YourMicro.com - HPI Micro RS4, Losi Mini-T, XRay M18, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, M18, M18T, RC18T, Mini-LST, Mini-T, Micro RS4, XRay, 1/18, 18th scale
M18 Hop-Ups, M18 Parts, Mini-LST Hop-Ups, Mini-LST Parts, Kyosho, Atomic, 3Racing, Country Alloy Works, Castle Creations, Trinity, Intellect, United RC, Battery Packs, 2/3A
Old 07-20-2010, 07:30 PM

Sportwerks Recoil Pro Review

I have had my Recoil Pro for a while now. I would like to review this great little car. This was on sale at A-Main Hobbies for $99, so I couldn't pass up the opportunity to add it to my collection of minis. Here is my build:

Turnigy Brushless 4400kv
Turnigy 35A Car ESC
Turnigy 1800mAh 2S 30C Lipo
VCS springs (cut in half) Front: Blue 45 wt oil Rear: Red 55 wt oil
Purple 45 Shore Foam tires
Protek ceramic balls in ball diffs
Hitec HS-65MG Servo

It takes some work to get this car running smoothly. You have to replace the balls in the ball diffs because the chrome on the stock balls flakes off. I used Protek Ceramics and I found them to be much smoother after the install, but you can't really crank them down because the carrier bolt is plastic and strips very easily. Needless to say the diffs are a little looser than I like. The stock yellow springs are awful and I ran it with them once. When I switched to the VCS springs it felt much more planted. The stock tires are okay, but the foams are great. With all that sorted it feels pretty close to a 1/10 TC, just smaller. I am really impressed with the motor, esc and battery from Hobbyking. I only paid $70 for all three and it performs very well. I think it was well worth $170 to get a nice little touring car to run outside or on the track occasionally. There aren't many classes for this in racing, so if you plan to race stick with 1/10 or 1/18. Here are the ratings I give it.

Adjustability 8/10-There are multiple shock mounting positions and turnbuckles. Has all the settings you need, but not as adjustable as a good 1/10 racer.
Handling 9/10-Turns on a dime and the ball diffs do their job, but I would like to tighten the rear diff a little more than the plastic threads allow. I CA glued the foams for no traction rolling. I can do controlled 360s on the street in front of my house.
Ease of Maintenance 7/10-Takes almost a complete tear-down to get to the diffs, and has some small screws I found difficult to work with, but it is a mini...1/14 scale gives a little more room to work with.
Overall 8/10-I really like this little car. The value for the money is incredible, but it is discontinued. If I had to do it over, I would probably still get this little ride for $170. It is great fun to bash outside on the smooth pavement with the looks of envy from the neighborhood kids.