YourMicro.com - HPI Micro RS4, Losi Mini-T, XRay M18, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, M18, M18T, RC18T, Mini-LST, Mini-T, Micro RS4, XRay, 1/18, 18th scale
M18 Hop-Ups, M18 Parts, Mini-LST Hop-Ups, Mini-LST Parts, Kyosho, Atomic, 3Racing, Country Alloy Works, Castle Creations, Trinity, Intellect, United RC, Battery Packs, 2/3A
Old 03-23-2009, 04:59 AM

Motor problems and Q for new one

Hi,

I've run the car with stock motor, esc and 7.4V LiPo battery twice. I think I've destroyed the motor, because it runs very strange:
It runs slower than before, and sometimes (after 2m hill climb) it slows down a lot. Then after about 10-20seconds starts increases a little bit the speed.

I've tried to connect directly to the battery, and it doesn't run as it should (strange noise, not fast as before,...)

So I'd like to know, what can I use for stock replacement ? For the moment I don't need more speed & torque than stock motor has. I need only that the motor will survive running with lipo battery...

I have new Propulse hispeed motor, but I'm afraid that it will die in the same way... May I mount it with original gear ratio or use the gear provided (1 tooth more than original) ?

What about some 3rd party replacement?
Venom Fireball (which type ?)
Someone mentioned also Speed 300 (is it a direct fit ?)
Or any other ?

Thanks
Andrej
Old 03-23-2009, 02:46 PM

I've found the reason why my motor is behaving strange:

The main reason for "bad motor behaviour and lack of power" is that the graphite on one brush inside the motor has gone, and there is only copper left...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg maverick 014.jpg (35.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg maverick 015.jpg (31.0 KB, 11 views)
Old 03-24-2009, 12:31 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alfred Send a message via MSN to alfred Send a message via Yahoo to alfred
You might as well think about going brushless....the motor will certainly outlast a brushed motor. But if you need replacement then go with the Speed 300 or the Venom motor since they will be easier to find and can be had for cheap. The Speed 300 is a direct fit of course.
Spektrumized
Old 03-24-2009, 08:25 AM

Could Speed 300 be used with the same gear ratio ? I mean if the performance will be comparable to original motor ?

I've found also the Sportwerks e 370 which has also the abbility to change brushes. Would it fit in Pro Pulse ? Does it have the right shaft, to fit the original pinion gear ?

Thanks
Andrej
Old 03-24-2009, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alfred Send a message via MSN to alfred Send a message via Yahoo to alfred
Yes you could use the same gear ratio with the speed 300 motor, now as for the other motor i would give it a try-more then likely it will fit.
Spektrumized
Old 03-25-2009, 01:06 PM

Thanks for the answer

Today I was at the rc shop in my town and the guy at the shop said, that graupner speed motors (and a lot others) are made for planes, so have conical shaft, "circle" shaped.
As my original motor has "half circle" (or half moon, I don't know the exact term) shaped shaft, I have to find a replacement with the same type of shaft, if I want to mount the original pinion gear.

So I'd like to know if venom motor has "half moon" shaped motor shaft...

What about brushless ? Is there any cheap possibility for motor & controller ? What type of inrunner motor do I have to look for (how many rpm/V) ?

Thanks
Andrej
Old 03-25-2009, 01:28 PM
Super Moderator

The shaft is like that so the pinion doesnt go flying off.....you should have gotten the motor it would have saved you another trip, and heres a tip- you cant believe what the hobby workers tell you most of the time. What i like to do is put a flat spot on the shaft so when i install the pinion its more secure. Let me know if you need to see a pic.
Spektrumized
Old 03-25-2009, 04:33 PM

Yes please, if you could upload a photo...

Anyway, as I'm from Europe I'll have to order venom motor from ebay or from online shop. Unless I find a graupner speed 300 in my cuntry...

Andrej
Old 03-25-2009, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator

Okay just give me a sec........

Alright man here ya go.........so this way you can install a pinion with a hex grub screw on the flat spot, it sucks when your pinion goes flying off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1050129.JPG (95.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg P1050130.JPG (35.0 KB, 7 views)
Spektrumized
Old 03-26-2009, 06:26 AM
Super Moderator

Well it was just good practice for me to do this, i came from racing 10th scales all the way down to Mini Z's.
Spektrumized