YourMicro.com - HPI Micro RS4, Losi Mini-T, XRay M18, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, M18, M18T, RC18T, Mini-LST, Mini-T, Micro RS4, XRay, 1/18, 18th scale
M18 Hop-Ups, M18 Parts, Mini-LST Hop-Ups, Mini-LST Parts, Kyosho, Atomic, 3Racing, Country Alloy Works, Castle Creations, Trinity, Intellect, United RC, Battery Packs, 2/3A
Old 10-02-2007, 10:23 PM

Underside Slot Cover V.1

Mulled over a few ideas on how to cover the slot on the underside of the chassis beneath the spur gear.

Rummaging through a misc. pieces/parts/junk box I found these little foam squares. I have no recall of what they were from but thought they might be of some use..

So I stuck one over the slot and it covers it perfectly. The immediate problem that came to mind was how easily it would get scraped off after the first few yards of bashing over any rough surface.

Came up with the clear plastic Slot Cover Protector Shield..

It should do the trick, but I am not thoroughly confident that the plastic will withstand the bashing either.

You may have noticed the bits of copper just off to the side in the pics and thinking.."Bloody.. what's up with the metal?" Well, I have been having ideas for a while.. (could just be from pounding metal every day at the shop and breathing too much acetylene from years of welding ).. I have been working on skid plate designs as well as metal replacements for other parts.
I don't really want to reveal too much yet but here's a sneak preview of a partial rough for chassis pan and skid plate idea..

Some or all of you may be thinking.. "Bloody.. you've definitely gone cracker's. What about the weight?"
Well, it's light guage copper, it's not all that heavy. And besides.. I might need a little extra weight and protection when I finally get my hands on Megatech's brushless set up .

cheers

Last edited by BloodyBastard; 10-03-2007 at 03:50 AM.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:29 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alfred Send a message via MSN to alfred Send a message via Yahoo to alfred
The foams things that you were talking about are the inserts for the rubbers for the mrs4 rims.....lol.....i see that your brain is still thinking.....cant wait to see whats coming now, anything to make it better and the fun longer right.
Spektrumized
Old 10-03-2007, 01:39 AM

Send a message via AIM to Erock 808
The madman BB is at it again!!! LOL
Old 10-03-2007, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfred View Post
The foams things that you were talking about are the inserts for the rubbers for the mrs4 rims.....lol.....i see that your brain is still thinking...
Ding! Now I remember that I leave them out on purpose with the rubber tires. Makes soft compounds super soft. No wonder I have so many in that box.. (you obviously were being sarcastic about that 'thinking' comment )

Erock, sometimes I wish I could shut my brain off so I can get some bloody sleep!

cheers
Old 10-03-2007, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alfred Send a message via MSN to alfred Send a message via Yahoo to alfred
I dont really dont know how to be sarcastic......and im not joking about that either....just meant that your always trying to improve on what you have.
Spektrumized
Old 10-03-2007, 07:36 PM

Ahh, no worries mate.. I understood that you were sincere and I appreciate that . I was just making fun of how I forgot what those foams were for .
I do like tinkering with stuff and figuring out ways to make improvements. And if its economical enough for everyone to incorporate then it's only right that it should be shared.

cheers
Old 10-03-2007, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator

Right on man......you should have made your avatar a tad bit bigger....gotta love those action shots.
Spektrumized
Old 10-03-2007, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfred View Post
Right on man......you should have made your avatar a tad bit bigger....gotta love those action shots.
I wish I had the camera closer for that shot. The problem is if I zoom in on that frame or try to enlarge it the image starts to pixelize. Thats the one drawback to clipping still shots from avi's. You are virtually stuck with what you have.

cheers
Old 10-04-2007, 04:17 PM

Oooohhh.... Shiny....

You could try using a preview of Adobe Photoshop, and using the "Free Transform" function to make it larger. I dunno, you may have tried it, but... it was worth suggesting, maybe.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffolaey11 View Post
Oooohhh.... Shiny....

You could try using a preview of Adobe Photoshop, and using the "Free Transform" function to make it larger. I dunno, you may have tried it, but... it was worth suggesting, maybe.
'shiney' matters not.. it won't be after the first run.

I have already spent all the time and effort I care to in the avatars.
Old 10-07-2007, 03:12 PM

The test results for the Underside Shield V.1 together with Gravel Shield V.3 on 'Black' are in and it's a success. Blew through 2 batt packs bashing on the mini-dunes and not one morsel found it's way to the spur gear.
I also resurrected the Half-8 after working out some chassis tweaks. Eliminating the Atomic aftermarket alloy parts was key to being able to make a major chassis adjustment. The adjustment was needed to ensure proper alignment of the pinion gear to the slipper clutch. I have since run through 4 packs and it is holding solid. Took the Half-8 along for the latest Sand Bash..

This shot depicts the amount of 'adjustment' that was necessary to achieve the gear alignment. The Mini Inferno has 'cross struts' that can be lengthened or shortened as needed to tweak the chassis. The adjustment cranked the front shock tower back to where I had to drill new holes for the body..

After the bash, they're both a bit dirty but intact. A few action clips from today's tests will be posted in another thread..

..cheers
Old 10-07-2007, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator

Looking good man.........
Spektrumized
Old 10-07-2007, 03:17 PM

Send a message via AIM to Erock 808
lookin' good indeed!