YourMicro.com - HPI Micro RS4, Losi Mini-T, XRay M18, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, M18, M18T, RC18T, Mini-LST, Mini-T, Micro RS4, XRay, 1/18, 18th scale
M18 Hop-Ups, M18 Parts, Mini-LST Hop-Ups, Mini-LST Parts, Kyosho, Atomic, 3Racing, Country Alloy Works, Castle Creations, Trinity, Intellect, United RC, Battery Packs, 2/3A
Old 01-16-2007, 04:47 AM

LiPo vs NiMH

Hi there

like the topic says, LiPo vs NiMH....

I've been reading a few threads trying to gather up information, but I can't seem to figure out whats best for me. So can someone just please list what are the negatives and positives of the 2 types.

Like I know the LiPo's are lighter and all, but then they don't have as good discharge.... and they seem to have less capacitance? yet pplz say they have longer run time. And how long compared to the same MAH NiMH would a LiPo take to charge?

I'm just want at least half an hour worth of run time or something....
Then theres also the different sizes and if they fit.... man this is so hard lol.

Someone help meeeee
Old 01-17-2007, 12:39 AM

???
lipos have excellent discharge.
pros & cons...

pros - lighter, longer runtime vs. niMh (the amount depends on your driving habits, brushed vs brusheless..), better $ value/mAh

cons - can only be charged at 1C or less (ie. longer charge times), need a lipo charger (more $$), more volatile (ie. more care in charging and handling)

1/18th scale homeRmade lids...
more...
more2...
Old 01-17-2007, 01:27 AM

ok so if you have the money it's best to go to LiPo.

only thing that conserns me now is it takes double as long to recharge right?
so does it have about double as much run time?

And I heard that since the LiPo packs are so small, they can't actually discharge as quickly as a bunch of NiMH's, so does that play any part in anything? I'm not going for huge speeds, more for drifting or racing around a bit....

I donno if you could give me a quick figure, but i might aswell ask.... if I had a Castle Creations 1/18 Mamba Brushless Competition X Pack and a 3 cell 1450mah lipo battery pack how much runtime around about would I have? (average)

And what does the 20C, 15C, etc mean?

I probably only want to spend like 200 bucks on a whole setup, so I'd be getting 2 smaller packs and whats a good charger?

thanks for your help

~Danz
Old 01-17-2007, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzzigger View Post
And I heard that since the LiPo packs are so small, they can't actually discharge as quickly as a bunch of NiMH's, so does that play any part in anything? I'm not going for huge speeds, more for drifting or racing around a bit....

And what does the 20C, 15C, etc mean?

~Danz
I would love to know where you got that misinformation. No, size does not matter. Its the C rating and mah.

Take your mah and divide that by 1000.

So a 2000 mah pack becomes 2amps. (Which btw is the maximum rate you can charge it at)

Now, take the 2 amps, and times it by the C rating. Lets us a 10C rating. Your total equals 20amps.

so.

(MAH/1000) X C rating=Amperage.

You want a pack that can do about 16amps continuous for onroad, and 22 continous for offroad with brushless.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:38 PM

awesome man, this is the kinda information I've trying to be digging up. Thanks heaps for the post....

I got the info from another post, think he was mentioning that the packs we can fit in our micros don't have the 'C' and MAH rating a NiMH has.... I donno....

What about the limit of turns on a brushless I heard about? like 27 or something rediculous

does anyone know what a castle creations kv 8000 micro motor is? (turns)