3A
Old 06-05-2007, 11:24 AM

Send a message via AIM to jaejw1
MY TIRE REVIEW... finally

first i would like to thank NOFF for sending me a set of the d-bars.. i was surprisingly pleased with them.. my mouth dropped with excitement, eventhough i was skeptical..
i want to mention also.. testing tires is really work,, not like running a car.. you have to pay attention to certain details and understand why things are performing the way they are...
my testing was done at socal raceway and pegasus .. going by memory at times while others were written down after i pulled the car off the track or by watching my videos..

socal raceway clay dirt which is changed oftnen about every 3 weeks is known for having lots of bite on the track,, when it is wet/soft,, wet/hard and dry/hard
while pegasus you are trying to find traction as soon as the dry spots start showing up,, and being an outdoor track the sun blarring doesnt help.. it is noted hat pegasus
"Pegasus has a hard track surface that will break up if left dry. Tire choices will depend on how wet the track is but with continual light watering by the track crew, conditions stay pretty consistent and lap times do not differ much throughout the day. The track maintains a hard base with a slightly loose top when wet. The track can get hard and slick if left dry."

the things i was testing for were
-forward bite
-side bite
-turn in ,, on/off power
-high speed stability
-hidh speed sweepers
-controlled drifts
-in air pitch control

ok so here we go..
SOCAL RACEWAY ,, wet/soft fresh

HOLESHOTS/INSIDE JOBS stock proline foam,, reference tires
great fun to drive.. the car will wheelie about the halfway mark on the straight... the tires had good forward and side bite .. high speed stability was great.. i was able to track a straight line and the inside jobs offered the right amount of push when going into the high speed sweeper. in air control was sensitive... the taller profile soaked up a lot of track imperfections,, absorbs landings well,,, now on power turning was pushy.. since the front wheels would like to leave the ground but off power was good

CRIMEFIGHTERS,, doudled half8th proline foam
great for such a small profile with hardly any cushion.. it will wheelie on initial throttle if giving too much ,, tires offered superior traction even when caked with dirt,, this tire is great for wet/soft surface,, high speed stability was good and controlled drifting was there when you wanted it.. it had the rifght amount of push and give.. i like these tires aswell

STOCK DTX TIRES,, only ran once on the softer surface.. but they performed very well to my surprise.. i would use as a last resort though and only if the track is soft and wet or damp..

SOCAL HARD PACKED DAMP HARD..

INSIDE/HOLESHOTS,,
good traction,, will still do wheelies on the straight,, has the right amount of push on the sweeper ,, and will still push its way through slow tight turn while on power,, stilll a good overall well rounded tire,, it does what i need it to do when i need it to do it..

MINI QUAKE SPLIT BLOCKS stock soft foam
forward bite.. NONE-- it would just ride ontop of the dirt surface and not dig in......... these tires did nothing but slide all over the place.. they had no grip.. turn ins were wide and drifty.. in air control was very sensitive.. .... these tires may work well on a wet soft track,, or on a loose powdery track..

CRIME FIGHTERS
forward bite was good,,, ok-good side bite, but way more controllable than the MQ tires.. turn ins were good.. high speed stability was great.. it kept a straight line.. just watch for footprints or potholes.. the lower profile tires and shorter clearance will upset suspension.. ... good on the sweeper and coming out of the sweeper.. will keep the front wheels planted while slightly breaking he rear wheels loose enough to square off the turn,,,,, controlled drifts were easy.. without a BL motor i might have a hard time adjusting pitch in the air

STOCK DTX TIRES... just as bad as the MQ TIRES

D-BARS,, 10th scale trinity grey bomb one foam
holy jeez. these things had lil tiny claws sticking out.. this was one mutant tire.. i never had soo much traction before.. the tires were glued to the dirt,,, some might like it and others wont.. i personally didnt like it.. i couldnt not manipulate the tires like i like to do.. the tires would traction roll.... on power push is crazy.. but off power turn ins are like curving throught he dirt with a knife.. very sharp and planted... high speed sweeper is wide but planted,, that is if i could get on the sweeper without flipping over,, way too much traction for me,,, might be a great tire for someone driving on the same surface and is used to driving on carpet.. high speed stability is great,, and landing was awesome thanks to the foam inserts

WILDBOARS,, trinity bomb ones
my kind of tires,, not as great a the insidejob/holeshots or the crime fighters.. but they were ok.. a good tire to practice with.. the lil pins were just a tad too hard for the dirt... a lil wd40 sprayed on and left overnight might soften the rubber.. these tires suited my driving style more than the D-BARS..

PEGASUS,,, wet-dry

INSIDEJOBS/HOLESHOTS
sweeps and turn in were good.. allowed for quick switch backs in the "s" section,, had the right amount of push at the first turn coming off the straight.. these tires will wheelie on the straight,, tires also are more forgiving of imperfect landings and surface.. i did very well with these tires..

CRIMEFIGHTERS
love/hate these tires.. well hate is a strong word.. these tires performed very well in the wet patches and ok in the dry stuff. forward bite was good.. bit side bite on certain areas was a real push.. the "s" ssection while wet these ires would carve straight through with no problem,, and the sweeper was taken a lil too wide, but it could have been that i was pushing it too hard.. these tires would not wheelie on the straight made driving pleasurable.. just as long as the dirt was slightly wet..

MINI QUAKE
sweeper was WIDE,, turn ins were loose,, spun out a few times,, the "s" section pissed me off.. i did not like these tires at all.. even on the wet stuff..

STOCK DTX TIRES
they only do well if the track is FRESHLY watered,, once it starts to dry up.. they are just as bad as the mini quakes

D-BARS,,,,,,,,,,,,,, i almost forgot i was reviewing these tires... these tires are the tires for this track,, they offered superior traction.. but not soo much as at socal..
wet or dry these tires performed well.. but like any other tire for any other car.. get out of the groove and into the loose stuff and YOU WILL SPIN OUT..
the "s" section was taken fast and tight,, the sweeper was so tight i had to make sure i was not going to hit the inside pipes.. in air control was ok. but that is fine.. the traction at this track is what everyone is searching for.. even the race announcer said the car was riding on rails and looked good.. he even asked what tires i was using.. he did mention that it was so hooked up that it might do wheelies on the straight.. something i dont like.. well it will if i gun the throotle halfway on the straight......
landing.. oh man.. you knew the foam was doing its part.. i never heard such softer landings... i can go on and on and on about this tire on this track,, i know now that this tire is the tire to have at pegasus and even though ppl said it wouuldnt work,, "foam too hard".. "treads too big".. well i was extremely pleased

WILD BOARS.. do i even need to discuss these tires... lets just say i ran half a pack through them and didnt touch them again for the rest of the day..

summary
socal
wet/soft-- crime fighters
damp /hard--- insidejobs/holeshots
dry/hard--- inside jobs/hole shots

pegasus
D-BARS baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if you have any questions regarding any of these tires please feel free to ask.. thanks again to NOFF for allowing me to test these tires..
Old 06-20-2008, 01:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to jaejw1
gonna try out the xtm rage tires at socal.. hard packed clay dirt.. i have treated them with wd40 to kind of soften the tire.. so we will see if it works..