YourMicro.com - HPI Micro RS4, Losi Mini-T, XRay M18, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, M18, M18T, RC18T, Mini-LST, Mini-T, Micro RS4, XRay, 1/18, 18th scale
M18 Hop-Ups, M18 Parts, Mini-LST Hop-Ups, Mini-LST Parts, Kyosho, Atomic, 3Racing, Country Alloy Works, Castle Creations, Trinity, Intellect, United RC, Battery Packs, 2/3A
Old 09-29-2007, 09:50 AM

Gravel Sheild V.3; Can less be more?

Will smaller be better?

Taking a que from the gravel sheild being sold on eBay for the RC18T, I decided to come up with a more compact version of the sheild. The main purposes being that there would be less edge surface to seal and eliminate having to remove it to change out Batt packs between runs.
I also revisited the 'screw mount' method but this time incorporating existing screws on the chassis.

Here are the prototypes to be tested this weekend..

Single Motor Version;

Twin Motor Version;

As shown in the single motor version I used just the very corner of the packaging to cover the open side by the batt pack.

As shown in both versions, I used white foam double stick tape to form the seal around the edges. The sticky is basically needed only for the attachment to the sheild not necessarily the chassis. The foam virtually fills in any gaps or openings.

A good bashing is on the menu for the weekend to test the latest designs. Does it seem like I am insanely obsessed with curing the problem of spur gear pebbles? You're bloody right I am.

cheers
Old 09-29-2007, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alfred Send a message via MSN to alfred Send a message via Yahoo to alfred
Nice man.....at least the motor will be able to breath and so will the batts.......and this should make changing the batts easy.
Spektrumized
Old 09-29-2007, 11:45 AM

Send a message via AIM to Erock 808
I think that you got it BB! Can't wait for the results.
Old 09-29-2007, 05:27 PM

What is as bad as pebbles in your spur gear? ..Sand. Nonetheless this version of the shield has been the most successful.

During the first batt pack run for Red the sand found it's way around the open side shield that had no foam tape. The fortunate thing about sand is that it crushes much easier than stone and does clear itself out. I added foam tape to that side for the second batt pack and Red marched through it without incident. Black on the other hand did extremely well with the totally sealed shields for both batt pack runs.

Sand dust did manage to find it's way inside both vehicles shields and I am suspecting it's from that little slot on the bottom side of the chassis that exposes a bit of the spur gear. Don't know what type of tape will withstand a bash through a full pack rundown sticking to the bottom of a chassis that gets literally raked through the dirt/pebbles/sand.

Alfred asked if I thought of marketting the shield. I am not a profiteer like that, I have no plans to do so. My aim is to come up with economical solutions and fixes that incur little or no cost using on-hand materials that anyone and everyone can do themselves. But I would like to see Megatech perhaps develope an enclosure for the pinion/spur gear assembly and incorporate it on the Propulse chassis.

(I am posting action pics from the Bash Test in a seperate thread.)

cheers
Old 09-29-2007, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alfred Send a message via MSN to alfred Send a message via Yahoo to alfred
I didnt ask you to make a profit....you can at least use the mullah to fund your rc addiction. Hey at least it kept the bigger pebbles out.
Spektrumized
Old 09-29-2007, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfred View Post
I didnt ask you to make a profit....you can at least use the mullah to fund your rc addiction. Hey at least it kept the bigger pebbles out.
This version did really well. Totally sealing all gaps is the ticket. That little slot on the bottom has to be dealt with though.

To support my R/C addiction I would Have to make a Big profit..

cheers
Old 09-29-2007, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator

Yes you do, lol........its all about having fun, just too bad we dont live close to each other.
Spektrumized
Old 09-29-2007, 06:53 PM

Send a message via AIM to Erock 808
Sound like you had a blast! Man, I live out here in the middle of the sea and I rarely get a chance to go to the beach!? One of these days I'm gonna have to make an extra effort to go. Only thing is I don't have a camera capable to do "burst" shots like yours.
Old 09-29-2007, 08:10 PM

Quote:
..its all about having fun, just too bad we dont live close to each other.
It would truly be fun, we'd would no doubt be kicking the stuffing out each other's basher's..

cheers mate
Old 09-29-2007, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator

yes we would.....but i think the women would really get upset....two guys hanging out and drinking beers and tinkering.......
Spektrumized
Old 09-29-2007, 08:33 PM

Quote:
..but i think the women would really get upset..
Dude.. I am familiar with that first hand. The ex-wife scuttled many a racing team by 'teaming up' with their wives to put the kabash on our efforts because we were having fun. Just couldn't get her interested enough in my hobbies for her to get any appreciation out of it.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator

Well i think my girl would have a blast tearing my stuff up....lol.....now that would not be a funny site.
Spektrumized