YourMicro.com - HPI Micro RS4, Losi Mini-T, XRay M18, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, M18, M18T, RC18T, Mini-LST, Mini-T, Micro RS4, XRay, 1/18, 18th scale
M18 Hop-Ups, M18 Parts, Mini-LST Hop-Ups, Mini-LST Parts, Kyosho, Atomic, 3Racing, Country Alloy Works, Castle Creations, Trinity, Intellect, United RC, Battery Packs, 2/3A
Old 06-20-2006, 10:04 PM
Micro Novice

Newbie to the scene

Well, I think this is as good a thread as any to post the topic. I've just recently entered the "Hobby" level of R/C vehicles having dabbled around since I was 5 with the "toy" counterparts.

Many a day was spent wiled away behind the controls of Turbo Hoppers, Funny Firebirds, Aero Hoppers, Ford Cobras etc. Not to mention the stacks of RC Car action mags I used to collect.

Anyway, my first vehicle is of course the Tamiya Rockbuster. It's a fantastic piece of machinery, plenty of fun both indoors and out. I haven't installed 4ws yet but it turns on a dime in empty parking lots.

On my first run, (with the rapid stopping and starting and no threadlock) I managed to shake the securing screw loose on the belt pulley on the spur gear shaft. That made for quite the frightening scenario as the truck lost power suddenly and made plenty of noise.

Still though, it's great fun and I'm looking into getting the Y cable for 4ws
Old 06-20-2006, 10:24 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alfred Send a message via MSN to alfred Send a message via Yahoo to alfred
Welcome to YM man.....may you find all your answers here.
Spektrumized
Old 06-21-2006, 02:22 AM
96744 Micro's

Yah Ditto what Alfred said!

And yes with the TLT especially in stock form you will want to use some threadlock on most of the screws/nuts.!
Old 06-21-2006, 08:45 AM
Micro Novice

Quote:
Originally posted by Xtant3150c
Yah Ditto what Alfred said!

And yes with the TLT especially in stock form you will want to use some threadlock on most of the screws/nuts.!
Indeed, since I also found one of the screws attaching the suspension links to the body loosened. I'm going to wait till I get the "Y" cable and install the other servo before I threadlock everything.

I'm going to leave it mostly stock (maybe I'll add a 3ch radio at a later date) because I like the old-school Nintendo RC Pro/Am look and feel of the truck.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alfred Send a message via MSN to alfred Send a message via Yahoo to alfred
And dont forget to pick yourself up some blue Loctite.....dont ever go with the red, its way too strong....And keep us updated with the 4ws.
Spektrumized
Old 06-21-2006, 09:15 AM
Micro Novice

Quote:
Originally posted by alfred
And dont forget to pick yourself up some blue Loctite.....dont ever go with the red, its way too strong....And keep us updated with the 4ws.
Oh I will. I'm really only getting 4ws for coolness factor since the truck steers just fine now (probably because I turned up the servo travel on the transmitter)

One other thing I'm noticing is that despite all the "OH NOES! IT'S TEH TOPHEAVY!" complaints I've seen on various forums, it's damn near impossible to flip this truck on my runs, even when I slam the brakes and turn the wheel suddenly to spin it around at full throttle. The suspension seems to absorb the majority of the centripetal forces that would otherwise make it flip and so the truck leans pretty seriously into turns, straightening up on straightaways.

The flipping issue is something I've only seen in a video from my hobby shop. But then the TLT they're running has been heavily modified (converted to Nitro) and the center of gravity is significantly higher than on the stock truck.

Here's the link:
Nitro Rockbuster
Old 06-21-2006, 09:19 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the link.....bada$$ if i may so myself....So what do you have running under the hood of your Monster.
Spektrumized
Old 06-21-2006, 09:32 AM
Micro Novice

I've got this under the hood. Nothing legendary, but it's certainly good enough for what I want right now.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator

Nice motor.....but what i mean is what batts,esc and the likes do you have under there.
Spektrumized
Old 06-21-2006, 09:52 AM
Micro Novice

LOL doh! The battery is the Tamiya stock (made for the TLT) for the ESC I'd have to go read the box as I'm drawing a blank right now (it's at home, and I'm at work)
Old 06-21-2006, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator

LOL, just dont let your boss find out man......
Spektrumized
Old 06-21-2006, 11:36 AM
Micro Novice

I've actually got a question about powerplants. What are the plusses/minuses to having more turns/less turns or brushless etc? I see these terms bandied about a lot but haven't been able to find a difinitive guide.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

Put it this way....the less turns a motor has the faster it is.....the more turns a motor has you will get torque and less speed. Its like comparing a 17t to a 19t motor....the 17t will of course be faster.......but you also have to remember the gearing and spur ratios will also play a part in this as well.........with a faster motor you will sacrifice runtimes.
Spektrumized
Old 06-21-2006, 02:23 PM
96744 Micro's

Sounds like a nice setup!

I was going to run that motor in my TLT when I first got it to!
But had an Epic Outlaw Stock motor already so just went with that

Agree that in stock form I never had any flip overs either. And I ran my truck inside on carpet.

A good thing to look into is a TA04 gear diff! It replaces the stock center ball diff. The gear diff will allow you to lock the center diff thus giving you full drive power to both front and rear!

It makes a big improvement on the TLT's capabilities both inside and outside!
Old 06-21-2006, 07:41 PM
Micro Novice

Ok, now that I'm home:

Speed Controller:
JR SC-1
JRPSP100

It's got proportional forward and reverse and it's got one touch setup so it works for me. The only sticking point I have is that it needs two reverse inputs to go into reverse, which takes some getting used to.

Radio
Airtronics Blazer Sport D/R 102 (2 Servos)

Last edited by Sayer; 06-21-2006 at 07:53 PM.