YourMicro.com - HPI Micro RS4, Losi Mini-T, XRay M18, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, M18, M18T, RC18T, Mini-LST, Mini-T, Micro RS4, XRay, 1/18, 18th scale
M18 Hop-Ups, M18 Parts, Mini-LST Hop-Ups, Mini-LST Parts, Kyosho, Atomic, 3Racing, Country Alloy Works, Castle Creations, Trinity, Intellect, United RC, Battery Packs, 2/3A
Old 07-14-2007, 08:14 PM

Somewhat stupid question

i realize this is kind of a dumb question, but can the charger which is included in the micro rs4 sport rtr be used on a 5 cell nimh pack? i have only recently come to understand the importance of breaking-in new cells with 1/10 their mah, and don't want to use it on my main charger until that's been done. and does the rs4 sport rtr include an adapter for connecting the micro batteries to a tamiya style plug in my regular charger. thanks for any help. i have one in the mail and wanted to know if i need to pick anything up from my hobby shop prior to its delivery.

also, while on the subject of batteries, is breaking-in batteries necessary to achieve full capacity, or does it simply make the process take less time? i have a 3000 pack that i've been using in my t3, and it was never properly broken in, but it seems to be holding a decent charge now. it charges for around 35 min at 4.5 amps, but i'm not sure if that's max. the charger i'm using isn't exactly accurate at predicting peaks (it's a mrc superbrain 959), and i frequently have to charge it again after false peaking at 5-15 minutes. thanks again.
Old 07-14-2007, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alfred Send a message via MSN to alfred Send a message via Yahoo to alfred
Its called cycling the packs, you do this with brand new cells......you need to charge and dicharge the pack to gain full capacity....and yes you should have the plug to charge up the pack....but most of us switch to deans anyway.
Spektrumized
Old 07-14-2007, 10:58 PM

so the tamiya-micro adapter is not included with the car?

does cycling the cells reach the same goal as c/10 charging? i'm just wondering because i noticed in the m18 instructions that it specifically states to charge with a tenth the mah before use. i'd always just thought you were supposed to cycle them at low amperage.

and can anyone answer the questions regarding compatability between the included charger and 5 cell nimh batteries? do batteries require different charging techniques depending on voltage? on my charger there are no settings for different numbers of cells, but it does most of the work in the test cycle.
Old 07-14-2007, 11:01 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alfred Send a message via MSN to alfred Send a message via Yahoo to alfred
just as long as the charger is a peak charge type then you should be okay..........the plug is usually with the charger, but like i said before if you plan on switching to deans then why would it matter. What kind of wall charger is it.
Spektrumized
Old 07-14-2007, 11:23 PM

i don't plan on switching to deans.

and the charger is just the included wall charger in the rtr kit.

but i'm not worried about that charger with my batteries (well, actually i am, but not overly worried). I'm just curious about the included charger in the rtr kit and 5 cell nimh batteries.

thanks for the help though

Last edited by jubnoske08; 07-15-2007 at 12:17 AM.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:12 AM

i'm sorry for the confusion, towerhobbies had a misprint on their site. they said the included battery was 4 cells, but apparently it's 5. i see no problem with charging a nimh battery on the included wall charger. i just don't trust my superbrain, it false peaks waaaaaaaay too often on me. (probably my fault though for not cycling my batteries regularly).
Old 07-15-2007, 12:19 AM
Super Moderator

You should be fine charging the batts on that charger............just make sure theres a good connection with the charger and battery.
Spektrumized