YourMicro.com - HPI Micro RS4, Losi Mini-T, XRay M18, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, M18, M18T, RC18T, Mini-LST, Mini-T, Micro RS4, XRay, 1/18, 18th scale
M18 Hop-Ups, M18 Parts, Mini-LST Hop-Ups, Mini-LST Parts, Kyosho, Atomic, 3Racing, Country Alloy Works, Castle Creations, Trinity, Intellect, United RC, Battery Packs, 2/3A
Old 04-18-2007, 07:11 PM

Mamba 25 calibration question

Ok, so my CC thunderbird won't work. I purchased a mamba 25.....

During the calibration phase, the ESC basically asks three questions- where is full throttle position, where is full reverse position, and where is netural position. when I get to the netural position step, the ESC just sits there blinking the yellow light at me, waiting for me to put the transmitter back to netural. When I do this by releasing the trigger, the ESC still just sits there beeping and flashing the yellow light at me. It's like it cannot find the netural postion. When I switch the ESC to the steering channel (wheel) it works just fine. Now this is the same stock transmitter that worked with the Thunderbird. Any ideas? Ive played the trim controls all over the place.

Chris

Last edited by Ckoz5.0; 04-18-2007 at 09:21 PM.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:41 PM
pEtEr

The thunderbird is the plane esc from castle. and It will not work right in a car. I would call castle for help. http://www.castlecreations.com/support.html
Old 04-19-2007, 08:31 PM

no. I switched my thunderbird for a mamba 25 and that one ont work...
Old 04-19-2007, 10:34 PM
pEtEr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckoz5.0 View Post
no. I switched my thunderbird for a mamba 25 and that one ont work...
whoops sorry my bad, misread your post.

what radio are you using? and did you set all the trims?
Old 04-20-2007, 06:33 AM

stock am transmitter. i set the trim all over the place. The crazy thing is, it will work every time when I switch the ESC to work off of the steering channel.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:25 AM
pEtEr

I would call castle, They helped me trouble shoot a used mamba I bought.
Old 04-21-2007, 07:51 AM

Never Mind

Never mind on the calibration issue, the god damned brand new Airtronics receiver has a bad channel.

Just for Fun, lets total up all my failures on my Micro-T Lipo project:

1. Bought Novak XXL from an ebayer, never shipped -$26.00
2. Bought Airtronics AM receiver to work with stock transmitter -FUBAR $30+ Plus just plain stupid to do.
3) Bought Feaigo brushless/Thunderbird 9 combo from BS ebayer who said it would work, it dont. $50+
4) Waited 18 days for ahole to ship Mamba 25 in uninsured, unpadded envelope. Paid full boat retail. $80.00
5) Had to remachine HOT racing products front kunckles because they failed to tap the damn holes.
6) Purchased Lipo battery per someones posting on here that it would fit- FUBAR $21.00
7) Purchased 'Super strong front steering link with exacting tolerances'. Made from a sanded down Zip tie. $7.00

Looking back, I wish I never saw that Micro T sitting on the shelf. I wish I never found The Captians Lipo Project. I could have taken my $300.00+ and spent it on my kids. Now I remember why I stopped pissing my money away on this crap. Goddamn it. I've been screwing around with this for three months and I still dont have a car to drive. WTF.
Old 04-21-2007, 02:21 PM

Wow that just sounds painful, I’d probably give up eBay it just doesn’t seem to work for you. So far I’ve been lucky on that score at least, helped mostly by not being the trusting type carefully checking out the sellers actual feedback along with the rating and paying close attention to the description of the product.

Have had had projects where everything went wrong and it did seem that the more I tried the worse it got until in disgust I had to chuck the whole idea.

Fortunately for me my Micro-T experience has been the exact opposite:
  • Cannibalized a Mamba25 from one of my larger cars and after a month or so of searching scored a brand new replacement for $54.50 including shipping, shipped lightning fast in padded envelope no damage, BTW that’s the 3rd new Mamba25 that I’ve scarfed up for under $55 excluding tax.
  • Had some E-Tec 210 LiPo cells on hand from my Epoch projects but after trying a set in a Micro-T and not liking it (C rating to low) but not a loss just converted it back to 2p for the Epochs. After some searching I finally went with Fullriver 250’s to make my own LiPo packs after reading TheSteeves’s post w/photo’s of them in his car for confirmation, along with verifying the cell sizes. Cells shipped form England, again surprisingly fast I ended up making four packs w/ McT connectors for ~$15 each, sold two at $20 each, so the two I kept cost me a whopping $20.
  • Another great score on the DIY battery pack side was the 350mah LiIons can’t remember how much I paid but it wasn’t much and although not great for a stock McT they are a treat in both my brushless an LIT CB modified Micro-T’s, now use them more than the LiPo packs.
  • $7 for tie rods, ouch! I’ve built an given away dozens of sets made from everything I could think of or read about in a search for the ultimate material, zip ties, guitar picks, you name it, my favorite ended up being cut from the 0.003” spring steel leaf out of a feeler gage set.
  • For the McT at least everything just seems to be working, did get a little egg on my face by not looking close enough when quickly peeking under the end-bell of an Atomic BB motor but that lead to upgrading not only the Atomic motor with actual ball bearings but the stock too which I probably wouldn’t have tried if it weren’t for the non-bb Atomic BB. Even my body painting turned out, and for me that’s saying something since my paint jobs are more often than not something a 4 year would find less than special.
  • So far the only disappointment was a $14 set of Hot Racing shocks that to be fair are only lacking when compared to the Atomic “oil” aka grease shocks with Xmod springs that I picked up for $20.

Adding up the numbers if it looks like I may have spent less for two fully functional screaming micro monsters than you have already for one that still doesn’t work, except for the $80 Spectrum receiver now in my brushless Micro-T that is, but it worked a tread with the $15 used 27MHz Am XXL from a LHS too.

If all that happened to me I’d probably have converted it back to stock, painted it lemon yellow.

Last edited by lbrc; 04-21-2007 at 02:27 PM.
Old 04-28-2007, 01:51 PM

Sorry to hear about your Micro-T problems. Buying options and add-ons for an RC car is supposed to be fun, not raise your blood pressure.

Like lbrc I've had pretty good luck so far. You really need to do tons of research and see what credible people say work.
The only thing I've purchased that I am no longer using is a Castle phx-10. I was able to use it and make it work in the Micro-T because my radio has a lot of programming options. It still doesn't compare to a real car controller though like the mamba25. I figure someday I'll have a use for, likely a small plane to put it in, or I'll find a friend who wants it.

Don't give up, just make sure to buy stuff that not only looks good but works great.